Thread: Trouble using VNC with a cable modem

Trouble using VNC with a cable modem

I am having no luck getting through the gf's Motorola SB5101 cable modem (Time-Warner) to the VPN at work.

I can hit it with my laptop through the LAN at my place and through the LAN at work.

Is there a way of sending the output of IPCONFIG to a file so I can compare the settings of my FIOS modem to her cable modem?

Just type ipconfig /all. Then right-click anywhere on the command prompt and select Mark. Move the cursor on the top left corner of the output keep the left button pressed while moving towards the right bottom. Release the mouse button when done. Then go to the marked area and right-click once.
    Create a new text document, open it and select paste. Finally, save that file.

Another way is to type ipconfig /all and hit the Print Screen on your keyboard. Then go to Start, Programs, Accessories and run Paint. Go to Edit and select Paste. Save the file as a .jpg image and you're done.

Hope that helps.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Specifically...what steps do you do to VPN to the office?
    Are you using a VPN client...such as Microsofts built in PPTP VPN dialer?
    Or a 3rd party VPN client, like Sonicwalls Global VPN, or a Cisco dialer?
    VPN clients will give you an error code if they fail, to help in troubleshooting.

IPCONFIG output will not give you information to help for a VPN, only IP address settings that are handed to you from the DHCP service.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Specifically...what steps do you do to VPN to the office?
    Are you using a VPN client...such as Microsofts built in PPTP VPN dialer?
    Or a 3rd party VPN client, like Sonicwalls Global VPN, or a Cisco dialer?
    VPN clients will give you an error code if they fail, to help in troubleshooting.

IPCONFIG output will not give you information to help for a VPN, only IP address settings that are handed to you from the DHCP service.
    I have taken pictures of the various screens on my laptop.

Is there a way to attach photos to these messages directly or do I need someplace to host the photos?

PM sent
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Alrighty...so, based on the screenshots you gave me, that's a Windows PPTP VPN connection. And you appear to successfully connect. And I see your remote VNC viewer....looks like you connect to quite a few different machines.

I don't see any VNC errors though, and the last screenie, you appear to successfully connect to the VNC host, as I see a WinXP desktop.

Can you send screenshots of the actual errors that you get?
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
    Alrighty...so, based on the screenshots you gave me, that's a Windows PPTP VPN connection. And you appear to successfully connect. And I see your remote VNC viewer....looks like you connect to quite a few different machines.
    Yep, we have a bunch that we need to get into from time to time.

We are a broadcast group and it is a 24/7 operation.
    I don't see any VNC errors though, and the last screenie, you appear to successfully connect to the VNC host, as I see a WinXP desktop.
    That was all from my house and it is working just fine.

Can you send screenshots of the actual errors that you get?
    I will be down at the gf's place this week and will be putting the router back in, so I will get you a shot of the error screen.

Thanks for helping me with this.

Glad to help, we'll get it figured out.
    May find some better setups for you too.

Just a heads up...my week will be getting hectic...gotta do a big upgrade on a large network ..so may take me a few hours to get the time to reply to an e-mail. I'll see your e-mail before I see posts you make here...so send e-mail first.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Glad to help, we'll get it figured out.
    May find some better setups for you too.

Just a heads up...my week will be getting hectic...gotta do a big upgrade on a large network ..so may take me a few hours to get the time to reply to an e-mail. I'll see your e-mail before I see posts you make here...so send e-mail first.
    I have a fairly frantic week coming up myself, so there may not be much time until next week.

More pictures sent

Hmmm....
    When you connect to a new network with Vista/XP for the first time....it will identify it as a new network (based on mac address of gateway)...and that Windows firewall wizard will prompt you as to what type of network (of the 3 choices) you wish to give it...home/work/public.

Vista and 7 have a firewall which also does outbound filtering.

I'm suspecting that it's stopping outbound.

Next time you're at her house, lets try (temporarily) disabling the Windows firewall....just be sure to turn it back on so your laptop is safe next time you venture out to a pub network.

Start Button...Network, right click and select properties.
    That brings up your manage network window...from there, in the lower left corner, you should see a link for Windows Firewall. Click on that and you'll see various settings, but eyeball the link for "Turn Windows Firewall On or Off"....shut her off, and try VNC.

Also lets see if something with her router is making thinks wonky with netbios, and lets also do this experiment at home...I'm curious what they guys did to get you name resolution through a PPTP VPN tunnel. This is related to "name resolution"..which normally isn't very good with VPN tunnels, so other tricks are employed. I see in your screenshots that you have your VNC hosts set to connect to the netbios name of the host computers, not the LAN IP address. Normally I'd setup remote hosts to be on static IP addresses and connect to them via IP, not host name. In your case this means you have added "organization" on your end..since you connect to so many different hosts, you'll have to memorize which IP is what host computer that you need to connect to.

Anyways...back to this experiment, from your home network (once you connect via the VPN) start==>run==>cmd and this will bring up a DOS looking window. Type in "ping frontdesk" without the quotes ...and substituting some names of the VNC host computers for frontdesk.

I'm going to assume that from your home network, you will get 4 replies. Write down the IP address that it gives you in the replies...and take that information with you to try at her network.

Now try the same from her network, after you connect with the VPN client. I bet you'll get a cannot find error when you try to ping by netbios name. Now try to ping via the IP address that you got from the replies when you ran this from your home network.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Disabling the firewall did not help.

However, I pinged quite a few of the computers at the office from my home network and came up with a list of IP addresses.

Some came up with 10.something and some came up with 192.something.

When I pinged some of the same computers from the g/f's network, I came up with 24.28.193.9 for every computer I tried.

When I cranked up VNC on the g/f's network and used the 10.something numbers I got at home, I got through. When I tried the 24.28.193.9 that I had just got from pinging, I got the timeout error.
    Last edited by Don Burke; 01-03-10 at 02:49 PM.