Thread: Installing Windows 7 to a Netbook with no dvd drive?

Installing Windows 7 to a Netbook with no dvd drive?

Hey everyone,

Quick question. I am installing Windows 7 on a friends computer he has a MSI-Wind 100 Netbook and their is no dvd drive. I have a 4gb flash drive that I am going to put the ISO on and boot from USB. He lives kind of far away and I want to get it right the first time.

He bought this netbook off some kid and it currently has Mac OSx on it. I keep reading all sorts of different things on the web about how to go about doing this. I believe I need the USB drive to be set to active and NTFS.

Is their some way I can just pre setup everything on my computer before I get to his house and just set the bios to load from usb first then load up the usb drive and format everything and do a clean install. Or do I have to go through Mac OSx to get it to work.

Any help is more then appreciated.
    Thanks, Harley
    If you won't stand behind the troops then you can trying standing in front of them.

Nice, that looks like the most simple way to do it hands down. All these other guides I found seemed way to complicated for the average joe trying to install on his netbook. I'm about to try it later and let you know how it goes.

Thanks, Harley
    If you won't stand behind the troops then you can trying standing in front of them.

yep, aside from just using an external USB DVD drive, a flash drive is quite easy. just keep in mind it can take more or less time compared to a DVD drive depending on the speed class of the flash memory (class 2, class 4 and so forth) but it will definitely work. if youre shopping for media i would make sure its at least class 6 or higher.
    "Today is a black day in the history of mankind."

- Leo Szilard

Another option is you have the iso on the flash drive is to just copy it to your hard drive and use a program like virtual clone drive http://www.slysoft.com/en/virtual-clonedrive.html to mount the iso image. This may be faster than installing off a flash drive. But seeing that you currently have Mac OSX on the netbook this may not work.

Anyone know of a way I can just copy the ISO over and run it in mac osx? I'm thinking its not possible. I know their is a program called mountme which is like daemon tools for Mac.

Faust, how can I tell what class my usb drive is?

I installed Vista business with a flash drive once. It was pretty neat.

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    yep, aside from just using an external USB DVD drive, a flash drive is quite easy. just keep in mind it can take more or less time compared to a DVD drive depending on the speed class of the flash memory (class 2, class 4 and so forth) but it will definitely work. if youre shopping for media i would make sure its at least class 6 or higher.
    My install went pretty fast.

Quote Originally Posted by opmharley View Post
    Faust, how can I tell what class my usb drive is?
    either by looking up the specs from the mfgr or just try moving a large file onto/off of the drive. im unfamiliar enough with OS X to know if it reports disk transfer speeds or if you will have to time it and do the math. you could create a .zip file with a nice round size like 500MB or 1GB or whatever, adding whatever files to the .zip till it was exactly the size needed.

about halfway down this page there is a chart for reference.

the sdhc cards i have used were class 4, which seemed a bit slower than a DVD-ROM, which is why i recommeded something faster if you were shopping for a flash drive. if not, whatever you have on hand will work fine. not like you will be installing on a daily basis.

- Leo Szilard

Quote Originally Posted by CableDude View Post
    My install went pretty fast.
    sure didnt seem that way to me. i admit when im sitting there doing nothing i get kinda fidgety so it could have been all in my head, but at best it was equal to a DVD, iirc

- Leo Szilard

sure didnt seem that way to me. i admit when im sitting there doing nothing i get kinda fidgety so it could have been all in my head, but at best it was equal to a DVD, iirc
    Ok, I didn't sit there and watch it. So maybe it was not that fast.

But, it was neat to be able to do it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by CableDude View Post
    Ok, I didn't sit there and watch it. So maybe it was not that fast.

But, it was neat to be able to do it that way.
    indeed!

as a matter of fact, what it did for me more than anything was key me into the class ratings of flash media. before then it wasnt something i paid any attention to. and, since theyre getting used for more things other than just secondary/portable file storage (readyburst, as an example), the speed rating is at least the #2 priority after storage space. maybe #1 depending on how itll be used.

- Leo Szilard

indeed!

as a matter of fact, what it did for me more than anything was key me into the class ratings of flash media. before then it wasnt something i paid any attention to. and, since theyre getting used for more things other than just secondary/portable file storage (readyburst, as an example), the speed rating is at least the #2 priority after storage space. maybe #1 depending on how itll be used.

In a dry but moldy New Orleans, Louisiana
    This is all theory because Iíve never had to do it. Iím almost certain itíll work if your PC has the ďBoot from USBĒ option in the bios.

Take at least a four gig USB drive and copy over the CD and this file. Without that file the CD wonít be bootable. You can make a direct copy of a CD and if you donít extract that file and add it that CD wonít be bootable. Just MS up to their sneaky tricks again.

If you want to cut down on the massive initial update times, slipstream SP3 into it before the install, using nLite. Itís a matter of personal preference but I didnít include IE8, Iím happy with 7.

Sliding down the banister of life ..........................