Thread: BlackICE Defender ver 1.9.6

Post BlackICE Defender ver 1.9.6

Totally deleted network ice from desktop and got rid of all registry entries. Downloaded version 1.9.6 upgrade and reinstalled. Still have the maddening service log and blackd.log files appearing on my desktop, this is driving me nuts. Still like the program, but the bugs are starting to get to me. This is a problem that should be easily fixed in the code. If anyone knows how I can fix this, let me know. By the way, the upgrade (totally unannounced) via the website fixes the problem with the ini files, etc, that people were upset with. I just want to get rid of the damned desktop files, no reason for them to be there in the 1st place. All done venting now.

Where did you get 1.9.6 ?

Wanna share ;-)

creed53

Question

Steve Im using blackice 194 and have no problems with the log files appearing on desk top , is this common with all installs of 194 and can you steer me in the direction of 196 thnx Creed

binky

updating is built into BI, click the icon on the left side of the title bar and go to black ice utilites/update black ice, will download the update automagically.

downhill

Lightbulb

Hi Steve. I too had the same problem. Download Startup Cop from Cnet and have it remove the two offending files. Leave the Black Ice start up in the tray however. This solved it for me.

sidewinderd

Here's where you can get a evaluation copy of BlackIce.
    http://www.strega.org/FOSI/

having trouble finding the link to startup cop on cnet. Any helpful ideas? If this works I'd be a happy camper.

finally found the link to startup cop & downloaded it. Still having trouble finding the 2 offending files, especially in the list in startup cop. It has LoadBlackD and BlackIce (both are executables). Any ideas, downhill? Thanks in advance.

Cool

Downhill, you da man! Thanks. I just disabled the 2 LoadBlackD files, and now it works like it should have in the 1st place.
    Thanks again, man, that has been driving me crazy for a couple weeks now.

pkripr

I must be missing something - someone please explain all the hype about BlackICEDefender.

It's not a firewall? - it falls in the network scanner category or intrusion detection... right?

It doesnt actually block traffic does it? It just tells you who's on yor box at that particular moment of intrusion.. right?

Any input would be appreciated.

------------------
    aaaah.. pk ... rip ... stop ... burn baby burn!!

UHHHHHH.... Guys.......
    You NEED to be running Blackd. That's whats keeping your PC safe. Blackice.exe is the program sitting in your systray. It's the GUI FOR Blackd.exe . Without Blackd.exe running, your ports are wide open fer attack.

Now, as far as having Blackd starting up twice, blackd had a problem with individual users on 1 PC. When you first booted up n selected a user, you were protected. But....
    When you logged off, and then back on as either the same or different user, Blackice would run, but not Blackd(which is needed. thats what watches your ports.)
    From what i can tell, and have tried myself to see if it works, was to delete the 2 registry entrys relating to the start-up of Blackd.exe(It gets started from the registry). Then copied n pasted the blackd icon(shieldw/green circle) to both my start up folder, n my wifes start up folder.(we have users set up on this PC) Worked like a charm. I did this test on an older version,(1.8.6.11) when they only had 1 reg entry to start up Blackd.exe . Network ICE admitted blackICE had a problem w/multiple users,(bit of a bug) and that was why I deleted the reg entrys and instead copied n pasted the blackd icon to BOTH start-up folders. So whenever I've upgraded, I've just done the same thing.

Hope this clears up the confusion a little, and makes some sense. If not Please, feel free to ask more about it.

BAITCASTER

[This message has been edited by Baitcaster (edited 01-20-2000).]

pkripr

Ok next question .. where might one (find) blackd.exe? I see the blackice.exe is all over the place. Dont bother posting the net ice website. Ive been there and thats not the one i was looking for.

I'd like to try something like that before i buy it. (cough)

pkripr

Also, would you use it with ConSeal Firewall or is ConSeal not need when using BlackICE?

thanks

BlackD IS PART of blackice.
    BlackICE has two programs in it.
    1) blackice.exe
    2) blackD.exe
    when you download blackice, you get both files.
    Blackd runs in the background, blackice(in system tray) configures blackd
    get it yet ?

pkripr

got it. actually i figured that out after i posted.

thanks

downhill

Red face

Opps....your right on, Baitcaster.
    I uninstalled and reinstalled to get the program back up again. I've taken your advice too on the multiple user and it works like a charm. Thanks for the input.
    downhill

Wink

Glad I could help. Don' wanna see anyone gittin their ports "poked" by someone whom is not a welcomed "poker" !

Any other questins, feel free to ask

BAITCASTER