Thread: Conseal Vs. BlackIce.............fight!

Cool Conseal Vs. BlackIce.............fight!

Yo,

As a Christmas present to you all I will be doing an indepth review of Conseal vs. Blackice.

I plan on having it done by Dec 26th. I have been lurking around here for almost five months and I have a strong idea of what you guys want in a review.

I plan on looking at both programs as a newbie and a power user. I'm gonna try make is as impartial as I can, but I'll warn you ahead of time that I like Conseal better, just cause it fits my needs like a glove. However, everyones needs are different and I will most definately take that into account.

So until the 26th......

I'd get it done sooner but I am swamped
    with finals right now.

[This message has been edited by Blades (edited 12-16-1999).]

Lowjack

Thumbs up

I'll be interested in what you discover. Been using BlackIce Defender and am quite happy with it.

I've been using BlackICE Defender for about 6 weeks now, and extremely pleased with the program's utility. Easily configured, have repelled 7 critical attacks, and 19 suspicious attacks in that time, with many other pingers, etc, running TCP port scans, NetBios probes & whatever. I tried ConSeal as free shareware for a couple weeks, before making the decision to buy BlackIce instead.
    If someone was running a server, I would probably recommend ConSeal over BlackICE, for the configurability. For the average cable modem or DSL user, trying to use software based firewall protection, I'd highly recommend BlackICE Defender. PC Magazine sure likes it, it is mentioned in nearly every issue these days, and received a Technical Merit award, as one of the best products of 1999. Philip also likes the program quite a bit. Blades, looking forward to your technical comparison, once you recover from finals!

Unhappy

Yo,

With finals just ending today, and the rush of all my Christmas duties I am swamped. So, the review won't be done until the first week of Jan. Sorry for the wait, but I want to make sure the review is post worthy. I'll probably make a webpage out of it.

My bad.

Sweet! I look forward to it! That's how I kinda started in this biz and I guess how most people do, by starting their own little site. You will be amazed how fast it can grow ;-)

------------------
    Brent a.k.a Borg Drone
    Owner/Webmaster

The websites:

eXplosive3D up soon www.mngamers.com/explosive3d
    Gamers Reality up soon www.gamersreality.com

Out the 100TX, through the switch, down the cable modem, over the fiber optics, off the bridge, past the head end office....nothing but Net

Thumbs up

In the interim, I still strongly support BlackICE, if for no other reason than their customer support and knowledge database.

This report just in, from CNN's technology link on their web site, concerning Y2K prep.
    The link is at:
    http://www.cnn.com/1999/TECH/computi....pc/index.html

Here's the end of the article, for those personal firewall potential buyers!

Lastly, some security professionals are worried that virus authors will use Y2K as an excuse to launch attacks and release viruses. Make sure you update your virus protection software. If you have an "always-on" connection like a cable modem or DSL service, consider getting a personal firewall such as BlackICE Defender by NetworkICE.

That's another pretty ringing endorsement, I would say!

Cool

Yo,

Well the review is under way. I'm trying to get a few minutes here and there to work on the thing. It is slow going, and I can't wait to see how it turns out.

CNN was right to advise people to get a firewall, but for the wrong reasons. Everyone no matter what time of year should have some sort of firewall if they are always online.

Just so you know where my review is heading here are some key points....

1) Blackice is great for the new user with little experience with Internet Protocols.
    It gives "adequate" protectiom, but is quite rigid.

2) Conseal is meant for those who are willing to spend a couple days figuring how a computer communicates. It fits your needs, and it much more powerful than Blackice, and therefore it can provide better security if the user knows what they are doing.

If computers are a hobby of yours then Conseal will definately be a better choice than Blackice. If you know little about computers and you want to feel some protection then Blackice is the way to go.

So there are some of my priliminary thoughts. I will be putting the review on a webpage when it is done.

Merry Xmas

Quickfix19

Question

I work @ rr tech support and someone recently called asked me which of the two was better - I said conseal - I wonder what your report is going to reveal.

------------------
    RR Level Two Tech
    "Don't believe what the other techs tell you!"

HELLO HELLO HELLO
    THE BOYS ARE BACK IN TOWN..
    I,ve been using Conseal Firewall for about a year and a half at home. On the other hand my office is dedicated adsl with a full firewall which runs great using a linux box..
    I must say that at home I,ve play with it and played with it till I found configs to prevent popular "hacker" attacks.. nothing is ever perfect but it does the job.
    I recommend it to all forum users...

LORD STANLEY LIVES IN TORONTO!

yo blades

Where's our (late) Christmas Present ?

Hope u havin fun w/ all your crammin' lol

BAITCASTER