Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Windows Explorer trying to connect to the internet..

Smile

HellsBells I ran a check on the Numbers you had posted. Part of it is your submast (255.255.255. ) Plus there should be one number after those three. It should be a only one to two digets. I talk to the Tec at my Provider. I know him well ,I use to work with him. He said someone is MutiTasking your Ip. This has Nothing to do with the os you use. The submast stays the same In each Os. He said call your provider and let them know whats going on. He said it comeing from the college. More or less as he put it someone may be useing your Ip when your not. He said most college student do this and Know how to get your computer to accept this.So there forth your FireWall Does to. I am just stateing what he told me. This may or may not be your Problem. I myself would check with my provider to be on the safe side. You might go to a web forum and be denied and not no why. Anyway just thought I would let you know. This way you can decide what to do. GoodLuck! Hope you get it straighten out!
    Have A Nice Day!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Storm, I'm checking out other leads first though. Cause other people are having the same problem with the exact same IP address. Some of this has been documented on the web by other people. So far it hasn't been a problem. No trojans or visus have been found and no abnormal PC activity has been going on, so I'm not worried about a "hacker" yet. So I'll see want else I can find or what else "we" find since there are a few of us here with the problem. Thanks alot though for checking it out.

Talking

That sounds good, because if a lot of you are haveing the same problem and it is the collge. You will have a frim case. To turn in. Or figure away to block it. GoodLuck!
    I was thinking sense a few of you are hveing the same problem could it be a software program you are useing or a site you all freqent alot. I don't think its a trojan or virus. It may also be as i said kids fulling around. Any way let me know so I can keep a note on it. So if something like this happens to me,I will have something to go by.

[ 05-08-2001: Message edited by: Storm90 ]
    Have A Nice Day!!!!!!!!!

I,ve discovered somthing here I went to start, settings,controll panel,then went to add remove programs,then clicked on windows setup,took the checkmark out of online services,then when I rebooted windows explorer no longer tried to connect to the internet.I,ll run it this way for a time and see what goes

garymc

msieftp.dll

RE:Explorer.exe tries to connect to internet at boot up.
    This dll file (msieftp.dll) is causing my machine to try and connect with explorer.exe at boot. I deleted it and the erroneous connection effort ceased, but without it I was unable to use IE6 as FTP client. I replaced it with a new copy and the connection effort at boot returned. Obviously, some config or ini file is making this occur? Any ideas?
    garymc