Thread: Any archers here?

Any archers here?

I know Sava bow hunts, anyone else into archery?

Had a bow for years but the only place I had to shoot it was at DePlano's.

Just picked up a Morrell Six Shooter http://www.cabelas.com/p-0004677414935a.shtml and some nice new arrows, going to set up a little range in my back yard.

I never liked compound bows... I got a nice crossbow instead when the state allowed it to be used during bow season. Other than that I muzzleload and rifle hunt for deer.

I believe Jawz does, or did.

I've always wanted to pick this hobby back up. If the prime time to hunt deer was 2pm, I'm sure I would have by now. haha.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    I believe Jawz does, or did.

I've always wanted to pick this hobby back up. If the prime time to hunt deer was 2pm, I'm sure I would have by now. haha.
    I don't think he does since his past injuries won't allow him too..but I could be wrong.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Used to in my teens 'n 20's....a buddy of mine and I spent a lot of time with them. Bear WhiteTail compound bow and a wood stock Barnett crossbow, as well as a few misc rebends.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

It's been about 8 years since I shot on a regular basis. I have a great range to practice at right around the corner at the local park. 100% of my shooting was competitive 3D. I shot what is called "Bowhunter Limited". It basically means, compound, sights but no release mechanism i.e. finger release.

I have a PSE XLR900 in anodized blue set at about 52#.

Quote Originally Posted by Easto View Post
    It's been about 8 years since I shot on a regular basis. I have a great range to practice at right around the corner at the local park. 100% of my shooting was competitive 3D. I shot what is called "Bowhunter Limited". It basically means, compound, sights but no release mechanism i.e. finger release.

I have a PSE XLR900 in anodized blue set at about 52#.
    3D is going from target to target, life size? Will have to try it sometime.

Can you post any pictures of your PSE XLR900? I can't find any

Just knocked mine down from 65# to about 50#, and will work back up a bit once I get used to it again (haven't shot in a couple years).

I shot what is called "Bowhunter Limited". It basically means, compound, sights but no release mechanism i.e. finger release..
    Am I weird for shooting without sights? One of the first things I did with my bow was take the sights off and get used to shooting without them. I later learned it's called "instinctive shooting"

3D Archery is a blast. I'm sure where you live there are plenty of shoots in some real nice areas. I like 3D, you only get 1 shot per target at an umarked distance. That's where you really have to be able to judge distance. Depending on the target, a 5 yard mistake in judging distance can mean quite alot as far a accuracy. Google 3d Archery and you'll see a bunch of pics from different shoots.

http://olympic.craigslist.org/spo/1462196305.html

That's about the only pic I could find on the net. I'll keep looking. If I don't find anything I'll click a picture or 2 and send them to you.

There's nothing wrong with "instinctive shooting". Although I don't remember seeing anyone do it with a compound bow.

3D Archery is a blast. I'm sure where you live there are plenty of shoots in some real nice areas. I like 3D, you only get 1 shot per target at an umarked distance. That's where you really have to be able to judge distance. Depending on the target, a 5 yard mistake in judging distance can mean quite alot as far a accuracy. Google 3d Archery and you'll see a bunch of pics from different shoots.

http://olympic.craigslist.org/spo/1462196305.html

That's about the only pic I could find on the net. I'll keep looking. If I don't find anything I'll click a picture or 2 and send them to you.

There's nothing wrong with "instinctive shooting". Although I don't remember seeing anyone do it with a compound bow.
    Thanks for the link, just wanted to see what it was shaped like

Tempted to put my sights back and practice with them, but I just target shoot, won't be hunting at all.

Got this one today with rifle 10 pointer around 8am, I've let a few spikes go. Here lately I've been trying to pass up the smaller bucks but if I'm down on meat by season end I'll take down whatever to stock the freezer.

I believe Jawz got a nice 6 today too..maybe he will post it.

Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    Am I weird for shooting without sights? One of the first things I did with my bow was take the sights off and get used to shooting without them. I later learned it's called "instinctive shooting"
    I wouldn't say so. I can't shoot worth a damn if I try to use sights - I have to take 'em off. I just learned to shoot that way and now it's harder to do it the "normal" way with sights than without them.

It just depends on what you've trained at. There is a guy at the park that shoots with a longbow from about 70 yards and probably shoots better than I do at that range (I have a sight, he doesn't... D'oh!)

Here is the buck I arrowed this morning...

...formerly the omnipotent UOD

I have a book on archery I'll let you borrow it if you give me back some of those other books

Quote Originally Posted by De Plano View Post
    I have a book on archery I'll let you borrow it if you give me back some of those other books

Only a couple of books

You can keep the archery one, we both know you need the help more.