Thread: Need Advice Please

SG Enthusiast

Unhappy Need Advice Please

I have to find a new home for our Golden Dora. I just had surgery on my kidney to remove 4 large stones and with other health issues I am finding that I can't care for her properly anymore.
    I placed an ad in kijiji...looking for a home for her..I'm giving her away, not asking for anything for her. As you imagine I got tons of replies. A couple of single moms looking for pet for their kids..one had a deaf boy, a couple of other families.
    I got one from a vet where I take her..they have a 200 acre farm with a 1 acre invisible fenced yard..cats and horses. Dora is not spayed and she wants to do it if she takes her, I don't mind that at all.
    What would you do..the vet seems the way to go, but the woman with the deaf boy has messaged me a few times. There is another family that wants to come on friday..please help.
    I want what is best for Dora.

Quote Originally Posted by Teirney View Post
    I have to find a new home for our Golden Dora. I just had surgery on my kidney to remove 4 large stones and with other health issues I am finding that I can't care for her properly anymore.
    I placed an ad in kijiji...looking for a home for her..I'm giving her away, not asking for anything for her. As you imagine I got tons of replies. A couple of single moms looking for pet for their kids..one had a deaf boy, a couple of other families.
    I got one from a vet where I take her..they have a 200 acre farm with a 1 acre invisible fenced yard..cats and horses. Dora is not spayed and she wants to do it if she takes her, I don't mind that at all.
    What would you do..the vet seems the way to go, but the woman with the deaf boy has messaged me a few times. There is another family that wants to come on friday..please help.
    I want what is best for Dora.
    First off I'm sorry to hear about your surgery and wish you a complete and rapid recovery.

As for Dora, I don't think you can make a wrong decision. Put down a few questions on paper that you ask everyone and go from there. Just take your time, trust your instincts and judgements of people, and if possible interview those you are considering. Narrow it down that way and when you have it down to a couple choices look at each potential home first.

Have they owned a dog before? Do they know enough about dogs to know how to feed it well? Can they afford medical care, whether routine or emergency? Who is going to be the primary caregiver and where will Dora be during the day? Will she sleep inside or outside?

Paring Dora with a deaf child might be a beautiful relationship or it might be a horrible home for a dog. Living in the country with a vet could be awesome but what if the people work 10 hours plus commute?

Best of luck, my first dog was a golden and she was the best dog in the world. I'd offer to take her if I didn't have my own pack already

SG Enthusiast
    She is the most awesome dog..it is so hard to part with her. I am going to miss her so much. Chris was a little upset when I told him I was giving her away. I just couldn't ask for money for her like I wanted to profit off her.
    I have had so many responses..everyone wants a registered Golden for free. The vet warned me about people wanting her to breed for profit because she is not spayed..believe me that is one of biggest fears. The vet is going to spay her if she takes her...I was going to have it done this year anyway.
    Let you know which way I go.

I'd also have a them sign a bit of a contract stating you have the right to come check on the welfare of Dora and the option to take her back if you feel she's not being treated correctly.

the vet sounds like a good idea.

is there a Golden Retriever rescue assoc. in you area?
    if so, they would be a good place to turn her over to, and they could find a nice home for Dora

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Tough call, I'd lean towards the vet. The question of the vets "availability" did enter my mind, like Humby stated...will the vet be home enough. Perhaps there's more family at home. Or perhaps the vet doesn't work crazy hours..many vet offices have several vets that rotate hours. But the vet would see the safest bet as to having a warm and fuzzy feeling about the dog being cared for the best. You have personal experience with the vet, and the vet most likely loves animals..else they wouldn't be a vet.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!