Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: I hear AVG Free sucks these days

  1. #1
    Certified SG Addict CableDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    26,784

    I hear AVG Free sucks these days

    Maybe I should inform the helpdesk manager? He did an install of it on laptop where......drumroll.....sophos was installed.


    They recommend AVG Free, sophos and Mcafee. alot.


    The helpdesk is so comical.... No wonder they have a shitload of laptops piling up to be fixed.

    Glad they don't touch my PC's.

  2. #2
    Moderator Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    30,761
    Sorry did you say something? I'm busy looking at your av

  3. #3
    Certified SG Addict CableDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    26,784
    Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post
    Sorry did you say something? I'm busy looking at your av

  4. #4
    Certified SG Addict
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    29,514
    CNET declared the bloated homunculus known as AVG the "best" antivirus last week. In other news, alcoholism is rampant at CNET.

    I think they've interpreted "free" to mean "best" somehow neglecting MSE or Avira.

  5. #5
    Moderator Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    30,761
    Quote Originally Posted by CableDude View Post
    Your test in women is excellent my friend.

    As for AVG it's definitely got worse over the last few years. Used to be that it was one of the better free AV's, but now I thin Microsoft's Security Essentials is a good choice.

  6. #6
    Moderator YeOldeStonecat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Posts
    50,943
    Quote Originally Posted by CableDude View Post
    I hear AVG Free sucks these days
    And recent years too. Unfortunately it's very popular for a free AV, I clean a lot of systems that have it running, so much stuff makes it right past AVG. Bogs down systems too. 2x big reasons not to use it.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

  7. #7
    Assistant Admin Ken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Tampa
    Posts
    12,082
    Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post
    Your test in women is excellent my friend.

    As for AVG it's definitely got worse over the last few years. Used to be that it was one of the better free AV's, but now I thin Microsoft's Security Essentials is a good choice.
    Test? What kind of test does he do in women... Inquiring minds and such...

    as a side note, I am recommending MSE these days...

  8. #8
    so get rid of AVG and download Microsoft's Security Essentials ?

    AVG bogs systems down?
    does Microsoft's Security Essentials do any better?
    as in less of a system hog?

  9. #9
    Second Most EVIL YARDofSTUF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    70,001
    Quote Originally Posted by TNATireFryer View Post
    so get rid of AVG and download Microsoft's Security Essentials ?

    AVG bogs systems down?
    does Microsoft's Security Essentials do any better?
    as in less of a system hog?
    MS security essentials or Avira, ya. They do better.

  10. #10
    thanks - wow what a difference - i noticed right off getting rid of AVG
    [after reboot]
    my system was better - thanks for good find speedguide

  11. #11
    Certified SG Addict CableDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    26,784
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Test? What kind of test does he do in women... Inquiring minds and such...
    If you only knew.

  12. #12
    Certified SG Addict CableDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    26,784
    Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    And recent years too. Unfortunately it's very popular for a free AV, I clean a lot of systems that have it running, so much stuff makes it right past AVG. Bogs down systems too. 2x big reasons not to use it.
    Yeah I have stayed away from it for a while now. Been using MSE since the beta.

    I just everytime the helpdesk uses it.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Blisster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    9,668
    anti-virus applications are still relevant?


    Quote Originally Posted by Edward Abbey
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.

  14. #14
    Certified SG Addict CableDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    26,784
    Quote Originally Posted by Blisster View Post
    anti-virus applications are still relevant?
    lol.

  15. #15
    Certified SG Addict CableDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    26,784
    I cringe anymore when I see these guys using AVG to clean computers. I'm so tempted to tell them.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •