Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 48

Thread: Walmart

  1. #21
    Resident Atheist Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Orangevale ,Ca
    Posts
    18,682
    Quote Originally Posted by SlyOneDoofy View Post
    Well, that's more than I make at Sears. So I don't get your question. Am I supposed to define all jobs at Walmart?
    I was making a point that Walmart isn't out of the norm in pay.
    And do you think it would be better if they didn't have jobs?
    LOL no slyone,it's ok,

    it's just fine for you to post an opinion and NOT have to post links or charts or graphs or polls or studies to prove it,

    no matter how much someone sits on their throne and toots their horn demanding proof,

    it's ok to post an opinion or thought here,

    really !

  2. #22
    Advanced Member SlyOneDoofy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    559
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    LOL no slyone,it's ok,

    it's just fine for you to post an opinion and NOT have to post links or charts or graphs or polls or studies to prove it,

    no matter how much someone sits on their throne and toots their horn demanding proof,

    it's ok to post an opinion or thought here,

    really !
    I didn't see any wages below $8 an hour on your little post. Funny how Mine is $6.50.

    And if you want to call it an OPINION you might reference something else like a target site or sears. The guys in appliances at Sears are TOTALLY COMMISION.

    But I can't collect unemployment because I'm a business owner.

    Thanks and whatever
    Last edited by SlyOneDoofy; 11-09-09 at 07:30 PM.
    Nutty like squirrel terds!!!

  3. #23
    Resident Atheist Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Orangevale ,Ca
    Posts
    18,682
    Quote Originally Posted by SlyOneDoofy View Post
    I didn't see any wages below $8 an hour on your little post. Funny how Mine is $6.50.

    And if you want to call it an OPINION you might reference something else like a target site or sears. The guys in appliances at Sears are TOTALLY COMMISION.

    But I can't collect unemployment because I'm a business owner.

    Thanks and whatever
    I think you misunderstood my post,
    maybe I put my thoughts down in a confusing manner.
    I guess it looks odd now that I look at it,
    LOL

    I actually meant what I said,
    try and read it more literally and you will see what I was saying.

    I was saying it's ok for you to post your thoughts and opinions here without HAVING to back it up with proof!

    re-read my post,slowly and all of it.

    or you replied to the wrong member/post !?!?!

    LOL

    oh well,never mind,
    Last edited by Dan; 11-09-09 at 08:14 PM.

  4. #24
    Moderator YeOldeStonecat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Posts
    50,947
    Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    Ya, commission jobs suck.
    Why? You're in control of a good portion of your paycheck. Need a raise? Easy..work harder, sell more, earn more.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

  5. #25
    Maneater JawZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Posts
    21,941
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    LOL no slyone,it's ok,

    it's just fine for you to post an opinion and NOT have to post links or charts or graphs or polls or studies to prove it,

    no matter how much someone sits on their throne and toots their horn demanding proof,

    it's ok to post an opinion or thought here,

    really !

    Fortunately, you have zero say in how discussion is conducted here in the forums. People are free to post opinions as well as be asked how they came to those same opinions.

    What are you so afraid of Dan...that you might have to one day explain yourself and have to admit you are wrong? What exactly is the problem with having discussion on a forum?


    Tell ya what, how bout you worry about Dan while we have a civil discussion without your input because as far as I can see, your input in this thread so far has accomplished nothing but taking up space within the thread. How do your comments relate to Walmart? They don't. So if you want to make snide remarks, do it via PM's.

    ...formerly the omnipotent UOD

  6. #26
    Maneater JawZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Posts
    21,941
    Quote Originally Posted by SlyOneDoofy View Post
    I didn't see any wages below $8 an hour on your little post. Funny how Mine is $6.50.

    And if you want to call it an OPINION you might reference something else like a target site or sears. The guys in appliances at Sears are TOTALLY COMMISION.

    But I can't collect unemployment because I'm a business owner.

    Thanks and whatever

    Don't pay any attention to Dan. He has been banned before for acting out of line on our forums and he has some sort of gripe with certain members, me included.

    In any case, I was asking you a direct question in hopes that you would see the need to validate your opinion with some research. The last thing you want to do here, or anywhere for that matter, is misrepresent yourself and lose credibility.


    A couple of areas you may want to look at are the commissions and profit sharing. I also think that most gripes from Walmart associates is the disparity in pay between hourly and salaried personnel. That, and their inability to unionize.

    As a small business owner, has Walmart hurt any of your business? Do you know of any other small business owners that went out of business because of a local Walmart? Just curious as I have no idea what your business is.

    As an aside, did you know that Walmart just got into the funeral casket business?

    ...formerly the omnipotent UOD

  7. #27
    Maneater JawZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Posts
    21,941
    Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Why? You're in control of a good portion of your paycheck. Need a raise? Easy..work harder, sell more, earn more.




    Median commissions for Sears salespersons are anywhere from 6-10k.

    ...formerly the omnipotent UOD

  8. #28
    Freedom Fighter jeremyboycool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    5,002
    I would only work a commission job as a last resort; I find them too stressful (although, many would not do my job for the same reason).
    Last edited by jeremyboycool; 11-09-09 at 09:21 PM.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

  9. #29
    Cybernetic Interloper ub3r_n00b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Rivendel, East of The Ford of Bruinen
    Posts
    2,086
    Quote Originally Posted by Leatherneck View Post
    Everyone loves to hate the "Big Guys". Microsoft, Walmart, etc...

    What I dislike is the fact that I can pick up 25 items at Walmart and 100% is made in China or another Pac rim country. Doesn't seem like too long a go they had signs like "Made in the USA" all over the place. Those days are loooong gone.

    Why can't the USA bring inflation down, start manufacturing again and pay fair wages? Does a GM worker on the assembly line need to make $35 an hour? Can we keep our money in this country, control inflation and pay that worker $25 an hour? Maybe I'm too simple-minded, but if the Government and big business practiced 1/100th of what a Daddy teaches a little kid about economics then it seems like it would work. Does flat out greed keep this from being a possibility?
    Won't be long at all before it is the Have and Have nots in a terrible way.

    Well there are a lot of reasons why the North America (I am from Canada and the same applies there) but the main reason is money - Large corporations simply make more money by producing (well, they do not have any employees in these EPZ zones but they just contract the production to some company) their materials in foreign countries. These countries do not tax the companies, and the workers work for dirt cheap, producing products that are good enough.

    Let me phrase it this way, how many people do you know of that would work for penny an hour, for 14 hours a day doing mindless work? (the trick is that they only teach someone how to do a single part of a large object, like one person will only sew a zipper for the entire contract, that way they never know how to do the other stuff, and thus they cannot reproduce the product on their own)

    I know of no one that would do this in North America, so, they go oversees where there are millions of people who HAVE to do this to survive.

    Its all about greed and not willing to sacrifice. One person cannot sacrifice, everyone has to in order for things to get back to the way they were. People need to pay more for products, more people need to be interested in production, the people in production need to be willing to work for cheap, the companies need to be willing to take a hit, and the products that they produce actually have to be better than the products made oversees.
    www.erudianart.com

  10. #30
    Advanced Member SlyOneDoofy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    559
    [QUOTE=JawZ;2330612]As a small business owner, has Walmart hurt any of your business? Do you know of any other small business owners that went out of business because of a local Walmart? Just curious as I have no idea what your business is. QUOTE]

    I am a Civil Planner and my business partner is a Civil Engineer. There is no/very little work for us right now so that's why I got the part-time job.

    Our main income is subdivision design and commercial site plans.

    Walmart has no impact upon my business unless they hire us to perform a site plan for their developments which would be a positive thing for us.
    Nutty like squirrel terds!!!

  11. #31
    Maneater JawZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Posts
    21,941
    [QUOTE=SlyOneDoofy;2330669]
    Quote Originally Posted by JawZ View Post
    As a small business owner, has Walmart hurt any of your business? Do you know of any other small business owners that went out of business because of a local Walmart? Just curious as I have no idea what your business is. QUOTE]

    I am a Civil Planner and my business partner is a Civil Engineer. There is no/very little work for us right now so that's why I got the part-time job.

    Our main income is subdivision design and commercial site plans.

    Walmart has no impact upon my business unless they hire us to perform a site plan for their developments which would be a positive thing for us.

    awesome job. let me give you a lead, hopefully you can find some work here in your field.

    https://www.fbo.gov/

    ...formerly the omnipotent UOD

  12. #32
    Advanced Member SlyOneDoofy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    559
    Quote Originally Posted by JawZ View Post



    Median commissions for Sears salespersons are anywhere from 6-10k.
    Per month or per year? and is that number from this year or 3 years ago when people had money?

    I'd have to sell $200 worth of items in my area just to hit minimum wage per hour.

    Don't get me wrong....I'm actually not whining about my pay. The point of this discusion was to relate that Walmart isn't out of the norm.

    I'm glad to have any job right now.
    Nutty like squirrel terds!!!

  13. #33
    Advanced Member SlyOneDoofy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    559
    [QUOTE=JawZ;2330672]
    Quote Originally Posted by SlyOneDoofy View Post


    awesome job. let me give you a lead, hopefully you can find some work here in your field.

    https://www.fbo.gov/
    Thanks for the link.

    I've looked into government jobs and they present a problem for small companies to get them. They require a profession liability insurance (which is based on the value of the projects) and it's over $10,000 per year. Our biggest problem is that we would have to get the insurance before we could even bid the project.
    Last edited by SlyOneDoofy; 11-10-09 at 09:18 AM.
    Nutty like squirrel terds!!!

  14. #34
    Maneater JawZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Posts
    21,941
    Quote Originally Posted by SlyOneDoofy View Post
    Per month or per year? and is that number from this year or 3 years ago when people had money?

    I'd have to sell $200 worth of items in my area just to hit minimum wage per hour.

    Don't get me wrong....I'm actually not whining about my pay. The point of this discusion was to relate that Walmart isn't out of the norm.

    I'm glad to have any job right now.

    I believe the numbers are per year and yes they are up to date to the minute as people are free to report in their wages. It looks like, from my own limited research, that Target pays the best, especially for salaried folks. Target also has a wider range of products that are also of higher quality.

    Pay may not be out of the norm for Walmart but I don't think that is the beef with the company. Most people I hear complaining about the company relate to it's policies, not it's pay.

    ...formerly the omnipotent UOD

  15. #35
    Moderator YeOldeStonecat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Posts
    50,947
    Quote Originally Posted by JawZ View Post
    Do you know of any other small business owners that went out of business because of a local Walmart? Just curious as I have no idea what your business is.
    Walmart hasn't hurt my field, but I've seen other local small businesses (stores) close up. Not only related to Walmart...but most of the big chains. I live in an area which used to have locally owned pharmacies, hardware stores, electronics stores, grocery stores, lumber yards, etc.

    After the invasion of the Walmarts, the CVSs, the WalGreens, the Lowes, the Home Depots, ...poof...one by one..local places close the doors.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

  16. #36
    Maneater JawZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Posts
    21,941
    Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Walmart hasn't hurt my field, but I've seen other local small businesses (stores) close up. Not only related to Walmart...but most of the big chains. I live in an area which used to have locally owned pharmacies, hardware stores, electronics stores, grocery stores, lumber yards, etc.

    After the invasion of the Walmarts, the CVSs, the WalGreens, the Lowes, the Home Depots, ...poof...one by one..local places close the doors.


    and it's sad because I'm a firm supporter of personalized customer service...which is dreadful in the big chains. Look at Mom & Pop hunting and fishing stores for example. It's always nice to go in and get what you need and get some "advice" on what's trending, etc.

    ...formerly the omnipotent UOD

  17. #37
    Advanced Member SlyOneDoofy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    559
    Quote Originally Posted by JawZ View Post
    and it's sad because I'm a firm supporter of personalized customer service...which is dreadful in the big chains. Look at Mom & Pop hunting and fishing stores for example. It's always nice to go in and get what you need and get some "advice" on what's trending, etc.
    I totally agree.
    Nutty like squirrel terds!!!

  18. #38
    Imperial Impotentate brembo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    crawlspaces
    Posts
    18,725
    I've personally seen three instances wherein a local WalMart moved from an established "shopping center" to a new super-Walmart custom site and within 3-6 months all the stores that were at the original center had gone out of business. Anywhere from 5-10 stores that saw the foot traffic that Wally pulled in to the center could not sustain once the WalMart moved. It's depressing to see.
    Tao_Jones Cult Member since 2004
    I gave Miss Manners a Dirty Sanchez, and she LIKED it.

  19. #39
    Maneater JawZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Posts
    21,941
    Quote Originally Posted by SlyOneDoofy View Post
    I totally agree.

    What's sad is that the different departments within each chain store are the mom & pop shops that got absorbed or run off. IMO, it was mostly replaced with lesser quality products and much worse customer service. Walmart in particular wanted to capture the low income market at first. The issue with that is low income people are mostly less educated than the people selling them the products which are cheap pieces of crap. So the low income buyer purchases a cheap piece of crap because it's so low priced but in a year, that cheap product is in the trash and the low income buyer is back at Walmart buying another cheap piece of crap because it's still all he/she can afford. It's a cycle of perishable products. Now that is not Walmart's fault...they just capitalized on that particular sector. The Mom & Pop shops couldn't realize fast enough, or didn't have the advertising power to counter any of this with their strength of personalized customer service.


    Even local governments who approve the zoning and planning of such chains are lured in by the tax offset provided by the chains. Each chain is a ratable which offsets the local purpose taxes that are levied by the local government which is really attractive.

    ...formerly the omnipotent UOD

  20. #40
    Advanced Member SlyOneDoofy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    559
    Quote Originally Posted by JawZ View Post
    What's sad is that the different departments within each chain store are the mom & pop shops that got absorbed or run off. IMO, it was mostly replaced with lesser quality products and much worse customer service. Walmart in particular wanted to capture the low income market at first. The issue with that is low income people are mostly less educated than the people selling them the products which are cheap pieces of crap. So the low income buyer purchases a cheap piece of crap because it's so low priced but in a year, that cheap product is in the trash and the low income buyer is back at Walmart buying another cheap piece of crap because it's still all he/she can afford. It's a cycle of perishable products. Now that is not Walmart's fault...they just capitalized on that particular sector. The Mom & Pop shops couldn't realize fast enough, or didn't have the advertising power to counter any of this with their strength of personalized customer service.


    Even local governments who approve the zoning and planning of such chains are lured in by the tax offset provided by the chains. Each chain is a ratable which offsets the local purpose taxes that are levied by the local government which is really attractive.
    When a site plan of that size is completed the transportation impacts are huge. Usually it requires off-site improvements which benefits the city/county.
    Nutty like squirrel terds!!!

Similar Threads

  1. Is Facebook the new Walmart?
    By Debbie in forum General Discussion Board
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-07-09, 08:55 PM
  2. Walmart is just plain pathetic
    By Leatherneck in forum General Discussion Board
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 03-03-08, 06:50 AM
  3. Walmart Gives Up: No Stores For New York City
    By knightmare in forum General Discussion Board
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-30-07, 12:42 AM
  4. 7 people bitten by snake at walmart
    By Zilog B in forum General Discussion Board
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-22-07, 07:38 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •