Thread: Wireless card + ADSL router

Wireless card + ADSL router

Hello, I need some help.
    I have two computers (WinXP), a desktop and a laptop, both connected to an ADSL router. But my ADSL connection is currently down, so as an intermediate solution I turned to using a wireless card in my laptop to connect to a nearby ISP's AP. I wanted to also be able to use this connection on the desktop so I set up Internet Connection Sharing. For a time it worked, but now I can't access the Internet from the desktop anymore. And to make matters worse now I can't even use LAN/file sharing between the computers (it gives me the "...is not accesable. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The network path was not found." error). Network Places and Workgroup folders also load very slowly on both computers and they don't even show the other computer.
    I suspect all this has to do with some kind of IP address mixup (there was a brief "IP address conflict" or something like that pop-up yesterday). I tried using system restore on the laptop but it didn't help.
    How would I go about fixing this? And then how would I properly set it up so as to be able to use both the wireless connection and file sharing on both computers at the same time? And still be able to go back to my previous configuration once my ADSL is back up again?
    Thanks in advance!

The best and easiest way would be to ask your neighbour for permission to use his connection. He could give you the settings. Otherwise, you may have to wait for your ADSL connection to be back up.