Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mice

Mice

We have a bad mouse problem - have ever since we had to put Wonton to sleep. I got some glue traps for spiders, and sort of half-heartedly put them out in the mice areas too - and they caught two mice. Watching them struggle, I felt awful. I couldn't get them off the glue trap to set them free (outside in the local park), so I googled how to deal with them humanely. I found lots of stuff about how cruel glue traps are. I disposed of the mice the most humane way I could think of, but still feel bad. On the other hand, we have a really bad mouse problem. If it were one or two I wouldn't care. It's bad.

I've ordered two humane traps from the net but they wont be here for a week.

Should I stop putting the glue traps down? The other part of me is like dammit, I know they're living creatures but they're ruining my apartment, and I have a right to live in a clean, healthy place and defend my home.

I don't know. Any thoughts at all are appreciated.
    There is security in fearlessness.

IMO nothing beats a good cat. Can't really say the cat way is humane though. lol

I know - I was really surprised how much of a difference Wonton made. Once he was gone a couple months we started actually noticing mice. Sorta my fault I guess that it got bad - I turned my head cos they're cute and I didn't want to hurt them. Now we have a mouse problem.

I rescued mice from Wonton sometimes, but I didnt feel bad if he killed them when I wasnt around. Cats are meant to catch mice

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Don't use poison, they'll run off to somewhere like above a ceiling or in a wall..die..and then stink up the place.

You live in an older city right? Old buildings? Probably old heating..pipes going through walls? If so, seal up holes with steel wool.

Access to basement or attic?

The humane traps, unless you're hauling them way out in the boonies....if you're releasing them in a sorta dense city area like a park they'll just zoom over to the next closest building and get in there, to someone elses displeasure.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Look up "Hanta Virus" and you'll go back to glue traps with a smile on yer face.
    Tao_Jones Cult Member since 2004
    I gave Miss Manners a Dirty Sanchez, and she LIKED it.

Quote Originally Posted by 9mmprincess View Post
    I know - I was really surprised how much of a difference Wonton made. Once he was gone a couple months we started actually noticing mice. Sorta my fault I guess that it got bad - I turned my head cos they're cute and I didn't want to hurt them. Now we have a mouse problem.
    Time to get another cat.

After having 2 here we still don't have mice anymore, but I think thats in part cuz the neighborhood cats hunt in our yard daily.

We have a bad mouse problem - have ever since we had to put Wonton to sleep. I got some glue traps for spiders, and sort of half-heartedly put them out in the mice areas too - and they caught two mice. Watching them struggle, I felt awful. I couldn't get them off the glue trap to set them free (outside in the local park), so I googled how to deal with them humanely. I found lots of stuff about how cruel glue traps are. I disposed of the mice the most humane way I could think of, but still feel bad. On the other hand, we have a really bad mouse problem. If it were one or two I wouldn't care. It's bad.

I've ordered two humane traps from the net but they wont be here for a week.

Should I stop putting the glue traps down? The other part of me is like dammit, I know they're living creatures but they're ruining my apartment, and I have a right to live in a clean, healthy place and defend my home.

I don't know. Any thoughts at all are appreciated.

people say NOT to use poison,but
    I have used this stuff for years,they eat it,go back to their home and die ,very effective and easy to use.
    I never see or smell the dead ones.
    I am a very compassionate person when it comes to animals in our world,but I have no problems killing mice/rats this way.
    http://www.d-conproducts.com/baits/bait-bit-trays.html

is your place a rental ? if so,have you talked to the manager/landlord ?
    Last edited by Dan; 11-05-09 at 09:19 AM.

Rat Zapper FTW, just have to keep the batteries fresh.
    "I was once banned from a bookstore for moving all the bibles to fiction"

Quote Originally Posted by Unholy View Post
    Rat Zapper FTW, just have to keep the batteries fresh.
    Seconded.

Easy, clean, and more humane than glue IMO.

Or spring traps, which are hit and miss. Either kills them quickly or just cripples them.

I don't use poison either.. I've setup a little grid before using a 110 hookup... instant jolt to them and they die on the spot...quick and less painful I would imagin than anything else.

I agree with Stonecat about the steel wool around pipes, in holes, etc.

Another thing you can try is moth crystals (crystals work better than moth balls)
    We used to have a problem with field mice coming in whenever they cut the field behind our house. I would sprinkle moth crystals in the crawl space under the house and the mice wouldn't come anywhere near - they hate the smell apparently.
    The crystals also help keep snakes away.

I don't know exactly where you could put them in your apartment - maybe around the perimeter, or where they are coming in when you find it, but the moth crystals will work.

Your house will smell like them for a few days, but imho the trade off is worth it.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

what happened to Wonton?
    Every normal man must be tempted at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
    I often wonder if the voices in my head ever get frustrated because I'm just too damn lazy to climb that clock tower.
    Click image to enlarge
    click image to view full version

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I've decided to keep putting glue traps down until the humane traps get here - only because the mouse problem is bad and I just want them gone. I check them often and dispose of the mice as humanely as I can when I find them.

Bastid - he got really sick, and we tried a bunch of things but nothing was really working, and he was suffering, so we had to have him put to sleep.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I've decided to keep putting glue traps down until the humane traps get here - only because the mouse problem is bad and I just want them gone. I check them often and dispose of the mice as humanely as I can when I find them.
    Did you look at rat zappers? Unholy and I have both used them and they are awesome

www.ratzapper.com

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    Did you look at rat zappers? Unholy and I have both used them and they are awesome

www.ratzapper.com
    Never saw them...looks like an excellent suggestion....fast (so sorta humane), no mess, easy disposal, no lingering stuff like poison.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Never saw them...looks like an excellent suggestion....fast (so sorta humane), no mess, easy disposal, no lingering stuff like poison.
    They're the best thing I've ever used.

The humane traps tend to either be forgotten about (starvation isn't humane), or the animal becomes so displaced when it's transported it starves after being released. Best case scenario, you're moving the problem from yourself to someone else.

The zappers are easy to use, no springs, no glue. It's open on one end, just drop in a few kibbles of dog food or cat food or a cracker with peanut butter and make sure it slides to the far end.

Two metal plates, one in the tunnel and one on the closed end. Critter walks towards the food, touches both at the same time, and gets zapped.

You know you caught something when there's a blinking red light. Carry it to a trashcan, tilt, body slides out, repeat.

You can even get fancy add-ons that'll page you when a trap is activated

Would highly recommend them to anyone with a mouse or rat problem.

Can't beat a good old-fashioned snap-trap. The gleu traps are nasty and make you deal with a dying critter.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Abbey
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.

Quote Originally Posted by Blisster View Post
    Can't beat a good old-fashioned snap-trap. The gleu traps are nasty and make you deal with a dying critter.
    ****ing french.
    Tao_Jones Cult Member since 2004
    I gave Miss Manners a Dirty Sanchez, and she LIKED it.

el-oh-el

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Abbey
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.

I still like my 110 hookup idea.. instant death by a slight jolt large enough to get a mouse.