Thread: if a laptop's battery is *totally* dead, system should still run on AC, yes?

if a laptop's battery is *totally* dead, system should still run on AC, yes?

seems like such a dumb question, but anyways...

working on a fossil of a laptop (Toshiba Tecra 8000, win98). showing symptoms of the battery unable to hold a charge. okfine, will break the news to them that theyll need to invest more than the laptop's worth to get it running, but that brings me to the question at hand..

even if a laptop's battery is unable to hold a charge, shouldn;t the power supply be capable of running the system with it plugged into the wall? if i let it charge over night the system will run for about 10 mins after bootup, then freezes. if i immediately reboot, no post. if i let it charge for say..... 30 minutes, itll bootup then freeze after maybe 2 inutes. charge it for an hour, maybe 5 mins runtime before freeze. so, obviously how long it can run hinges on how long its been charging, but apparently the battery wont hold a charge anymore. not surprising, given the age of the laptop.

ive reseated the battery about 40 times in an effort to clean the contacts, no changes. in my past experience, devices with dead batteries (cellphones, PDAs, etc) could usually still run off their power supply. this not the case with some laptops?
    "Today is a black day in the history of mankind."

- Leo Szilard

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Usually, yes. I imagine there are some make/model laptops where this is the exception.

But..in the usual scenario, yes if a battery is kaputz...can run on AC.

Here...I'll do it to my laptop right now!

//runs into kitchen and gets AC adapter, plugs in, yanks battery

Battery is next to me on the couch, and I'm still typing!!!

//plugs battery back in

Still typing!

Now on the motherboard, there are some electronics which deal with switching the power from AC to DC, 'n visa versa. And charging the battery from the AC. If that particular component on the mudderboard has failed....then you may see the problem you're experiencing...no battery, plug in AC..she still dead.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

I think so. Had an acer that wouldn't run off the battery for very long but worked fine when plugged in.

yosc in the house!

ah, thx for the replies, guys. that was more or less what i suspected. i just didnt know if it was common among laptops or not. given the age, the switching component must have failed, or maybe this lap-brick is among the exceptions (wont run off AC if batteries kaput).

thanks again

- Leo Szilard

Did you try running the laptop with the battery removed? The dead battery may have shorted cells and be drawing so much current that the adapter can't handle trying to charge it and power the laptop at the same time.
    I don't know the same things you don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Did you try running the laptop with the battery removed? The dead battery may have shorted cells and be drawing so much current that the adapter can't handle trying to charge it and power the laptop at the same time.
    ah, good point! ive only reseated it. will try that on monday. much appreciated

- Leo Szilard

I think a couple more rounds of quakelive should help you resolve this issue....get to fraggin'

Quote Originally Posted by loop2kil View Post
    I think a couple more rounds of quakelive should help you resolve this issue....get to fraggin'

lol not a bad idea.

been working on my own laptop getting XP/win7/Slackware to play nice together. earlier i noticed the player models were the skeleton instead of TankJr, thought something had gone wonky till i saw the servers are all named "haunted free for all" and such. kind cool

- Leo Szilard