Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bottled Water...

Bottled Water...

What are your thoughts on it?
    Do you buy it?
    Do you feel that it is safer than municipal water?
    If you buy, what type? ie, natural spring, drinking (aka filtered), mineral, recycled?

Letís delve deep into the depths of water, shall we...

Shove me in the shallow water before I get too deep...

I don't like plastic. I know people who stored their plastic bottles of water in their hot garages in the summertime and the water tasted like garbage. Got only knows what transferred in the liquid with the heat.

I tend to boil my water, let it cool down and filter it myself. I keep a large glass bottle in my refrigerator.

I don't even microwave in plastic. I use pyrex glass.

Just following my gut.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    We go through a lot of Fruit2O
    Keep bottles in the vehicles since we're both out on the road a lot.
    Our town is heavy on recycle when it comes to putting the garbage out each week, so I don't feel as bad about the plastic bottles..they always end up in the recycle bin.
    The water where I live now is city water..tastes like a swimming pool. Where I lived before I had my own well and filtration system, that water tasted good. But..with all the pollutants going into the ground, fertilizer, runoff from the road...who knows how much you can trust your own well water now.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

I try to not buy bottled water much, it's spendy and I've heard enough stories of wacked quality control to make me wary. I basically hike for a living (surveyor) and I need to hydrate, so I'm a big believer in CamelBak hydration systems, which I fill from my tap (well). Now if I'm thirsty as hell and someone offers ne a nice cool bottle of water, yeah I'll drink it.
    Tao_Jones Cult Member since 2004
    I gave Miss Manners a Dirty Sanchez, and she LIKED it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    What are your thoughts on it?
    Do you buy it?
    Do you feel that it is safer than municipal water?
    If you buy, what type? ie, natural spring, drinking (aka filtered), mineral, recycled?

Let’s delve deep into the depths of water, shall we...

Shove me in the shallow water before I get too deep...
    we buy a lot of it,I drink 3 or 4 bottles a day.and more in the summer,

I mostly buy them because taste better than tap water to me and they are easy to put in my little ice chest for taking to work everyday,

we just buy the basic 24 pack "filtered" grocery store brand ,or whatever is on sale that week.

I also save them and get the recycle money back,.05 $ here
    Last edited by Dan; 10-27-09 at 10:06 AM.

I drink out of mud puddles.
    People will forget what you said... and people will forget what you did... but people will never forget how you made them feel.

I have to buy water because my well brings up sulfer in the tap. We just keep gallon jugs, wash them out and then go to machines that have filtered water and buy it for 25 cents a gallon. There is a spring house 12 miles away where we could get it free, but that's $2.50 in gas down and back.
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces people into thinking they can't lose. -Bill Gates

Quote Originally Posted by brembo View Post
    I try to not buy bottled water much, it's spendy and I've heard enough stories of wacked quality control to make me wary. I basically hike for a living (surveyor) and I need to hydrate, so I'm a big believer in CamelBak hydration systems, which I fill from my tap (well). Now if I'm thirsty as hell and someone offers ne a nice cool bottle of water, yeah I'll drink it.

same same here.

...formerly the omnipotent UOD

The tap water in my city if pretty good. When we upgraded the house with new copper piping the taste got even better. I'll stick with tap water. Bottled water is like having to pay for TV to me, which I'm not going to do.

In a dry but moldy New Orleans, Louisiana
    I probably should drink bottled water but I donít, just water right out the kitchen faucet for me. Our city water taste great but is sourced from the Mississippi river. With that river draining practically everything from the Rocky mountains to the Appalachian mountains Iím sure it picks up some pollutants along the way.

I hear that most bottled water is just filtered city water anyway. Our city water is filtered, so whatís the difference? If you want to get real spring water around here you can get it from Kentwood Springs. They source their water from the Kentwood and Abita natural springs.
    Sliding down the banister of life ..........................

Bottled water comes from the same sources your town water comes from.... read the facts:

Where does Bottled water come from?

Bottled water comes from a variety of sources, including many of the same sources from which tap water originates. Sometimes the water you can buy in a bottle is simply tap water from a municipal water system that has been enhanced in some way. Other sources of bottled water include springs, wells, and surface waters.
    Is bottled water really safer than tap water?

Overall, there is no reason to believe that bottled water is any safer than tap water from a regulated public water supply or from a proper, tested private well. These drinking water sources are normally safe and high quality.

How safe is tap water?

The public water supply is regulated by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). All municipal water systems serving 25 or more people are tested regularly for up to 118 chemicals and bacteria specified by the Safe Drinking Water Act (SDWA). Individual states may require additional testing. Everyone who gets their tap water from a public system is therefore assured of regular testing and certain standards. And, when testing indicates a problem, corrective actions are instituted. These actions include notifying residents about the problem and informing them of any special precautions that may be necessary.
    http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/e...tledwater.html

The main reason I prefer bottled water is to avoid chlorine. Eventually, I'll get a filter for my sink but until then I don't mind spending 50 cents per, for bottled water. At any rate, it's much better then a soda pop ( I use to drink lots of soda pop but I use bottled water to help curve this).
    Last edited by jeremyboycool; 10-27-09 at 01:56 PM.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    Bottled water comes from the same sources your town water comes from.... read the facts:
    Negative. That's not true of "all" bottled water. A more accurate statement would probably be along the lines of "Most bottled water comes from the same sources as town/municipal..."

But there are some legit "springwater" sources that sell bottled water from a local natural spring.

Got one of them places a few streets down from me that pull it from a spring right on their land.

A semi-interesting site
    http://www.myspringwater.com/Default.aspx
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Negative. That's not true of "all" bottled water. A more accurate statement would probably be along the lines of "Most bottled water comes from the same sources as town/municipal..."

But there are some legit "springwater" sources that sell bottled water from a local natural spring.

Got one of them places a few streets down from me that pull it from a spring right on their land.

A semi-interesting site
    http://www.myspringwater.com/Default.aspx
    Bottle water comes from the same sources... spring water, well water, its all feed from the same ground you and I both walk on. City water around here comes from 4 different wells, many localities have lakes they feed from which is surface water and even surface water as I put in the quote is a source for bottled water.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyboycool View Post
    The main reason I prefer bottled water is to avoid chlorine. Eventually, I'll get a filter for my sink but until then I don't mind spending 50 cents per, for bottled water. At any rate, it's much better then a soda pop ( I use to drink lots of soda pop but I use bottled water to help curve this).
    aww so instead of a little bit of Chlorine you would rather use Ozone?

hmm...

Bottlers do not use chlorine as a final disinfecting agent in bottled water. Bottlers use ozone (O3), a form of oxygen, or ultraviolet light. Unlike chlorine, which is commonly used in public water supplies, these methods disinfect water without leaving any after taste or smell.
    There is a great deal of evidence to show that high concentrations of ozone, created by high concentrations of pollution and daylight UV rays at the Earth's surface, can harm lung function and irritate the respiratory system.

Long-term exposure to ozone has been shown to increase risk of death from respiratory illness. A study of 450,000 people living in United States cities showed a significant correlation between ozone levels and respiratory illness over the 18-year follow-up period. The study revealed that people living in cities with high ozone levels such as Houston or Los Angeles had an over 30% increased risk of dying from lung disease.[
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozone

Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    Bottle water comes from the same sources... spring water, well water, its all feed from the same ground you and I both walk on. City water around here comes from 4 different wells, many localities have lakes they feed from which is surface water and even surface water as I put in the quote is a source for bottled water.
    A lot of people classify town/city/municipal water as a totally different category. While yes technically it's all starting with (theoretically) H2O...there's a substantial difference in good spring water or even good well water, and water piped into your house through 150 miles of rusty underground pipes that come from a big chemical plant that processes lake/reservoir water (with the accumulation of seagull crap/swan crap/bird/fish crap) into the smell and flavor of a YMCA public swimming pool.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    A lot of people classify town/city/municipal water as a totally different category. While yes technically it's all starting with (theoretically) H2O...there's a substantial difference in good spring water or even good well water, and water piped into your house through 150 miles of rusty underground pipes that come from a big chemical plant that processes lake/reservoir water (with the accumulation of seagull crap/swan crap/bird/fish crap) into the smell and flavor of a YMCA public swimming pool.
    no seagull crap here

SG Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDoctor View Post
    I drink out of mud puddles.

We have filters on our tap water at home and at the trailer...but sometimes we buy bottled water...which Chris gets with his lunch.

It's all recycled piss anyway. Even star throw aways

My .02. Working for a company that is #1 in the distribution of bottled water, and of water consumption in the United states I have learn a vast amount about the differences between tap water and other varieties.

For example, Dasani which is what most of the posts referring to as "the same as tap water" is true. Dasani is pump right from the city water supply as is ALL of the H2O that goes into making all of our carbonated soft drinks. The only difference is that we have a 20 million dollar machine that takes out all off the bad stuff, ie; fluorine, chlorine, and bacteria, by reverse osmosis. When then add a couple different minerals into the water for an enhanced purer taste.

Evian is in fact from France and is spring water. Were they get the water from in France has strict requirements on how many contaminates by parts per million can be in the water. This is probably the purest and best tasting water of all of the spring waters.

Danon, Aquarious, Spring, Publix, and certain other spring waters are all from our facility in High Springs Florida. This is not to far from were Zephyr Hills bottles there water.

Smart water is distilled water that is electrolyte infused water. This is probably the overall best water for you. It has almost no taste and goes through your mouth like air, but because of the electrolytes in it, it quenches your thirst faster then normal waters.

On to the reasons that bottled waters have expiration dates on them, or taste funny after being left in the sun for an extended amount of time, or have been stored for an extended amount of time. Most of the older style bottles that we use are what are called polyethylene terephthalate or PET. These bottles brake down at a slower pace then the newer "green" bottles that we use now. The bottles that we are using now are actually make from plants, and use little to no petroleum products. As the bottle brakes down over the years it is still not dangerous, but does tasted a little funky.
    Just my insight. And by the way, I drink lots of the Smart Water.
    Matt
    SLINGING COKE FOR A LIVING
    HAVE YOU SEEN MY BALL