Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HP Proliant DL360

HP Proliant DL360

Any one have any experience with this server. Was thinking about picking one up to setup Home Server. Will come with 2 x 3ghz xeons/3 gb ram/2 x 36gb scsi drives.

Here's a link to some info:

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/q...11504_div.HTML

What would be the goal or main usage for the server?

hopefully setup a server for files in the house as well as running something like Endian using VMware...I know its overkill for that but I can it at a very good price $150 or so.

My biggest concern is that I'm missing something in terms of features that's not obvious to be yet. It does only have 2 PCI-X slots for expansion, no ide or sata either, so I would be stuck with scsi unless I added a card. Is PCI-X backwards compatible with regular PCI and/or 64 bit pci ??

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Yeah a few dozen of 'em over the years.

What do you plan on running on it? You may have a hard time finding drivers for it for a home desktop OS.
    Depending on what generation model you get, you may find the noise a bit much for home.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Yeah a few dozen of 'em over the years.

What do you plan on running on it? You may have a hard time finding drivers for it for a home desktop OS.
    Depending on what generation model you get, you may find the noise a bit much for home.

Will more than likely be running MS Home Server, I think I've got a copy of 2k3 server also. It is by specs gen 3

Ahh VMWare, I started posting then went downstairs, so didn't see your VMWare post. ESXi would provide the hardware interface for Windows, do scratch the drivers thing.

The newer 64 bit version ESXi 4 has much better motherboard 'n hardware support for onboard devices, fans, etc....gotta see if the one you're looking at (gen 3) is 64 bit or not cuz earlier version won't do squat to hush those onboard fans.

However the system enhancement drivers 'n stuff for Windows Server will usually quiet them down during bootup.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

are we talking the old 60mm Delta screamer loud from the early Athlon days? or not quite that bad?

Quote Originally Posted by loop2kil View Post
    are we talking the old 60mm Delta screamer loud from the early Athlon days? or not quite that bad?
    During POST and early startup, yeah about 13x times as loud. Most of the earlier generation models would have a row of fans in the chassis that would shred at full blast during POST and as the OS loads up, "blow out the cobwebs" I guess. And then system drivers would take over as the OS boots up, and throttle the fans down as long as the temps are fine.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

A+, Security+, Mobility+ Shinobi's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    DL380G3's and some older DL140's I like proliant servers, pretty versatile.

Blog Entries
    iLO board (Integrated Lights-Out remote management) is nice to have also.

well, I bit...its on the way.

Blog Entries
    well, I bit...its on the way.
    Did You get it yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Shinobi View Post
    Did You get it yet?
    nope...cheapest shipping option, scheduled delivery of 10/30

Good grief this sucker is huge and heavy, but no time to play now, too many PC's to fix at the moment.

Blog Entries
    Good grief this sucker is huge and heavy, but no time to play now, too many PC's to fix at the moment.
    Yep they are.. be careful man.. don't drop your "o" ring or anything..
    Let us know when you have that puppy fired up.

I've got a farm of DL360 G5's and 6's. Rock solid servers, ILO is a dream. Not so great if you want to maximize disk capacity, as they have a 6 drive capacity. If you want more DAS capacity you might want to look at the DL380.

Might be a bit loud for a home server tho.

:edit: jsut saw the you got a G3, so only 2xHDD bays on-board, and the U320 SCSI drives can be pricey.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Abbey
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.

Quote Originally Posted by Blisster View Post
    I've got a farm of DL360 G5's and 6's. Rock solid servers, ILO is a dream. Not so great if you want to maximize disk capacity, as they have a 6 drive capacity. If you want more DAS capacity you might want to look at the DL380.

Might be a bit loud for a home server tho.

:edit: jsut saw the you got a G3, so only 2xHDD bays on-board, and the U320 SCSI drives can be pricey.

I finally got around to setting this sucker up. Luckily I have a closet with an air return and more importantly a DOOR so I can dampen the noise
    I have loaded Windows Home Server and I gotta say, other than the lack of x64 bit support, this is a great little OS for running a home server. The Drive spanning feature is freaking cool as crap. Although I am limited by the 2 drives internally, I plan on using USB drives to expand the server as needed.

Still need to learn about ESXi and iLO though....because WHS doens't like 64-bit anything I'm having to login to it from my x64 win7 machine via remote desktop, which seems to work just fine....other than the annoying certificate thingy each time.

Dunno if any of the HP agents can be installed on WHS which will quiet the fans down. Straight up installs of the OS, fans scream. Once you install some of the drivers and agents for the server, they settle right down.

There is an HP specific version of ESXi you can download (as well as special versions for IBM and Dell)
    Guinness for Strength!!!

actually I think the fans are not at full scream...I have heard them at full speed and if it stayed there I most definitely would not be using it. Once I put the cover back on I think it helped force the air where it needed to be and the temps were able to settle down so it's at normal speed(which without the closet would not be usable still).

It seems anything from the HP site that was specifically for Win2k3 server works fine for WHS so far. I downloaded the newest PSP and updated everything it advised me to.