Thread: Possible to create a Dual WAN connection with two routers?

Possible to create a Dual WAN connection with two routers?

I have two WRT610N's that I was wondering if it was possible to make a DUAL WAN connection out of them? I have a web server that could use a little boost in bandwidth so what I was thinking of doing...
    • Take my two cable modem connections and run each connection to each of the WRT610N's (1 connection each)
    • Disable DHCP on both routers
    • Set a static IP on my web server
    • Create a port forwarding rule on both routers that sends port 80 traffic to my web server
    • Setup two A-Records for my domain that points my domain to both of my WAN IP Address (round robin)

Now the part that I am getting stuck on is two things
    • Do I leave BOTH routers in Gateway mode or do I need one in router mode and the other in gateway mode?
    • What do I do about the gateway addresses? Obviously the routers can't have the same gateway address, not to mention that I can't set two gateway addresses in my web server IP Configuration.

So is this even possible? I already have a DUAL WAN router (RV042) that I have been using which works fine but for knowledge purposes I would like to know if this is possible using the two WRT610N's that I have laying around as well.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    You could get around the gateway issue by making each router a different LAN IP range.
    Router 1 at 192.168.0.1
    Router 2 at 192.168.1.1

No need to disable DHCP on them, you can still do static assigned IPs with DHCP running.

The problem is, not knowing what you're using for a web server..and quite honestly I don't deal with server servers much, but will you be using one that will be able to bind to 2x network interfaces. Thus be able to answer on both NICs, one NIC at say 192.168.0.11 and the 2nd NIC at something like 192.168.1.11.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Yeah that's exactly it, I think I will need to find something SOFTWARE that allows me to do this because that's what I was thinking myself, I was like OK even if I have two gateways how will the web server software know... I'm gonna have to look into this more. Thanks buddy!

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by XenonKilla View Post
    I was like OK even if I have two gateways how will the web server software know... I'm gonna have to look into this more. Thanks buddy!
    Yeah that's the key. In Windows, you can bind some services to different network cards...like server and workstation services, etc. Windows has the ability to do networking over the wired NIC, and the wireless NIC. But not all applications do that smoothly, especially when it comes to some server related services. I can rememeber back in the NT 4 server days, one big LAN party we were having, we built a server with dual NICs to load balance into a big Cisco catalyst switch...most of the game servers we ran on that server did fine with it, but one game was freaking out over the 2 NICs...we had to whip up some alternative just for it.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!