Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your opinions on these vids I shot, pls?

Your opinions on these vids I shot, pls?

(Taken with my Canon T1i)

I was going to tell you which was taken with which card, but then I thought that kind of defeats the purpose, and it's better not to say. One of these vids was shot on my 30mb/s 8 gig class 6 card that cost 80 bucks. The other was shot on a card I just bought at Best Buy that was only 18 dollars, that says it's especially for HD video, and even tho it's 4 gigs, says it'll give you 60 mins of video. It doesnt say the data transfer speed. I need to know if you see a difference in quality between these vids - does one look better, clearer, ect? Let me know

First one is a random st near my house, 2nd one is Haight st.

[ link ]

[ link ]
    There is security in fearlessness.

Second one looks cleaner IMO. Careful driving and shooting.

My passenger took the vids

Quote Originally Posted by 9mmprincess View Post
    My passenger took the vids
    Much better

Will look at them again sober, my sister is coming out for a visit from the east coast tonight I've and been cleaning/drinking.

No prob.. have fun with your sis

I just realized that in the first vid, as soon as I come to a stop at the first stop sign (at about 0:17), you can see the Golden Gate Bridge in the distance

(Taken with my Canon T1i)

I was going to tell you which was taken with which card, but then I thought that kind of defeats the purpose, and it's better not to say. One of these vids was shot on my 30mb/s 8 gig class 6 card that cost 80 bucks. The other was shot on a card I just bought at Best Buy that was only 18 dollars, that says it's especially for HD video, and even tho it's 4 gigs, says it'll give you 60 mins of video. It doesnt say the data transfer speed. I need to know if you see a difference in quality between these vids - does one look better, clearer, ect? Let me know

First one is a random st near my house, 2nd one is Haight st.
    can't tell which is what card,but it looks like about where I used to live,around Geary & 25th ?
    Last edited by Dan; 10-09-09 at 10:04 AM.

Blog Entries
    Doesn't the compression of the FLV format effect the comparison?

Hell_Yes

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity - Seneca

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche

i fail to see how the memory card would effect the quality of the video, even more so after compression as was noted above.

Interesting video. I wish everyone's youtube video were taken with one of those.

ditto, mine always look like chit when taken with my S2

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    can't tell which is what card,but it looks like about where I used to live,around Geary & 25th ?
    Actually it's around Pacheco and 23rd

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Doesn't the compression of the FLV format effect the comparison?
    Probably, but I still feel like I can see a difference, and was wondering if other ppl could, or it was just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
    Interesting video. I wish everyone's youtube video were taken with one of those.
    Thanks I'm sure I'll have more vids up soon - the bf and I are going to the zoo on Sunday

Well, you going to tell us which card was used on which video

I'm guessing the better card in the second clip.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    i fail to see how the memory card would effect the quality of the video, even more so after compression as was noted above.
    My guess would be the write speed from the buffer to the media and its effect on bit rate (compression). I am not certain how much the subtle difference is attributable to the aforementioned or available light.

Hell_Yes

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Haight st is with the good card I definitely feel like I can see a difference. I'm not happy with the card anyway, it's slow in a variety of situations. I'm going to spend the extra money and get something at least 30mb/s. To me, it's worth it.

Blog Entries
    If you do not mind me asking, what resolution were the video shot in? I do like this camera, but I was waiting for 1080p in 30 frames/sec (but not enough to spring for the high level Canon camera) How do the 1080p 20 frame videos look on a big screen?

Hell_Yes

Same quality in each, in the first vid there are lighter buildings the sun is hitting, in the second they are more shaded, and a bit closer, especially where you turn to the right and that section is hit by the sun.

The parts of car that are shot and the beginning of the first video against similar distanced parts in the 2nd video are very similar.

If you really want to test, mount the camera on a tripod and film the same boring thing for the same amount of time with both cards and compare them without any compression change, but the cards don't matter, unless one doesn't work.

Oh and what car was that? Sounded like the agonizing screams of a Geo Metro at parts.

But anyway, you're camera produces good quality.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    If you do not mind me asking, what resolution were the video shot in? I do like this camera, but I was waiting for 1080p in 30 frames/sec (but not enough to spring for the high level Canon camera) How do the 1080p 20 frame videos look on a big screen?
    Both were taken in 720. The 1080 is ok if you're just panning a scenic view slowly, but if you want to capture any kind of action at all, you need to use 720. That said, honestly I don't see much difference. I bet if I posted two vids of the same thing, one in 720 and one in 1080, most ppl couldn't even tell the difference... for me the 720 more than suffices. From what I've read, there will be no firmware update giving us (at least) 24 fps for the T1i. I guess 30 fps 1080 is something they're keeping for the higher end models. Kind of sucks, and I think it's sort of misleading for them to advertise that the camera is capable of "full 1080 high def", but oh well. Again I reiterate that the 720 looks gorgeous anyway and should suffice for most things.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    Same quality in each, in the first vid there are lighter buildings the sun is hitting, in the second they are more shaded, and a bit closer, especially where you turn to the right and that section is hit by the sun.

The parts of car that are shot and the beginning of the first video against similar distanced parts in the 2nd video are very similar.

If you really want to test, mount the camera on a tripod and film the same boring thing for the same amount of time with both cards and compare them without any compression change, but the cards don't matter, unless one doesn't work.
    Yeah, I know you're right...for the test to be proper I should have shot the exact same thing with each card. Maybe I'll do that once this storm we're having blows through - it's pouring rain with 50 mph gusts right now. I might drive down to the beach and take some pics.

Oh and what car was that? Sounded like the agonizing screams of a Geo Metro at parts.

But anyway, you're camera produces good quality.
    Them's fightin' words, you know. It's not a Geo Metro, it's my Honda Civic, and she said to tell you to get your ears cleaned out

Eh, Civic, not much better, but at least that has 4 cylinders.

well it's "much better" to me. I love my car. Thanks for being insulting, though.

well it's "much better" to me. I love my car. Thanks for being insulting, though.

I wouldn't be me if I wasn't.