Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XP service pack 4?

XP service pack 4?

Here is some thought to pass on... XP will live on for at least 2-3 more years and is supported till 2012 I think. Now will MS push out a SP4 cause the amount of updates after SP3 have really started to count up. Next week they will push out another 7 updates on top of what we already have including a Critical Update for Win7 before it even ships.

comments? thoughts?

i usually download, but sometimes make my own every once in a while

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,1838607,00.asp

Quote Originally Posted by morbidpete View Post
    i usually download, but sometimes make my own every once in a while

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,1838607,00.asp
    True but this isn't exactly what I'm talking about... more so a fully supported and packed Service Pack 4 with all the updates after Sp3.

well, given that i have a generic distrust of mammoth corporations in general, and a modicum of the same for MS in particular, it wouldnt surprise me if they hem'd and haw'd with hotfixes and patches till support ended.

that being said, i believe MS will come through. they may take their time, but imo sp4 will be XPs swan song. MSs efforts to make win7 accessible pricing-wise i think will help moving the market past XP and on to the windows 7 era.
    "Today is a black day in the history of mankind."

- Leo Szilard

No Win 7 for me, XP is still working just fine. Of course if they drop another update, after reviewing it, I probably grab it.

I don't think my computer could handle anything pass XP, at any rate.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyboycool View Post
    No Win 7 for me, XP is still working just fine. Of course if they drop another update, after reviewing it, I probably grab it.

i put windows 7 RC on a xp2400 with 512MB of ram and it ran just fine FYI

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post

comments? thoughts?
    It's no biggie. NT 4 had 8 service packs.

OK, technically it had 6.
    Service packs 1 through 6...but the original service pack 6 had major bugs, so they pulled it and quickly released 6.0a. (so that's the 7th service pack)

And then another year or so later, they released a big update which wasn't technically called a service pack..it was called "NT 4 Security Rollup Package" (which was unofficially named service pack 7).
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

You'd be surprised at how low of hardware it can run well on. At our office even, one of our general purpose rigs on the service bench that Daves World uses, it's an early P4 Dell Optiplex mini desktop, Pentium 4 HyperThread (not even dual core yet), 1 gig of RAM, onboard Intel video. Windows 7 is running faster than XP did on that rig, and he kept it in good shape...it was a good running XP rig.

I remember during the beta and RC months, in some tech forums people seeing what they could install Win7 on, quite a few people even breaking out old Pentium III/M laptops and Win7 ran great on them.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    You'd be surprised at how low of hardware it can run well on.
    I agree- so far I'm really impressed with it. By far, the fastest, easiest, most trouble-free install of any Windows OS I've ever had. All hardware recognized, even my old HP Lasjet 3200 MFP. Most all of the Vista quirks are gone, although I admit, I'm a dinosaur and miss Windows classic for a theme. Not a big thing though. Had a couple RDP hiccups to remote servers, but turning off checksum took care of that.

It really is pretty snappy, and doesn't seem to have the hangups and pauses I would see with Vista from time to time. Only software I had problems with (so far) was Acrobat 8.0 standard- wouldn't show up as a printer. But after running the update and rebooting it, that works fine now too. In Vista, sometimes it would have permission issues when creating pdf's on network drives, but only sporadically. So far though, none with 7.

Could it be they finally got one right????
    Observe everything...focus on nothing..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twwabw View Post
    I agree- so far I'm really impressed with it. By far, the fastest, easiest, most trouble-free install of any Windows OS I've ever had. All hardware recognized, even my old HP Lasjet 3200 MFP. Most all of the Vista quirks are gone, although I admit, I'm a dinosaur and miss Windows classic for a theme. Not a big thing though. Had a couple RDP hiccups to remote servers, but turning off checksum took care of that.

It really is pretty snappy, and doesn't seem to have the hangups and pauses I would see with Vista from time to time. Only software I had problems with (so far) was Acrobat 8.0 standard- wouldn't show up as a printer. But after running the update and rebooting it, that works fine now too. In Vista, sometimes it would have permission issues when creating pdf's on network drives, but only sporadically. So far though, none with 7.

Does this spell the end of the Apple/PC commericals?
    ------
    “The most beautiful thing we can experience in life is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: for his eyes are closed.” - Albert Einstein

I'm a dinosaur and miss Windows classic for a theme. Only software I had problems with (so far) was Acrobat 8.0 standard- wouldn't show up as a printer. But after running the update and rebooting it, that works fine now too.

I'm with you with the classic theme...purely from a standpoint of support, twas easy to walk clients over the phone to certain things, right click My Computer, or right click Network Places, or start ==> Run (notice you have to add the RUN feature now)

PDF issues....did you do Win 7 64? Vista 64 had quite a few PDF related things too, including exporting from accounting software.

Yeah they got it right, although IMO XP was pretty darned good too.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

PDF issues....did you do Win 7 64? Vista 64 had quite a few PDF related things too, including exporting from accounting software.
    Nah- too many hassles w/64bit. No bang for the buck for me. Just went through this whole 32 vs 64 at an Architectural client, running CAad and Revit on 32 vs 64. The differences in performance were minimal, but the hassles were great. Video drivers, the Cad apps themselves, you name it. And then of course, 64 bit printer drivers- ugh.

My Vista / pdf errors were on my accounting software too. Same version (8.x), and my Vista install was also only 32bit. For whatever reason though, it is no longer an issue with 7. Woohoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    Does this spell the end of the Apple/PC commericals?
    I hope not- those are some of the funniest commercials on TV.

My Vista / pdf errors were on my accounting software too. Same version (8.x), and my Vista install was also only 32bit. For whatever reason though, it is no longer an issue with 7. Woohoo!
    Yeah had some myself on my own workstation at the office, did Vista 64, and QB Pro 2007 had issues with the PDF function. Eh we're upgrading to QB 2010 shortly anyways, got some discount when adding the credit card module so we can accept them.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

I hope not- those are some of the funniest commercials on TV.
    Really annoying. Apparently a mac is not a personal computer???

What is it then???
    Joe

You'd be surprised at how low of hardware it can run well on. At our office even, one of our general purpose rigs on the service bench that Daves World uses, it's an early P4 Dell Optiplex mini desktop, Pentium 4 HyperThread (not even dual core yet), 1 gig of RAM, onboard Intel video. Windows 7 is running faster than XP did on that rig, and he kept it in good shape...it was a good running XP rig.

I remember during the beta and RC months, in some tech forums people seeing what they could install Win7 on, quite a few people even breaking out old Pentium III/M laptops and Win7 ran great on them.
    A Pentium 4 and a gig of ram is still better then my pc (Amd Sempron 2200 and 512 MB ram). I guess if I added more ram it would meet the min. requirements but then that is cost of a new OS and cost of ram.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

A Pentium 4 and a gig of ram is still better then my pc (Amd Sempron 2200 and 512 MB ram). I guess if I added more ram it would meet the min. requirements but then that is cost of a new OS and cost of ram.
    And probably a better value to get a cheap dell so itd be more ram, new hardware and the OS, till you need that though, I'd say stick with XP in your situation.

Nice, Long live XP and NT4 Server!

Windows ME for me...greatest of all time

I don't think they will release anymore service packs for XP. Microsoft want's everyone to update to Windows 7 and they are pushing it hard, it is much more advanced and better than XP. Also, X64 is pretty much the standard now and 99% of XP installations are X32 and limit you to about 3.5GB of RAM. People are doing more and need more RAM than that. I don't see MS doing anything that would help keep XP around any longer than it has to be.