Thread: Memory cards

Memory cards

Following up on 9mm's thread, looks like I'll be bringing my Costco memory cards back

Got a pair of these 4GB cards http://www.buy.com/prod/sandisk-4gb-...206812523.html for $35. Didn't seem too bad and they're class 4.

Looks like Buy.com has this 16 GB class 6 card for a couple bucks less, shipped free http://www.buy.com/prod/ocz-16gb-sdh...212236546.html

Thinking of buying one of those and bringing the Costco ones back.

Going to order it tonight.

Am I missing something, is there a reason I should stick with the cards I've got?

The one on buy.com looks interesting... my problem is that the card I have right now is 30 mb/s and going to 6 mb/s I worry about a performance drop. I dunno. I guess for only 33 bucks I should just buy it and see how it is? Worse comes to worse it could be my backup card or something...
    There is security in fearlessness.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 9mmprincess View Post
    The one on buy.com looks interesting... my problem is that the card I have right now is 30 mb/s and going to 6 mb/s I worry about a performance drop. I dunno. I guess for only 33 bucks I should just buy it and see how it is? Worse comes to worse it could be my backup card or something...
    If you're shooting video, I'd go with as high a transfer rate as I can afford. Still photography, unless you're shooting pictures rapid fire in a high action area, you can get by with the slower transfer rates. It's more a matter of looking at it in the context of buffer speed. The faster the card, the faster the camera can transfer the picture to the card and free up that buffer space to take another picture.
    ------
    “The most beautiful thing we can experience in life is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: for his eyes are closed.” - Albert Einstein

Yeah, that's the thing - I want the card for shooting video. I have an 8 gig card right now and that's fine for pictures. It's just that the high speed cards are a tad expensive, but I guess you get what you pay for - I dont want the video I shoot to be crappy because i got a cheap card.
    There is security in fearlessness.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    If you're shooting video, I'd go with as high a transfer rate as I can afford. Still photography, unless you're shooting pictures rapid fire in a high action area, you can get by with the slower transfer rates. It's more a matter of looking at it in the context of buffer speed. The faster the card, the faster the camera can transfer the picture to the card and free up that buffer space to take another picture.
    A slow buffer to card transfer rate can be rather noisome, even when shooting snaps.

Hell_Yes

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity - Seneca

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche