Thread: powered USB hub or mainboard?

powered USB hub or mainboard?

trying to it short and sweet....

new (self) powered hub. when i plug in its power while its conn'd to the mobo, the system wont shut down properly. goes into (by appearances) sleep or hibernate mode. booting back up behavior is odd.

if before i shut down the hub's power is unplugged, the system shuts down normally. if when the system if off, i plug the hubs power back in, the power system's power light comes on (no fans or beeps as if it was booting up), and the DVD light starts flashing as if the system were running POST, but doesnt stop.

what do yall think? hub the issue or the mainboard? seems the hub is dumping power back to the system instead of just on the expansion ports, but thats just a guess. ive tried changing root hub properties to "allow the system to shut this device down", but it makes no diff. as it stands im just using it as a bus-powered hub, but that kinda defeats the purpose of buying a self powered one, imo.
    "Today is a black day in the history of mankind."

- Leo Szilard

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    //scratches head...

BIOS flashed to the latest?

What's this mobo?

So when USB hub is running parasitic, all is well. But self powered, the PC seems to get a trickle of it and get confused.

Is there a toggle switch in the BIOS for USB legacy mode?
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

So when USB hub is running parasitic, all is well. But self powered, the PC seems to get a trickle of it and get confused.
    yep. wierd, eh?

i poked around the BIOS when i first noticed it (very first shutdown after setting it up). tried switching USB legacy support from auto to enabled with same result. im also fiddling with EHCI and ACPI 2.0 settings, but havent been able to make any difference as of yet. luckily, powered hubs can be had for a song so if i dont get anywhere ill just sh*tcan this one and replace it. personally ive never even heard of this happening, much less dealt with it myself.

- Leo Szilard

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    I'm assuming peripherals of this USB hub are demanding and desire a powered one? If light devices, can just run her parasitic?
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

well, its not necessarily that there is an active need for the supplimental power on a regular basis, its more than on rare occasion i will have 4 or 5 flash drives and/or passport-type drives i concurrently dupe files to (in addition to the normal glut of USB input stuff) and wanted to eliminate hassles before i ran into them.

the thing that is keeping me in troubleshoot mode is, it is possible for the system to completely shut down, but only when the BIOS is cycling the system after config changes ("save changes and reboot?". system totally powers off, then begins POST. for this board, that is normal). any other form of shutdown returns the bizzarre behavior. this leads me to believe youre pointing in the right direction as far as a BIOS setting.

- Leo Szilard

check the "enable suspended or whatever" lol try messing with these options in the device manager

Quote Originally Posted by morbidpete View Post
    check the "enable suspended or whatever" lol try messing with these options in the device manager

yep, checked those boxes as well. pretty much all i tried from within windows. in the BIOS ive set everyting related to USB legacy and power management-wise to enabled or auto, as well as various APM and ACPI settings (since on the surface it looks like it goes into sleep or hibernate mode).

dont think ive ever put this much effort into a $15 item.

- Leo Szilard

well my idea was to disable all that power management stuff

Quote Originally Posted by morbidpete View Post
    well my idea was to disable all that power management stuff
    good point. it was one of the first things i did in researching this (root hub setting), but after i started digging in the BIOS i hadnt tried that setting in conjunction with them.

ill give it another shot tomorrow. i may run to the local mom'n'pop computer store tomorrow and pick up a different hub to see if the problem persists. would sure answer some questions.

much appreciated, bud.

- Leo Szilard