Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sys admins - who is rolling out Windows 7?

Sys admins - who is rolling out Windows 7?

?

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Like prior new OSs...not til SP1.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Like prior new OSs...not til SP1.
    I don't think waiting for SP1 will need to be the norm unlike the start of XP days and Win2k.... not in the case of Win7 as I've not heard of many issues if any to cause a SP1 delay.

Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    I don't think waiting for SP1 will need to be the norm unlike the start of XP days and Win2k.... not in the case of Win7 as I've not heard of many issues if any to cause a SP1 delay.
    I don't think the business software developers will change just due to one OS, it'll be the same. The SMB/Enterprise world will wait.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

I am waiting untill this xmas to install it. Just like every OS its going to have some bugs in it

My~Rig
    |Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Toledo 2.0GHz @ 2.5Ghz||ASROCK 939Dual-SATA2||OCZ Platinum 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC3200|ZALMAN 120MM CNPS7700-CU|
    |ATI XT 1600 PRO|CSB SB0570 Audigy SE 7.1||WD SE16 SATA 320GB HD|Hitachi SATA 160GB HD|Thermaltake TR2 W0070 ATX 430W Power Supply |WIN 7 Ultimate| (College Budget)

I have already started installing it on some various machines at work.

Win7 has far far less bugs than other MS operating systems' first launch. The majority of Win7 bugs have been solved during Vista. It's not that much different than Vista anyway, in essence, it's what Vista "should have been" to begin with.

However, bad practice to roll out a new OS in a network environment when it's first released. It destabilizes the workplace.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

I think I'll install it on my Xp machine cause its just that darn good.... I don't foresee any issues right now even with running the 7127 build for this long and testing it with anything I can and so far so good with the Punkbuster exception which was corrected by Evanbalance finally.

I think I'll install it on my Xp machine cause its just that darn good.
    Oh it's definitely good, no question about that. I'm not saying it's not good. I love it, it's my main OS on my primary laptop. We have it on several rigs at the office. Matter of fact..Daves World installed it on an old Dell Optiplex GX280 he uses as his primary rig on his desk. It's an old Pentium 4 HT 2.8 with 1 gig of RAM. Yes...an original P4 Hyperthread CPU, not a dual core, not a core 2 duo..but an old Northwood. It runs smoother and snappier than XP Pro did on that rig. Yeah, just 1 gig of RAM too.

But when you talk about "sys admins"...you're talking about business/enterprise networks. When you talk about business/enterprise networks, you talk about line of business applications. This means running that application in an environment supported by that software. When you spend several hundred thousand dollars on some LOB app, and you pay thousands or tens of thousands of dollars per year on annual support, you run their software on a network that they support. You wait until they've patched their software and give their official statement to say "OK, we are now compliant with Windows 7".

Same thing with other hardware devices on networks, when a business has spend tens of thousands or more on a bunch of Canon iR series units around the office, and they use those machines heavily...you wait until they have software/drivers that support Windows 7. Etc etc.

Or some edge VPN appliance whos little Java based SSL VPN applet doesn't support Windows 7 yet...while the business is dependent on all of their remote users having to VPN in each day for production.

The IT guy who is in charge of 500 workstations 'n laptops...and willy nilly purchases and spends company time to deploy 50x more workstations and laptops with Windows 7 because he feels it's good...only to find out there is some "issue"...well, he's looking for another job soon.

It's not about keeping up with the joneses in the business IT world, it's usually about sitting back for a while and resting on proven standards, because you're depending on support in sooooo many different areas all working.

Then there is the training. Lets not forget, most of the business/enterprise world is still purchasing new PCs with XPp downgrades. Hardly any of them have taken on Vista. So the jump for them will be from XPp to Windows 7. So even though Windows 7 is sorta like Vista SE...the corporate environment doesn't know about Vista yet..so it's really a jump from XPp to Windows 7.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

I understand the willingness to wait but I don't think waiting for a Sp1 on Win7 will really matter and I'm sure people will figure this out quickly.

I only have it installed on a few. We have a lot of java based apps that have to be tested first. Some of our apps don't even work with java 6. I have to use an older version and turn off the updates. So we will see. Right now I only have it on 3 machines and it seems to be doing fine so far.

I understand the willingness to wait but I don't think waiting for a Sp1 on Win7 will really matter and I'm sure people will figure this out quickly.
    As was stated above, wait till SP1 because:
    1. service packs include newer drivers for hardware that may noy have been supported by the original Op Sys release.
    2. sp1 usually is released within 6 months to a year for an op sys, thus that's a "rule of thumb" timeframe for hardware & software vendors to release their updates.
    Immediately migrating to a new op sys for a business is not a good idea for obvious reasons, mentioned above as well.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

Quote Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
    The majority of Win7 bugs have been solved during Vista.

frustratingly true, imo.
    "Today is a black day in the history of mankind."

- Leo Szilard

I was working on a room of computers that I maintain (doing windows updates) and some dumb co-worker asked me if I was installing Windows 7.

Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by CableDude View Post
    I was working on a room of computers that I maintain (doing windows updates) and some dumb co-worker asked me if I was installing Windows 7.

Seriously.
    why not? Even now I've not seen or heard of anything on the scope of issues XP or Vista had when launched....

We will wait at my job. Still I am impressed with it, but we will take our time rolling it out.

why not? Even now I've not seen or heard of anything on the scope of issues XP or Vista had when launched....
    Because businesses don't do it that way.

Plus you are comparing XP and Vista which were all new when they came out to 7 which is a better version of vista really.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post

which is a better version of vista really.
    All the more reason to not worry about it at this point... its pretty much a fully redux of Vista or Vista SUPER SP3.

YoSC hit the nail on the head. As good as 7 is it's crazy to implement fully across a network right away.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
    Win7 has far far less bugs than other MS operating systems' first launch. The majority of Win7 bugs have been solved during Vista. It's not that much different than Vista anyway, in essence, it's what Vista "should have been" to begin with.....
    basically, this is Vista SP3 but you will have to pay for it