Thread: Can't Conenct to my router

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Can't Conenct to my router

Wgr614 v5
    access ip is 192.168.1.1

Got a router, reset it and ever since then i can't access the wireless & config page. I plugged my modem into the Lan port and my computer into one of the ethernet ports. I can connect online but i get a direct IP to my modem, totally bypassing my router. My default gateway is my modem instead of my router.

How can connect to my router page. Another problem is i can't see my SSID as there is a secure wireless connection with the default SSID Locked, and the signal is very strong.

Any advice?

Quote Originally Posted by aagiants View Post
    Wgr614 v5
    access ip is 192.168.1.1

Got a router, reset it and ever since then i can't access the wireless & config page. I plugged my modem into the Lan port and my computer into one of the ethernet ports. I can connect online but i get a direct IP to my modem, totally bypassing my router. My default gateway is my modem instead of my router.

How can connect to my router page. Another problem is i can't see my SSID as there is a secure wireless connection with the default SSID Locked, and the signal is very strong.

Any advice?
    Is your modem also a router and perhaps double natting. Go to start/run/cmd/enter and type ipconfig /all and see what your IP is.
    assuming it's not in the 192 range, you're getting your IP from the modem/router and not from your new router
    Disconnect the router from the modem and then try to access the router. You could disable DHCP on the router and change it's static IP to be in the same range as the modem. If you wish to use the router for wireless, be sure to set up secure WPA connection, change the default SSID name and password. You could then reconnect the
    btw, you connected the modem to the WAN (not LAN) port on the router. The 4 ethernet ports are LAN ports.

Quote Originally Posted by lenwest View Post
    Is your modem also a router and perhaps double natting. Go to start/run/cmd/enter and type ipconfig /all and see what your IP is.
    assuming it's not in the 192 range, you're getting your IP from the modem/router and not from your new router
    Disconnect the router from the modem and then try to access the router. You could disable DHCP on the router and change it's static IP to be in the same range as the modem. If you wish to use the router for wireless, be sure to set up secure WPA connection, change the default SSID name and password. You could then reconnect the
    btw, you connected the modem to the WAN (not LAN) port on the router. The 4 ethernet ports are LAN ports.

Nope have a dedicated modem and router.

Motorole Sb4200, Netgear wgr6400v5?

My IP address is of the modem (real IP not of router) Usually my IP starts with the 192.

If i connect ONLY to the router and disconnect the modem, i can't connect to the router. I can't ping the router, i can't even detect the router at all. Its almost like its broken and won't route anything...

The router doesn't sound too healthy. I suppose you did a hard reset, by holding a pin into the reset slot - hold it for 20+ seconds with the power on and let it reboot. (all this without being plugged into the modem or computer). After the lights stop flashing, connect your computer to one of the 4 LAN ports (not to the WAN port).
    The computer should pick up an IP from the router. Do an ipconfig /all and see what your IP is. It should be in the 192 range.
    If not, it would seem that your router is NG.