Thread: How much do you spend on your hobbies?

How much do you spend on your hobbies?

Just curious, am looking at a new camera and wondering how much it's worth to me as far as the amount of money, my other expenses, if it gets me out of the house and doing things outside more, etc... Asking myself if $650 is worth it to me to be able to look at my own pictures. Lot of money for me...but I have really enjoyed my last couple point and shoot cameras and think hobbies can help your overall well-being a lot.

If it wasn't a camera it'd probably be a nice metal detector. Lots of fun

Or a foam archery target for my back field so I can shoot my compound bow after work while I vent about bitchy customers.

What hobbies do you spend money on and how do you rationalize the cost?
    Last edited by Humboldt; 09-29-09 at 08:10 PM.

cooking and home theater,

HT is done for now,

and cooking is an ongoing task,

not much on anything extra right now
    Last edited by Dan; 09-29-09 at 10:23 PM.

cooking and music

my hobbies include: computers, photography and tinkering with cars. Got a media center PC setup in my master bedroom and I have setup a Media center latop for my tv down stairs (Don't have a HD tv yet).

I have a DSLR Nikon D40X with a 18-55mm lense and a 55-200 VR zoom lens.

I have a old 93 civic EX I have been fixing up.

Expensive hobbies!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilog B
    Loading the dishwasher at brembo's house means bringing the fiancee a sixpack home.

Blog Entries
    Thankfully, photography is not nearly as expensive as it used to be. Back when I first got into photography twenty years ago and had my Pentax K1000, then my Minolta, shooting film was prohibitively expensive. Had to give it up around the time my first daughter was born, just due to the costs of buying and developing film. Now that digital is here, after laying out the initial costs for the camera and a couple of lenses, I may throw a few dollars here or there to get some stuff developed that I've already screened to ensure a good picture.

However, with that said, I've probably spent in the neighborhood of around $800-$900 in photographic hardware in the last 12 months. And I'm probably going to spend another $700-$1500 over the next 6 or 8 months to get another camera body and a little higher end zoom lens than what I have now.
    ------
    “The most beautiful thing we can experience in life is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: for his eyes are closed.” - Albert Einstein

Between being an A/V and gadget Geek and thousands of dollars vested into photography equipment, it can get very expensive! It sure is fun though.
    Have your feelings been hurt by a random act of E-Thuggery? If so, call 1-800-Waaaaahmbulance, we're here 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, to take your call, you could be due a large monetary settlement, don't delay, call now.

"Please be careful prior to entering the world wide web, the internet is serious business"

I love my digital cameras.
    Last edited by Humboldt; 09-29-09 at 10:40 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    Hell, my approach is pretty simplistic.

The more time I spend taking pictures the less time I spend feeling bad about other things. That is starting to seem worth more and more.

Photography is excellent as a diversionary hobby. I've spent hours at a time out taking pictures...even thinking of planning a trip out to Taos New Mexico just so I can shoot a bunch of stuff there.
    ------
    “The most beautiful thing we can experience in life is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: for his eyes are closed.” - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post

Photography is excellent as a diversionary hobby. I've spent hours at a time out taking pictures...even thinking of planning a trip out to Taos New Mexico just so I can shoot a bunch of stuff there.
    Ever done any ruins, cliff dwellings?

Four Corners region isn't too far from Taos.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    Ever done any ruins, cliff dwellings?
    Not yet. That's partially a reason why I want to head out to Taos, for the pueblos there. That, and the mountain range in the background. Should make for some interesting shots.

Another destination would be to head back to England. I had gone there about 15 years ago, and came across some spectacular ruins that I'd have a field day with today.
    ------

I play guitar and have a small home recording setup. There always seems to something I want but lately I've tempered by desires. About every other day I see a guitar I just have to have. Fortunately I can get by with $100 here and there and keep myself happy.

The big problem right now is that a lot of the things I want on eBay are priced 20% lower than they were a year ago. Some effect processors and guitar are going REALLY cheap. It's hard to resist.

I dumped $4500 of performance mods into my engine this summer. If it makes you happy, go for it! You only live once...
    ** Speed 3370(down)/425(up) kbps **
    My IROC-Z28