Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Canon EOS Rebel XSi Black 12.20 MP 3.0

Canon EOS Rebel XSi Black 12.20 MP 3.0

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16830120262

$569 plus tax, very very tempting.
    Sitting in the cart right now just waiting for me to click the button

YeOld posted a NewEgg weekend sale in the classifieds and they're offering 10% off DSLR cameras right now, up to $50.

Blog Entries
    Looks like a pretty good deal. Have you had a chance to maybe check it out in a local store just to get a feel for it in your hands?
    ------
    “The most beautiful thing we can experience in life is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: for his eyes are closed.” - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    Looks like a pretty good deal. Have you had a chance to maybe check it out in a local store just to get a feel for it in your hands?
    Not yet, just saw this earlier today.

Have been comparing the various Rebels against the entry Sony Alphas and Nikon D3000 and Olympus and people seem pretty happy with it, one negative that it was a bit too small.

Looks like a good time to buy with that $50 off, though that is good on any of the DSLRs at NewEgg. Not totally sold on the XSi though, just wondering what your opinion is.

Have read that unless the Live View features or the extra 2 MP or 3" LCD instead of 2.5" are a big concern that it might be better to put the same $ into a Canon Rebel XT body only with a better lense than what comes with this kit.

Also, the A350 has the IS built in, which I don't know enough about to know if that's the best thing since sliced bread or not. I read a lot of entry level DSLRshave the built in IS but don't know enough about buying lenses to know what the price difference would be between regulare lenses and those with IS.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    Not yet, just saw this earlier today.

Have been comparing the various Rebels against the entry Sony Alphas and Nikon D3000 and Olympus and people seem pretty happy with it, one negative that it was a bit too small.

Looks like a good time to buy with that $50 off, though that is good on any of the DSLRs at NewEgg. Not totally sold on the XSi though, just wondering what your opinion is.

Have read that unless the Live View features or the extra 2 MP or 3" LCD instead of 2.5" are a big concern that it might be better to put the same $ into a Canon Rebel XT body only with a better lense than what comes with this kit.

Also, the A350 has the IS built in, which I don't know enough about to know if that's the best thing since sliced bread or not. I read a lot of entry level DSLRshave the built in IS but don't know enough about buying lenses to know what the price difference would be between regulare lenses and those with IS.
    The only one that I know that has a Rebel is my sister in law...for someone who took a couple of years worth of classes in high school for photography, she sure can't take a picture. Everytime I see a picture she's taken with her rebel, it's out of focus, or focused on the wrong subject. So unfortunately, I can't give a clear answer based on her camera...

However, if you go here: http://www.flickr.com/cameras/canon/...tal_rebel_xsi/ - it has a little bit of information about the camera, plus a sampling of photos that people have taken with it, so you can kind of get a feel for the image quality.

IS is a nice feature to have, especially in low light situations where you have to lower your shutter speed to get more light onto the sensor. Without the IS, you stand more of a chance to induce blur, especially with a hand held shot, than you would with it. If you don't plan on taking a lot of photos in low light or low speed situations, it shouldn't be too big a deal. But all things being equal, I'd take the camera with the IS vs. the camera without.
    ------
    “The most beautiful thing we can experience in life is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: for his eyes are closed.” - Albert Einstein

Thanks, looking at your link now.

What I've been looking at so far...

New to me, out of Britain?
    http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Ca.../verdict.shtml

but always first:
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...-review-7.html

Love the sample images on all the models they look at

Blog Entries
    Thanks, looking at your link now.

What I've been looking at so far...

New to me, out of Britain?
    http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Ca.../verdict.shtml

but always first:

Nice article on the first link...I'll probably be upgrading my camera to the A350 in the near future, since I'm already on the Alpha line and have several lenses for it. I'll be handing my current camera body down to my younger daughter, as she's been recently expressing an interest in getting into photography. But I may also opt for the A700 if I can squeeze out the money for it.

Another camera to maybe take a look at is the Sony A330. They just introduced it recently, and if I'm not mistaken, is in the same ballpark pricewise as the rebel: http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Sony_Alpha_DSLR_A330/ - it uses all the lenses made for the alpha line, and has a nice little flip out lcd screen for it's live view.
    ------

Cameralabs does seem to have a good site. I like the severe cropping and enhancement on their test shots.

Always liked Steve's though

Have no lenses whatsoever yet (didn't you mention when you bought your Sony Alpha that you had old lenses you could use with it?)

Blog Entries
    Cameralabs does seem to have a good site. I like the severe cropping and enhancement on their test shots.

Always liked Steve's though

Have no lenses whatsoever yet (didn't you mention when you bought your Sony Alpha that you had old lenses you could use with it?)
    Yeah, the sony cameras are based on the minolta AF lens mount, so any lens built for the Minolta Autofocus cameras in the last 20 years will work with it...lot's of potential stuff out there that you could use on a sony.
    ------

Yeah, the sony cameras are based on the minolta AF lens mount, so any lens built for the Minolta Autofocus cameras in the last 20 years will work with it...lot's of potential stuff out there that you could use on a sony.
    Where as with the Canon I'd have to buy proprietary lenses with the IS built in.

How much of a difference does it make? I guess I'd rather have the extra weight in the camera body instead of the lense but haven't had experience with either.

What kind of price difference would I be looking at for future purchases, like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16830998812 ?

Blog Entries
    Where as with the Canon I'd have to buy proprietary lenses with the IS built in.

How much of a difference does it make? I guess I'd rather have the extra weight in the camera body instead of the lense but haven't had experience with either.

What kind of price difference would I be looking at for future purchases, like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16830998812 ?
    Just in comparison, when I bought my 70-300mm lens last January, I paid about $250 for it. Aperture looks to be the same as what I've got on my lens. I'm not so hip on the IS being in the lens as opposed to the camera like Sony's got.

Here's the link on the sony lens that's comparable to the canon you're looking at: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-75-300mm-...4028494&sr=1-4
    ------

. I'm not so hip on the IS being in the lens as opposed to the camera like Sony's got.
    Is there a visual difference between the two, or is it more a higher availability of usable lenses?

Blog Entries
    Is there a visual difference between the two, or is it more a higher availability of usable lenses?
    I doubt there's any image quality difference between the two, other than the fact that the sony has IS built into the camera, so you don't have any motorized gear in the lens itself, whereas the canon has IS built into the lens, which means the gearing is within the lens body and not the camera body. It's essentially the same between the two cameras as far as theory of operation, it's just implemented differently. With Sony, you have one IS motor, which is built into the camera. With Canon, each lens that has IS has the motor built into the lens.

As far as availability of lenses goes, that's hard to say. I'm not sure what kind of base Canon has with it's lenses. But Sony's got a pretty wide range of lenses, thanks in part to the fact that Sony bought out Minolta and adopted it's mounting system. One of the most popular lenses for the Alpha line, which I plan on eventually getting, is the Minolta Beercan ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minolta...210mm_f/4_lens ). It was brought onto the market in 1986 and is still very popular among Sony users because of the image quality and sharpness gained by using it.
    ------

Open to opinions, please.

For the $ would you recommend an Alpha over a similarly priced Rebel XT or XS or XSi, based on the placement of the IS in the camera body instead of the lense and all of the Minolta optics that will work with it?

I'll bet it's a real nice camera. I had a Sony Alpha for about 5 months, and some Minolta lenses. It took awesome pics and had great colors but I got tired of changing lenses every time I turn around. Then one day I came across a like new Digital Rebel 300d with about 200 actuations and it just seemed so good to handle a Canon again so I decided to sell the Sony.

I'd kind of prefer a smaller Rebel XT, XTi, XS, XSi, etc., because they are lighter and would be nicer to carry on my back on my motorcycle. If I happen upon a great deal on one of these I may go for it some day.

I kind of prefer Canon for it's handling and placement of buttons, etc. To each his own. IQ wise you are probably cutting hairs.

I used to have a Sony H1 which is a really nice P&S camera, all except for the handling of it. It has superb IQ but just doesn't feel like a Canon or Panasonic handling wise. I guess it all depends on what brand you've used the most of and are most comfortable with.
    Last edited by Lurch; 09-27-09 at 08:23 AM.

but always first:

This pic http://www.steves-digicams.com/2008_...s/IMG_0038.JPG

is taken on Dunedin Causeway, same place where I took these

http://forums.speedguide.net/showthread.php?t=263756

I use to practically live on that causeway when I was sailing catamarans, such a beautiful area and at the end of the causeway is Honeymoon Island State Park. It's amazes me how popular kayaks are nowadays.

I think I'm going to go for it.

Not cheap but seems to be a decent deal, and I could REALLY use a distraction in my life right now.

Still wobbling between the Sony Alphas and the Rebel but given the 20 or so reviews I've looked at of both the XSi seems to have a slight edge. Faster shutter speed, larger LCD, standard flash is a bit more effective.

Blog Entries
    I think I'm going to go for it.

Not cheap but seems to be a decent deal, and I could REALLY use a distraction in my life right now.

Still wobbling between the Sony Alphas and the Rebel but given the 20 or so reviews I've looked at of both the XSi seems to have a slight edge. Faster shutter speed, larger LCD, standard flash is a bit more effective.

Anymore, the differences are just splitting hairs and it comes down to personal preference. The key is to really experiment with it when you get it to learn all of the controls - that's really the best way to get the most of the camera
    ------

Anymore, the differences are just splitting hairs and it comes down to personal preference. The key is to really experiment with it when you get it to learn all of the controls - that's really the best way to get the most of the camera
    Now trying to talk myself out of it for the sake of being cheap

Weighing how much I really need a new camera vs how much I want a new camera, and how much I really get out of photography.

To be honest though I really dig it. It gets me outside, gets me going places, gives me a quasi creative output.

Blog Entries
    Now trying to talk myself out of it for the sake of being cheap

Weighing how much I really need a new camera vs how much I want a new camera, and how much I really get out of photography.

To be honest though I really dig it. It gets me outside, gets me going places, gives me a quasi creative output.
    For me it was a purely 'want' buy vs. 'need.' I went through the same "Should I buy this or can I use the money elsewhere" thought process. Unless you're a professional, buying a dslr is purely a recreational buy.

Like you said, it gets you outside visiting places that you might not normally have considered. You'll find that the more you put into photography, the more you'll get out of it and you'll definitely get a lot of satisfaction out of it. I know I do.
    ------