Thread: Led tv???

Led tv???

I am looking at LED tvs, Sony KDL46XBR8 is getting my attention because of the local dimming leds as compared to samsung outer edge leds. Do you AV experts know if this is worth the extra expense over a normal LCD tv? It is about a grand more for the same size screen. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I would go with the LED TV for sure... I just wish they had them out a few years ago when I just purchased my new Sharp LCD.

Do you thinkg the local dimming on sony is better the the edge lit leds on samsung?

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Do you thinkg the local dimming on sony is better the the edge lit leds on samsung?
    I really don't know the answer to that..I've not really looked at the two differences much.. if I had to really pick one I'd go with Samsung..they have been solid on performance with monitors and TV's here lately.

I am looking at LED tvs, Sony KDL46XBR8 is getting my attention because of the local dimming leds as compared to samsung outer edge leds. Do you AV experts know if this is worth the extra expense over a normal LCD tv? It is about a grand more for the same size screen. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Is there a reason you are not looking at plasmas? I would think for the extra grand you could have a few options. Pioneer is getting out of the business, but they had most of their parts made by Panasonic.

Poineer KURO

The Elites have a little more custom settings, but unless your a real geek about it, the regular is fine.

I've always leaned toward Samsung, Pioneer, Panasonic. Sony makes great TVs, but they are so bloody expensive and IMO it's not worth the reach. Visio has come a long way but, I'm still not sold on their relability.

These guys are pretty honest about reviews:

Home Theater Magazine

Opinions vary and what may look better to you may not to someone else. I would just take a look at everything that fits your budget and needs. Play with the settings, they are usually wrong, and see what you think. Get what YOU like.

And remember specifications they say they have are stretched, everyone of them do not reach what they say.
    Now, Hank, touch your throat. That tube you feel is your trachea. Think of it as your handle. That thing your thumb is on is your carotid artery. Think of it as your button. I want you to grab the handle, push the button.
    -Brock Samson

I would stay away from any new name in the game. We use to deal with a company named Syntax who distributed/made the Olivia line of TVs. They were the big thing in discount LCDs for about 3 years. They've been closed for about a year and have a lot of very unhappy customers.

I agonized over my purchase until my wife put a credit card in my hand and said "Go get a damn TV!". I can't imagine a much better pic than the Panasonic Viera Plasma set. For over $1000 less than that Sony, you can get a theater quality Panny in a 54" model and a 46" for almost $1500 less. With the current generation of panels lasting 20 years, seems like a great value. The only drawback is power consumption. A 1080P Plasma is about twice the wattage.
    USMC RETIRED

Steve

Tacoma Guitar Forum

Depends if you're are you on a budget.

Local dimming LED's have better contrast and viewing angles, but more $$$ as you're already figured out. Edge LED's don't produce the same pic quality as local dimming counterparts, but are cheaper.

If you're high on picture quality, money isn't an issue and you're dead set on an LCD, then go for the Sony. If you're on a budget, go with a high quality plasma panel. Better picture than any LEDTV on the market and cheaper.
    Last edited by Prey521; 09-18-09 at 03:35 PM.
    Have your feelings been hurt by a random act of E-Thuggery? If so, call 1-800-Waaaaahmbulance, we're here 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, to take your call, you could be due a large monetary settlement, don't delay, call now.

"Please be careful prior to entering the world wide web, the internet is serious business"

I was torn between Sony and Samsung when I decided to buy an LCD TV about six months ago. But in the end, I settled for the latter because of its quality and price. The picture clarity was so good that you can't tell the difference between the two and the clincher was the price eventually. Samsung is much cheaper and is one of the best LCD TV on the market right now.

I also have a few questions. I'm debating between these two tv's:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218065985439

or

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....ustomerreviews

Any one have any first rate experience from either of thest two tv's? Also, any where I decide to buy a tv, the store will push their "calibration" service. Is it worth the few hundred dollars? I know I could save a ton of money buying one of those calibration dvd's instead. I'm leaning towards the dvd.

Thanks for any advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Illini25 View Post
    I also have a few questions. I'm debating between these two tv's:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218065985439

or

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....ustomerreviews

Any one have any first rate experience from either of thest two tv's? Also, any where I decide to buy a tv, the store will push their "calibration" service. Is it worth the few hundred dollars? I know I could save a ton of money buying one of those calibration dvd's instead. I'm leaning towards the dvd.

Thanks for any advice.
    I ended up getting the Samsung LED 7000 series in 46 inch. I will finish putting it up Wednesday since it requires an entire living room shift to do it. I will let you know what I think after that.

I ended up getting the Samsung LED 7000 series in 46 inch. I will finish putting it up Wednesday since it requires an entire living room shift to do it. I will let you know what I think after that.
    Thanks Lefty.

Quote Originally Posted by Illini25 View Post
    Thanks Lefty.
    I got it installed and couldn't be happier. I feel like I can reach right out and smack Gilligan. This is too cool.

I feel like I can reach right out and smack Gilligan. This is too cool.
    pics or video of this?