Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Linksys' Old Firmwares Archive?

  1. #1
    Ant
    Guest

    Linksys' Old Firmwares Archive?

    Hi!

    Does anyone know where Linksys archives it old firmwares?

    Thank you in advance. :)
    --
    "Left right left right we're army ants. We swarm we fight. We have no
    home. We roam. We race. You're lucky if we miss your place." --Douglas
    Florian (The Army Ants Poem)
    /\___/\
    / /\ /\ \ Phil/Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
    | |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links (AQFL): http://aqfl.net
    \ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
    ( ) or ANTant@zimage.com
    Ant is currently not listening to any songs on his home computer.

  2. #2
    1PW
    Guest

    Re: Linksys' Old Firmwares Archive?

    Ant wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > Does anyone know where Linksys archives it old firmwares?
    >
    > Thank you in advance. :)


    Just in case Phil, what's the exact model number and the hardware
    revision level off the router's outside cabinet sticker/label?

    Pete
    --
    1PW

  3. #3
    1PW
    Guest

    Re: Linksys' Old Firmwares Archive?

    Ant wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > Does anyone know where Linksys archives it old firmwares?
    >
    > Thank you in advance. :)


    I /did/ remember looking at <ftp://ftp.linksys.com/downloads/>, but I
    haven't the foggiest notion how they're organized and what the unusual
    directory abbreviations mean.

    --
    1PW

  4. #4
    Ant
    Guest

    Re: Linksys' Old Firmwares Archive?

    On 9/13/2009 4:16 AM PT, 1PW typed:

    >> Does anyone know where Linksys archives it old firmwares?

    >
    > Just in case Phil, what's the exact model number and the hardware
    > revision level off the router's outside cabinet sticker/label?


    Linksys BEFSX41 v1 router.
    --
    "But, you may argue, our uniqueness is so extreme! More extreme than the
    platypus which looks like a collection of leftover parts? More unique
    than the societal honeybee with its division of labor? More unique than
    the communist ants who keep aphids as farm animals?" --John Logan
    /\___/\
    / /\ /\ \ Phil/Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
    | |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links (AQFL): http://aqfl.net
    \ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
    ( ) or ANTant@zimage.com
    Ant is currently not listening to any songs on his home computer.

  5. #5
    GlowingBlueMist
    Guest

    Re: Linksys' Old Firmwares Archive?

    Ant wrote:
    > On 9/13/2009 4:16 AM PT, 1PW typed:
    >
    >>> Does anyone know where Linksys archives it old firmwares?

    >>
    >> Just in case Phil, what's the exact model number and the hardware
    >> revision level off the router's outside cabinet sticker/label?

    >
    > Linksys BEFSX41 v1 router.


    Here is a link to the firmware that is available. It might get you going if
    you have not "bricked" your unit yet.

    http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/...FSX41/download



  6. #6
    Ant
    Guest

    Re: Linksys' Old Firmwares Archive?

    On 9/13/2009 5:25 PM PT, GlowingBlueMist typed:

    >>>> Does anyone know where Linksys archives it old firmwares?
    >>> Just in case Phil, what's the exact model number and the hardware
    >>> revision level off the router's outside cabinet sticker/label?

    >> Linksys BEFSX41 v1 router.

    >
    > Here is a link to the firmware that is available. It might get you going if
    > you have not "bricked" your unit yet.
    >
    > http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/...FSX41/download


    But that's only the latest one. I am looking for OLD firmwares.
    --
    "Do not kill ants. They are your best friends." --Joe Brainard
    /\___/\
    / /\ /\ \ Phil/Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
    | |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links (AQFL): http://aqfl.net
    \ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
    ( ) or ANTant@zimage.com
    Ant is currently not listening to any songs on his home computer.

  7. #7
    chris
    Guest

    Re: Linksys' Old Firmwares Archive?

    "Ant" wrote

    > > http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/...FSX41/download

    >
    > But that's only the latest one. I am looking for OLD firmwares.


    so did I.
    I have also a BEFSX41 router v1 and I have no idea how to get it
    connected to the internet. My other Linksys router works great but
    this one never worked for me.
    I googled for hours and trying every link but no success so far.
    Their seems to be a lot of problems with firmware versions so I give up
    and decided it was a bad purchase.
    I still have the router but that's because I'm to laze to throw it away.



  8. #8
    1PW
    Guest

    Re: Linksys' Old Firmwares Archive?

    chris wrote:
    > "Ant" wrote
    >
    > > > http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/...FSX41/download

    >> But that's only the latest one. I am looking for OLD firmwares.

    >
    > so did I.
    > I have also a BEFSX41 router v1 and I have no idea how to get it
    > connected to the internet. My other Linksys router works great but
    > this one never worked for me.
    > I googled for hours and trying every link but no success so far.
    > Their seems to be a lot of problems with firmware versions so I give up
    > and decided it was a bad purchase.
    > I still have the router but that's because I'm to laze to throw it away.


    I wonder if you or Phil has phoned Linksys and asked where their
    achieves are for that unit?

    --
    1PW

  9. #9
    Ant
    Guest

    Re: Linksys' Old Firmwares Archive?

    On 9/14/2009 3:00 AM PT, 1PW typed:

    >> > > http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/...FSX41/download
    >>> But that's only the latest one. I am looking for OLD firmwares.

    >> so did I.
    >> I have also a BEFSX41 router v1 and I have no idea how to get it
    >> connected to the internet. My other Linksys router works great but
    >> this one never worked for me.
    >> I googled for hours and trying every link but no success so far.
    >> Their seems to be a lot of problems with firmware versions so I give up
    >> and decided it was a bad purchase.
    >> I still have the router but that's because I'm to laze to throw it away.

    >
    > I wonder if you or Phil has phoned Linksys and asked where their
    > achieves are for that unit?


    I asked in the forum and got a third party link/URL which I don't trust!
    --
    "As a thinker and planner, the ant is the equal of any savage race of
    men; as a self-educated specialist in several arts she is the superior
    of any savage race of men; and in one or two high mental qualities she
    is above the reach of any man..." --Mark Twain
    /\___/\
    / /\ /\ \ Phil/Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
    | |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links (AQFL): http://aqfl.net
    \ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
    ( ) or ANTant@zimage.com
    Ant is currently not listening to any songs on his home computer.

  10. #10
    1PW
    Guest

    Re: Linksys' Old Firmwares Archive?

    Ant wrote:
    > On 9/14/2009 3:00 AM PT, 1PW typed:
    >
    >>> > > http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/...FSX41/download
    >>>> But that's only the latest one. I am looking for OLD firmwares.
    >>> so did I.
    >>> I have also a BEFSX41 router v1 and I have no idea how to get it
    >>> connected to the internet. My other Linksys router works great but
    >>> this one never worked for me.
    >>> I googled for hours and trying every link but no success so far.
    >>> Their seems to be a lot of problems with firmware versions so I give up
    >>> and decided it was a bad purchase.
    >>> I still have the router but that's because I'm to laze to throw it away.

    >>
    >> I wonder if you or Phil has phoned Linksys and asked where their
    >> achieves are for that unit?

    >
    > I asked in the forum and got a third party link/URL which I don't trust!


    Sandbox your browser and send the download to Virus Total. I'm not
    sure how you'd calculate the risk to reward ratio though. You're
    still running Linux on one of your systems aren't you?

    --
    1PW

  11. #11
    Ant
    Guest

    Re: Linksys' Old Firmwares Archive?

    On 9/14/2009 9:59 AM PT, 1PW typed:

    > Sandbox your browser and send the download to Virus Total. I'm not
    > sure how you'd calculate the risk to reward ratio though. You're
    > still running Linux on one of your systems aren't you?


    Yup. Debian.
    --
    "Where the sugar is, there will the ant be also." --Philippines
    /\___/\
    / /\ /\ \ Phil/Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
    | |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links (AQFL): http://aqfl.net
    \ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
    ( ) or ANTant@zimage.com
    Ant is currently not listening to any songs on his home computer.

  12. #12
    1PW
    Guest

    Re: Linksys' Old Firmwares Archive?

    Ant wrote:
    > On 9/14/2009 9:59 AM PT, 1PW typed:
    >
    >> Sandbox your browser and send the download to Virus Total. I'm not
    >> sure how you'd calculate the risk to reward ratio though. You're
    >> still running Linux on one of your systems aren't you?

    >
    > Yup. Debian.


    Security by obscurity for its browser(s) whilst you download from the
    questionable source.

    --
    1PW

  13. #13
    chris
    Guest

    Re: Linksys' Old Firmwares Archive?

    "1PW" wrote

    > I wonder if you or Phil has phoned Linksys and asked where their
    > achieves are for that unit?


    no, I didn't but I could use email ( no, I didn't ).
    I got it second-handed, so maybe it's not their fault/problem.
    I had a FTP downloadlink in my bookmarks , but that seems to be
    discontinued. If Linksys makes it their customers that difficult to get
    old firmware, well, my next router most likely isn't a Linksys again.



  14. #14
    1PW
    Guest

    Re: Linksys' Old Firmwares Archive?

    chris wrote:
    > "1PW" wrote
    >
    > > I wonder if you or Phil has phoned Linksys and asked where their
    >> achieves are for that unit?

    >
    > no, I didn't but I could use email ( no, I didn't ).
    > I got it second-handed, so maybe it's not their fault/problem.
    > I had a FTP downloadlink in my bookmarks , but that seems to be
    > discontinued. If Linksys makes it their customers that difficult to get
    > old firmware, well, my next router most likely isn't a Linksys again.


    Hello Chris:

    Although in this instance it's not possible, dd-wrt might have some
    interesting alternatives:

    <http://www.dd-wrt.com/>


    --
    1PW

  15. #15
    Ant
    Guest

    Re: Linksys' Old Firmwares Archive?

    On 9/15/2009 2:35 AM PT, 1PW typed:

    >> > I wonder if you or Phil has phoned Linksys and asked where their
    >>> achieves are for that unit?

    >> no, I didn't but I could use email ( no, I didn't ).
    >> I got it second-handed, so maybe it's not their fault/problem.
    >> I had a FTP downloadlink in my bookmarks , but that seems to be
    >> discontinued. If Linksys makes it their customers that difficult to get
    >> old firmware, well, my next router most likely isn't a Linksys again.

    >
    > Hello Chris:
    >
    > Although in this instance it's not possible, dd-wrt might have some
    > interesting alternatives:


    My old router can't use that.
    --
    * <-- Tribble ... *********************** <-- Tribbles imitating ants
    (unknown author)
    /\___/\
    / /\ /\ \ Phil/Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
    | |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links (AQFL): http://aqfl.net
    \ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
    ( ) or ANTant@zimage.com
    Ant is currently not listening to any songs on his home computer.

  16. #16
    GlowingBlueMist
    Guest

    Re: Linksys' Old Firmwares Archive?

    1PW wrote:
    > Ant wrote:
    >> On 9/14/2009 9:59 AM PT, 1PW typed:
    >>
    >>> Sandbox your browser and send the download to Virus Total. I'm not
    >>> sure how you'd calculate the risk to reward ratio though. You're
    >>> still running Linux on one of your systems aren't you?

    >>
    >> Yup. Debian.

    >
    > Security by obscurity for its browser(s) whilst you download from the
    > questionable source.


    Here is a link for version 1.46.2 from a DSL Reports 2005 forum message.
    They are good at removing or marking messages that contained any foreign
    software so it's a pretty good chance that the software is actually valid.
    I just checked the link and the firmware is still there.

    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,14624552

    With 4 years for people to have complained of any contamination and none
    having done it I'd be willing to try it if I actually had that router model.



  17. #17
    GlowingBlueMist
    Guest

    Re: Linksys' Old Firmwares Archive?

    GlowingBlueMist wrote:
    > 1PW wrote:
    >> Ant wrote:
    >>> On 9/14/2009 9:59 AM PT, 1PW typed:
    >>>
    >>>> Sandbox your browser and send the download to Virus Total. I'm not
    >>>> sure how you'd calculate the risk to reward ratio though. You're
    >>>> still running Linux on one of your systems aren't you?
    >>>
    >>> Yup. Debian.

    >>
    >> Security by obscurity for its browser(s) whilst you download from the
    >> questionable source.

    >
    > Here is a link for version 1.46.2 from a DSL Reports 2005 forum
    > message. They are good at removing or marking messages that contained
    > any foreign software so it's a pretty good chance that the software
    > is actually valid. I just checked the link and the firmware is still
    > there.
    > http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,14624552
    >
    > With 4 years for people to have complained of any contamination and
    > none having done it I'd be willing to try it if I actually had that
    > router model.


    Sorry, looks like that software was for the BEFSR not the BEFSX model.



  18. #18
    chris
    Guest

    Re: Linksys' Old Firmwares Archive?

    "GlowingBlueMist" wrote

    > Sorry, looks like that software was for the BEFSR not the BEFSX model.


    yes, it is.
    But Google also has a lot of hits if you search for BEFSX41.
    Anyway, thanks for your help.



  19. #19
    Char Jackson
    Guest

    Re: Linksys' Old Firmwares Archive?

    On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 17:56:31 -0700, Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:

    >On 9/13/2009 5:25 PM PT, GlowingBlueMist typed:
    >
    >>>>> Does anyone know where Linksys archives it old firmwares?
    >>>> Just in case Phil, what's the exact model number and the hardware
    >>>> revision level off the router's outside cabinet sticker/label?
    >>> Linksys BEFSX41 v1 router.

    >>
    >> Here is a link to the firmware that is available. It might get you going if
    >> you have not "bricked" your unit yet.
    >>
    >> http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/...FSX41/download

    >
    >But that's only the latest one. I am looking for OLD firmwares.


    Is there any evidence that an older firmware will be 'better' (however
    you define that) than the latest one? In other words, what are you
    trying to do?


  20. #20
    chris
    Guest

    Re: Linksys' Old Firmwares Archive?

    "Char Jackson" wrote

    > Is there any evidence that an older firmware will be 'better' (however
    > you define that) than the latest one? In other words, what are you
    > trying to do?


    yes, that's very well possible.
    Even if the new software is better, some users have better results with
    their
    routers with older firmware versions ( faster, less hick-up's ).
    Sometimes the latest M$ patches ruins your PC software and sometimes
    a firmware update makes things worse for some unknown reason.
    Or an older version makes things works ;-).

    from the linksys support site ( for the befsx41 )
    >To get older versions of the firmware for this router you need to contact
    >technical support. You can do this via live chat and tell the tech rep to

    look
    >in the archives. It should be there, the archives are not available to the
    >general public. I was able to get v1.52.10 this way.
    >The latest firmware, v1.52.15 does not allow remote administration, among
    >other things.




Similar Threads

  1. Cablevision VOIP modem and Linksys WCG200 problem
    By Nucemgd in forum Networking Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-05-10, 12:33 PM
  2. Linksys tech support live chat transcript - enjoy!!!!
    By jim in forum ms.public.windows.networking.wireless
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-01-08, 12:19 AM
  3. connect linksys wrt54g & cisco 2514 router
    By nigelatcisco in forum Networking Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-10-08, 12:27 PM
  4. Settings to allow ethernet connection from printer to Linksys router to work
    By Bud H in forum ms.public.windows.networking.wireless
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-26-08, 03:10 PM
  5. Cannot access Linksys Wireless GUI Page after DHCP disabled.
    By italpasta in forum Wireless Networks & Routers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-25-07, 04:27 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •