Thread: How are they tracking me?

gidget

Question How are they tracking me?

I went to this site called www.gamescene.com and played this Shockwave game about Dogs Playing Poker. Afterwards I returned and could resume the game (It remembered where I left off). I cleared cookies, browser cache, temp files, history, and changed IP address. Yet when I returned the game still let me resume with my last game. How are they able to keep track of this info? When I went there using anonymizer I got the following warning:

"An attempt has been made to access or communicate with the following location. This may represent a security risk.

Allow access?
    [] Allow Future Access by This Movie
    [] Allow Future Access from this Location
    by any movie
    [] Don't Ask again. "

Please help. I want to know if this is a security risk I need to be concerned about when using shockwave. Thanks in advance!

cobra25

it was explained to me that browsers keep something like an ID database that is why when you enter it they still recognise you.

Test it like this:
    first do a game using Internet Explorer
    then go to the site using Netscape

when using netscape you probably won't be recognised

and security risk?? don't be to paranoid they're not all out to get you

cih

Did you close Internet Explorer before returning to the game? If you clear cache and IE is open, it clears everything but the info that you're currently at. The same thign is true in Windows, if you try to delete a file that is in use, it will not allow you to...

Try closing IE, then clearing cache, then returning to the game site. Most likely, it will not remember where you left off

chacmool

However, the index.dat file that has pointers/tracers to cookies is not touched.

One has virtually deleted nothing if one deletes the "Cookies" & "Temp. Internet Files (TIF)" folders the conventional way.

Example: Clear out your TIF, then right click on the folder & select «Properties».

You will find that it sill contains many, many files & folders.

cih

Only 5 files and 2 folders when I clear TIF...

chacmool

For example:

My TIF properties (before clearing it the conventional way) = 50 files/5 Folders & 360 KBytes in size

My TIF properties (after clearing it the conventional way, i.e. nothing visable in the right hand pane, no cookies) = 48 files/5 Folders & 352 KBytes in size.

chacmool

cih,

Would be intersted to know...¿What is it's size?

Mine is now:

7 Files/5 folders & 90 Kbytes in size.

cih

I don't know what the size was...but now when I just did it again, I got:

3 files/1 folder
    1.82 MB

JANDOENT

Hey gidget, Welcome to Speed Guide.
    Due to the nature and function of your browser, it is one of the most vulnerable aspects of your 'puter. Check these sites out to learn why and a few ideas on how to make it safer: http://www.pcworld.com/news/article.asp?aid=35448 http://users.rcn.com/rms2000/acctroj/index.htm http://users.rcn.com/rms2000/acctroj/howto.htm http://www.webwasher.com/ http://members.tripod.com/Proxomitron/ http://users.rcn.com/rms2000/security/email/wrunews.htm
    Unfortunately, the anonymizer, still has security holes in it. I have an article thaat tells of the problems with it, but I can't find it now. The point is to not let it give you a false sense of security.
    Hey guys, you have 3 sets of hidden .dat files that keep a record of all of the sites you visit, etc. These files are very hard to get rid of. I have the info on how to do it. (only possible using DOS, if I remember correctly) I will look for it and post when I find it. I believe TonyT is who explained it.

robrecc

Great sites Great to read thanks

keeper

If you want security you will have to disable ActiveX, Scripting, Cookies, Domaing crossing, etc. Plus a good Firewall.

Is quite easy to do. But, is a Trade-Off. You won't be able to access much.

Also, if you are using MS IE you will never have REAL security anyway.

I have 1 PC maxed on security ond the other with less so I can access the more invasive sites with Sec Level 'Custom' cookies accepted, unsafe ActiveX off, etc.

Am more concerned with Viruses than giving out data on that PC.
    Most AdWarwe & Spyware just want info to target advertizing to you.

Is all about economics, they just want to SELL you things, so what?

I never give real name, SSN, DL#, Address, Phone or email add, so is not much to learn in my PC. If a site asks me questions, like most people, I Lie about everything.

Use Common Sense and just have fun, don't let the Marketers spoil it for you.

gidget

Smile

Thanks to everyone for their response. You have been most helpful. Thanks JANDOENT for those links; I'm learning alot. Keep up the good work

chacmool

chi,

So you have your TIF files automaticly deleated....¿and you still have 1.82MB left over?

If you are interested in "security", I propose, that with 1.82MB of stuff in your TIF, one is not secure.

In, addition, ¿who wants 1.82 MB of junk? on their computer.

There is a way to get the index.dat down to 32MB

JANDOENT

Here is the way: http://www.speedcorp.net/ubb/Forum9/HTML/000038.html
    A thanks goes to TonyT for this.

chacmool

And the authors of: "Windows 98 Secrets"; Brian Livingston & Davis Straub; IDG Books Worldwide, Inc.

Copyright 1998.

deltree /y history; cookies; tempor~1; locals~1/tempor~1 (in my case); is not that big of a secret.

It has been around, for a couple years.

[This message has been edited by chacmool (edited 12-18-2000).]

jlwggns

holy horse hocky batman!! did a search/find on dat files after cleaning tif couldn't beleave what was still there. so can i just delete the dat files that are there, and not worry about needing them latter? i think i can delete them in the search/find window

fredra

Hey chacmool
    Those are terrific instructions for deleting those pesky critters.......I had forgotten about that line...lol
    Thanks

JANDOENT

Hey jlwggns, you won't delete .dat by clicking delete in any way. look at the posts made before yours on this thread to see how to get rid of them.