Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to remove McAfee- COMPLETLY?

jedcstl

yeah, it is at tweakfiles.com

keeper

Thanks, will give it a try. Anything to get rid of all the traceware this prog left behind.

keeper

jedcstl; Used one called 'Reslendant Registrar'...IDed all the entries and got the McAfee, Network Assoc, etc. out of there.

Now boot screen is clean.

Thanks for the Reg prog idea.

JANDOENT

Originally posted by keeper:
    McAfee is gone. Prob is now that First Aid prog that came with it leaves msg on boot screen C:\cyrerm~1\....not a big prob as with cable modem don't have to reboot much but would like to get rid of it.
    Went thru reg but might have missed something.

Any ideas??
    A reg. cleaner will help make that task easy and an uninstaller (yes, the one from "Network Associates" heheheeh) will get rid of those annoying little things that you can't delete because the program & drivers are gone. I had the same problem with safe & sound. It took a while and after ALL signs of the program is gone (look up in this thread to see the names to look for in find files and folders) you will still find ssome buried in windows and program files.

keeper

Jandolent; Cleared the boot screen...finally. Cleaned the Reg. Am down to an uninstalled prog called 'Uninstaller' [from the McAffee disk] that is referenced and a desktop Icon [McAfee file shredder].

Neither is a prob. Is a matter of Principle now. Has become a Search and Destroy mission.

I think all this 'traceware' is to make people give up and reinstall McAfee and pay the annual fee after one year. Not me.

JANDOENT

Keeper, I'm wit'cha' babe! I don't like Mcafee nor Norton/symantec either. If you can get them out, don't put them back...

keeper

jandolent; After a month of using my spare time getting this mess off 2 PCs, I'm not likely to shoot myself in the foot by putting either of them back on.

The McAfee Office 2000 disk went out to the curb the other day....just to be sure.

Still have 2 desktop Icons to track down.

Hope this thread saves someone else some Grief.

saved

Wink

Keeper,
    I used a regestry cleaner to remove mine. Here is the addy for a free program;
    http://www.vtoy.fi/jv16/index.shtml

------------------
    May the Lord Jesus Christ fill your days with His peace and Joy

[This message has been edited by saved (edited 01-06-2001).]

[This message has been edited by saved (edited 01-06-2001).]

keeper

saved; used regcleaner and others + manual many times on this one. Just isn't there. Or, I don't recognize something.

Almost have my reg memorized.

P.S Welcome to speedguide, Hope you stick around.

keeper

Anyone know how I can get these pesky McAfee ICONS off my Desktop..Had them with Win98, now with ME.

All the above didn't work. Hate to format for 2 silly Icons.

[This message has been edited by keeper (edited 01-08-2001).]

JANDOENT

I suppose that you have tried Right click and delete. Maybe click to highlight then hold shift and drag to recycle?? Maybe if you click them as if you were trying to load them, Windows may tell you it can't find the destination and give you a delete option.

------------------
    Inquiring minds want to know...

[This message has been edited by JANDOENT (edited 01-08-2001).]

BOWTYE8

Hello
    Well I just bought mcafee virus scan and firewall.
    well I did the firewall and and everytime I started the firwall ,after about 1min the DSL modem ouold disconnect and then about another min I get teh famous blue screen with somtihng about VXD files.
    about about 2 days I finally uninstalled the firewall. not shure why the porblems .
    So whats the deal with it??
    Should I install the virusscan?

keeper

Jondolent; Tried those again...no go. Will keep at it until I find a way to lose those Icons off my desktop.
    Thanks for the idea.

keeper

boetye8; look for a file called: Cmapieng.vxd

Is found in McAfee's AV & other progs. Is incompatible with WinME.

Is in 1st Aid, Guard Dog and others. Look at "McAfee & WinME Defrag" Post for more info.

McAfee is a system HOG and doesn't update well, plus have to PAY for updates after 1 yr.

Would suggest InnoculateIT, better & more efficient [freeware]. Is always free updates and will update at least twice per week, if you allow it.

I tossed my McAfee Office 2000 disk into the garbage, wouldn't even give it to someone.

keeper

Am still stuck with 2 McAfee Icons on my desktop. None of the above worked.

Any ideas on how I can get rid of them??

jedcstl

keeper, try opening up explorer and type in c:windows\desktop and enter, it will show you everything that is on your desktop. try to delete it from there. either right click and delete or highlight it and then go to file and hit delete. hope this helps.

keeper

Tried that again. No luck. All desktop items showed-up...Except those two.
    Is two Icons on desktop.

1. McAfee Fortress > SAFE32.EXE
    2. McAfee File Shredder > SHRED32.EXE

Has to be a reference to them somewhere...just can't find it.

Thanks

Advanced Member

Anyone have any ideas on how I can get rid of these desktop Icons??

Cool

Easy way to remove those pesky programs
    Format The Damn Drive !
    There Is only the Here and The Now, If you forget about that You might as well be Dead!

Advanced Member

Really don't want to format HDD just to get rid of 2 Icons. Program is gone.

Just looking for a way to get rid of the 2 Icons [on my desktop] it left behind.