Thread: Different VOIP setup

Different VOIP setup

I posted a thread a while back about how well people liked Vonage but it still had a monthly payment that I wanted to avoid..so I came across this thing called magicjack. I got it for a 30day trial but I'm curious if anyone else has tried it cause so far the few calls I made to it on my cell phone it works pretty damn good although between rooms you can tell it has a slight delay lol but you wouldn't notice that if I wasn't in the other room listening.

Thoughts on this product?

In a dry but moldy New Orleans, Louisiana
    A friend bought one, when I brought up the fact that he would have to leave his PC on 24/7 in order to receive a phone call he began to have second thoughts about letting go of his old phone.

He was trying to reduce his monthly bills and didn’t even think of the added electricity cost of leaving the PC on all the time.
    Sliding down the banister of life ..........................

Quote Originally Posted by RoundEye View Post
    A friend bought one, when I brought up the fact that he would have to leave his PC on 24/7 in order to receive a phone call he began to have second thoughts about letting go of his old phone.

He was trying to reduce his monthly bills and didn’t even think of the added electricity cost of leaving the PC on all the time.
    I leave two of my PC's on 24/7 anyway..I never turn them off cept for a random reboot for updates or something...and maybe a once a month air out for dust. So thats not a issue.

And to be honest the electricity costs really are not that much...the wear and tear of cold starts of the pc would cost me more in the long run on replacing HDD's and whatever. I had one comp running 24/7 cept for those times mentioned above for over 8 years and no big power bills.

Emerald Triangle looking for EA and some trainwreck!
    I would check the magicjack forum at dslreports. Alot of people dont like the fact that it doesnt come with an uninstaller. If I were to get it I would put it on a computer that I never used. I also hear it gives you pop up ads on screen.

On a side note I hear mixed reviews from alot of customers that have them. Mostly bad but some good. YMMV.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/magicjack

Quote Originally Posted by ace View Post
    I would check the magicjack forum at dslreports. Alot of people dont like the fact that it doesnt come with an uninstaller. If I were to get it I would put it on a computer that I never used. I also hear it gives you pop up ads on screen.

On a side note I hear mixed reviews from alot of customers that have them. Mostly bad but some good. YMMV.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/magicjack
    well it doesn't install software..its just a addon so easy to get rid of if your computer savvy. As for popups well if you have the magicjack box up it has a box on the left side for ads but I'm keeping it in taskbar..but I'll monitor for sure so thanks for the info.

My friend had it. Bought it blindly without realizing what he was getting even after I told him that it had bad reviews. He said that the call quality was poor and didn't like that his PC had to always be on (PC is in his bedroom and he shuts it down every night). He switched to Viatalk and it took about 3 months of back and forth hassling for the people at MagicJack to refund his money.
    Have your feelings been hurt by a random act of E-Thuggery? If so, call 1-800-Waaaaahmbulance, we're here 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, to take your call, you could be due a large monetary settlement, don't delay, call now.

"Please be careful prior to entering the world wide web, the internet is serious business"

See the thing is I rarely use my land line... wifes grandmother uses it at least for next few weeks till she moves and a random family member otherwise I use my cell phone for all others and wife has cell phone. The only other use I wanted it for was to maintain a dial tone to Dish Network receiver and for testing dialup connections on computers if I work on any of them with dialup still in use which around here most people still have.

So I think the negatives are not enough for me to not to keep it. I keep my PC on all the time so thats no big issue and the bandwidth I have is more than enough to do a call and game and whatever without missing a beat. If I used it everyday I might think more to it.

Emerald Triangle looking for EA and some trainwreck!
    Well everywhere I have read it installs software. And yes a few registry edits and remove a few folders and its gone. But any good software should have an uninstaller because there are way to many people that can't do that to save their life.

I have free phone through my work and cell phone service also, but if I didn't I would be using cell phones only.

Quote Originally Posted by ace View Post
    Well everywhere I have read it installs software. And yes a few registry edits and remove a few folders and its gone. But any good software should have an uninstaller because there are way to many people that can't do that to save their life.

I have free phone through my work and cell phone service also, but if I didn't I would be using cell phones only.
    Well its just a add on that it loads... but yeah it should have a uninstaller but I don't think I'll worry about that. But for what its worth and what I use it for I think I'll be satisfied with it. I guess I'm the only one on here thats used it or has it

One of my local TV stations just did a review on this. It appears the company has a very bad rating with the BBB.

DIDS

So... 9 months after this thread on MagicJack. Anyone else use it or heard anything about it?

We're thinking about switching, but from what I see online, it's not worth it.

FWIW - I've used Packet8/8x8 for years and have it down to the $9.99/month fax plan which is plenty good for us. I love VoIP, but would LOVE $20/yr.

Quote Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
    So... 9 months after this thread on MagicJack. Anyone else use it or heard anything about it?

We're thinking about switching, but from what I see online, it's not worth it.

FWIW - I've used Packet8/8x8 for years and have it down to the $9.99/month fax plan which is plenty good for us. I love VoIP, but would LOVE $20/yr.

lol i've got another one sitting here (sent old one back and stopped it cause I didn't need it at the time) I got just incase I needed it for setting up a fax and its passed the 30day money back but I'll have to cancel it and try to sell it so if you go with it I'll sell you mine real cheap..I think all you would have to do is call them and have a account setup...not sure exactly.

I'm thinking of ditching my Viatalk account once my plan is up for renewal and getting an Ooma. My friend just ditched his ISP VOIP service for it and he loves it.
    Have your feelings been hurt by a random act of E-Thuggery? If so, call 1-800-Waaaaahmbulance, we're here 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, to take your call, you could be due a large monetary settlement, don't delay, call now.

"Please be careful prior to entering the world wide web, the internet is serious business"