Thread: Need a temp solution to a problem - Network - 2 Switches and a router HELP!

Need a temp solution to a problem - Network - 2 Switches and a router HELP!

So here's the deal. Thanks to all for anybody that can help.

Basically is it possible to get access to the net through a router located behind a switch --- read further Thanks.

I'm temporarily living in a 3rd world country. Needless to say, internet access is terribly slow and difficult to obtain.

When I arrived, I noticed an internet cafe next to our office here that claimed to have the fastest connection in town. Just my luck right?

Well it's not a fiber connection but it's good enough to surf the web comfortably at 600kbps. After finding out that the fastest I could get personally from the local ISP was 256kbps for the same price I thought that I could simply pay the cafe a similar fee for a drop from their router and get the fastest connection.

I did just that and was connected just fine for about 6 months when the guy decided without warning or consulting with me that I was hogging too much of his connection. Now the connection was intermittent at best as is, because he turns it off at night and I have to ask If I can think of it to remember to leave the router plugged in at night.

Regardless, what he *HAD*, was a dedicated IP from his ISP at 600kbps hooked into a Netgear router, which was hooked to a switch that served all his computers, inlcuding mine which was depending on his desire, plugged into either the switch or the router. He himself has very little knowledge of networking and asked for assistance from the ISP tech to come help him out with "the problem" of me I guess.

What he did, was hook me into a separate (2nd) switch along with the main line from the ISP and talked to the ISP to give ME a separate IP thinking that I'm a retard and would not know the difference in speed.

He basically took what I pay him and bought a 2nd IP on a different subnet from the ISP a whopping 64kpbsX64 line which is barely faster than dial-up he used to use for his VOIP service.

Basically that bastard is charging me double what the ISP would now for a service that's 6 times slower than what I would get from the ISP directly.

NOW the setup looks like this:

We have the line from the ISP hooked into a switch

I am plugged into the switch

His router is plugged into the switch (which I have access to ("default pass") when I have my router get the IP automatically or by setting it to something internal.

His switch, is plugged into his router which serves his IP and all his computers.

My goal is to temporarily for at least a few days, gain access through his IP served by the router so that I can do some computing until I get my own line from the ISP. However my general understanding of networking is not quite enough to understand if this is even possible now.

He has turned DHCP off on the router, but I can easily turn that back on or set up an exception.

Here's a diagram of what I'm dealing with. P.S. I also have all his settings for his ISP as I can see and have access to his router.

Thanks a million for your time and suggestions.

Regards

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    It's his router, you should be staying out of it.
    Based on your diagram, since the WAN/Internet port of your router is facing your ISPs bridge...your router will need to have its WAN configured per the ISP..whatever they use, PPPoE, PPPoA, dynamic, MAC registration, etc.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Rummaging through his router, is the last thing that I want to do. All I want is what I paid for and had he been a regular NORMAL and receptive human being we could just have talked about it but clearly by his actions that is not his plan.

About you WAN IP suggestions.

If I set my router to his WAN information, what would I set the IP to as clearly setting it to what HE has would cause IP conflicts NO? Or would the switch crunch though it? I'm not trying to disturb his access. I just want to "share" what he's got as per our agreement. BTW, he is not using PPoe etc. It's appears to be a simple dedicated IP nothing more.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    WAN information means what your ISP has for your account (not his...don't use his IP or setup credentials..that's theft). Based on your diagram, the WAN interface of your router and the WAN interface of his router are both plugged into the same switch, and the ISPs bridge is also plugged into that switch. Your router is outside of his router...you're on his wild side. You will not be able to get to the inside of his network according to your diagram.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

I see what you are saying. If I plug in my credentials as in those new ones he provided me from the ISP for my own personal IP, then yes my internet works at their prescribed dial-up speeds but if you look at the specs, I don't think that I'm being routed the same way.

My IP 202.166.211.xx and gateway 202.166.211.xx subnet 255.255.255.0 are somehow being limited to only 64kbps

His IP appears to be being routed differently his IP 202.79.51.xx and gateway 202.79.51.xx. subnet 255.255.255.224 are not seeing this limitation.

The IPs appear to be on different subnets all together. NO?

I'm not trying to disturb his stuff, but at the same time I'm not paying him what I am to be running at dial-up which I can better with my phone with a bit of configuration LOL. And sadly I have a lot of time left with him and I doubt he is going to be reimbursing me.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by me not being able to access his network as IF I set my router to obtain an IP from him, I get assigned an internal 192.168.0.XX IP from HIS router which I can ping as well as access.

According to your info you should not be able to access anything on the LAN side of his router. If you used his credentials when his router was offline then you could authenticate with his account but as YeOldeStonecat has already said it is against the law. Each of your credentials has access to the ISP at different speeds.

He is either selling you 64k off his 600k or setup an additional account that has 64k and is severely overcharging you. Most ISP's in the US will shut off your internet connection if they find you are sharing/reselling it to with neighbor.

In the end if you are looking for a definite answer on how to do something that is against the law, you will not find that answer on this website/forum. I realize that you only want what you paid for but the owner of this site could possibly be held responsible in some way, if someone were to tell you how to break into his network.
    Will Work For FSB

I think we've already established that I can access his network. So breaking it etc, is not my goal at all. I just need a temp solution to outlive my last payment before I get my own drop from the ISP.

Also I think that you guys are assuming that he has a "modem" however I think that he simply has a drop from the ISP's own switch, router box whatever it may be.

His router, is simply set up with the ISPs provided credentials and when it hits the (his) switch it mirrors (?) his requests to the ISP which serves his bandwidth to him at his 600kbbs.

His switch also serves my routers requests to the ISP with my credentials in the same way as him but on a different subnet, IP, gateway etc.

In the setup I described above, if I simply hit the switch with his router's IP I can get his router's control panel provided that I set my router to DHCP an IP from his router.

I'm assuming, that my router, requests an IP through the switch and his router serves it. Or, am I missing something.

In that case if I can see his router, and his router can see the Inet, so should I no? But I'm missing something very simple.