Thread: GM VOlt supposed to get 230 mpg in city driving...

GM VOlt supposed to get 230 mpg in city driving...

http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssC...51573320090811

* Volt to get 230 mpg based on draft EPA standard

* GM says working on second and third-generation Volt (Adds detail from webcast, financial forecasts, background on GM ownership, byline)

By Kevin Krolicki and Soyoung Kim

DETROIT, Aug 11 (Reuters) - The Chevrolet Volt -- the electric vehicle General Motors Co [GM.UL] is counting on to recharge its image with consumers -- is on track to hit an unprecedented fuel economy rating of 230 miles per gallon in city driving, the automaker said on Tuesday.

GM Chief Executive Fritz Henderson said the Volt would get a "triple-digit" fuel economy rating for combined highway and city driving based on a draft standard developed by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

"The Volt is becoming very real, very fast," Henderson said in an announcement at GM's technical center that was webcast to the public.

The Volt, which will be introduced late next year, is designed to run for 40 miles from a single charge of a lithium-ion battery pack. After the battery is partly depleted, a small combustion engine is designed to kick in to recharge the battery and power the vehicle.

I wonder what the real mileage will be. My buddy has a Prius and he can get in the fifties average in L.A., but around here it averages 42 mpg. It would be cool for it to work. There are a couple others that get great mileage (one of them I have posted in the "unique cars" thread), but have a standard production one will be sweet.

Now they just need to work on the batteries being more "green"
    Last edited by De Plano; 08-11-09 at 01:33 PM.

Well it doesn't look like that pic anymore now.

And the 230 MPG is kind of a joke, as its a balance of the 40 miles you can go without gas then teh 50ish MPG you get when running on gas.

yea I read today that the 230 has yet to be verified. So far its just what GM is claiming.