Thread: Installing Win XP Qs Please

Installing Win XP Qs Please

I'd appreciate some help with this. A few days ago my main HD crashed and seems to have died so I went out and bought a refurbed Dell P4 1.7 Ghz.

I tried to take the slave drive out of old PC [WD 160 GB] and changed the jumper to "Master" but PC said it could not find any drive. Should I set it at "CS select" instead?

I have photos on this slave drive that I want to keep or retrieve. Will I need to format this drive before I can install Win XP Home on it?

If so, can anyone tell me how to retrieve the files before I do? Is there a way?
    I have a Western Digital CD around here somewhere. TIA.

Lurch
    Last edited by Lurch; 08-05-09 at 03:35 PM.

Set it to CS and make sure it's on the end of your ribbon cable. You need to format to install XP so you need to retrieve your files first, to do so put it an external enclosure and connect it to another pc or slave it inside another pc.

Thanks mnosteele52.

It's OK if I "slave it" in my other Dell just to get the files off it, and then take it out, install it in my other Dell, format it, and then install XP on it? This should be interesting. I think it's a good idea to have a spare PC on hand at all times. I'd hate to have to go through internet "withdrawal" like I did Sunday for 6 hours. That was tough. :-)

This "new" Dell seems to go pretty good on broadband but I'm going to use TCIP Optimizer just in case.

I'll reply back to this thread in a while after I've tried to get the files. :-) It should work out OK.
    Last edited by Lurch; 08-05-09 at 04:50 PM.

If you have a new pc just keep your old drive as a 2nd HD in it.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    If you have a new pc just keep your old drive as a 2nd HD in it.
    Hi.

My "new" PC is a 2002 Dell Optiplex GX240. I've had refurbed Dell PCs before that lasted several years. I only paid $75 for it. I think I'm going to put the WD 160 drive into my "new" Dell as the slave and buy a used HD on eBay to put into my other Dell so I'll have a spare PC here.

Are the 7200 RPM HDs better than 5400 RPM? Any brand names you know of that might be good used ones to go for? I'm seeing many Seagate, WD, and Maxtor. I want to get about a 30 GB HD to put in my other Dell and hang onto it for a spare PC. Or, maybe I'll just get it running again and sell it. It's kind of good to have a spare PC, as I'm quite an internet addict, plus I kind of like to work on them and be familiar with installing Win XP, changing HDs, etc.

Check the drive label for jumpers.
    Some drives require a jumper for single, master or cable select, while others use no jumper for those settings.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

Update :

I put the WD 160 HD into my newer Dell after changing the jumper to "slave" but it would not boot with that drive at all, so I presume it's dead. I don't know but I have a hunch both of the drives from my Dell Dimension went out at the same time - the WD 40 GB and WD 160. If I pushed the off/on button too soon after stopping the PC with it, could that have ruined these 2 HDs?

I now have one good HD in the house and it's the one in my newer Dell, a WD 20 GB. I think I'm in the market for at least an HD for the master in the Dimension and a slave drive for this one, like a 40 in the Dimension and a 20 or 30 GB in this one, just big enough to store photos on. Although, with a CD burner I could save images to CD and not really even need a slave much drive at all, but it's probably a good thing to have anyway.

I'm only using 33% of the 20 GB drive as of now. How much % of a HD can you use before it starts to bog down?