Thread: if you had a $12k cash max budget for a (full size) pickup, what would you get?

if you had a $12k cash max budget for a (full size) pickup, what would you get?

a minimalist lifestyle does have its perks. but i gotta be honest, i need a utilitarian vehicle in addition to my traffic ninja. the gsxr is serving me very well, but after over a year and a half of only that, i am dang sick of determining what i can buy at the grocery store by what i can fit in a small duffle bag, and going through that at least two times a week. and thats just the tip of the iceburg.

so anyways, i need a pickup truck. was hoping to put it off till towards the end of the year for a bigger budget. atm i can allot about $12k, before taxes/registration/insurance. ive lightly poked autotrader.com, and theres some stuff there. but, im looking for any additional input.

i dont really care as to domestic or import. id like to be able to put the bike in the truck bed to take it to the shop if need be, hence me looking at full sized pickup. certified used would be ideal. new would be even better, but at 12k dollars id be pushing it. fuel mileage isnt a concern. thats what the bike's for.
    "Today is a black day in the history of mankind."

- Leo Szilard

How much will you drive the truck? 5 days a week? once a week? and what other uses for the truck beside groceries and hauling bike?
    Nutty like squirrel terds!!!

On stike

For 12k you can get a darn nice Ford F150 or GM. Hard to beat in that price range and gonna hold value a heckuva lot better than a Dodge. I know that the Japanese designed some full size trucks too, but it just aint natural!

I have 123k on this baby and it purrs like a kitten.

USMC RETIRED

Steve

Tacoma Guitar Forum

Ya the F150, I think I've seen a coupl 06 models under 50k miles for 12 grandish.

i have a f150 ford for 5 years,2000 year.
    it only has 99,000 miles on a 4.6 engine and i have had no problems.
    i have hauled 2,000 lbs of dirt for about 10 miles,it squatted some in the back but did okay.would not reccomend going much further with this much weight.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    With that budget, I'd consider new...especially since prices on larger vehicles are SLASHED so much, and most dealerships doing a 0% financing.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Either the Ford F150 or the Dodge 1500 (lots of them on sale with the hemi engine)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilog B
    Loading the dishwasher at brembo's house means bringing the fiancee a sixpack home.

Quote Originally Posted by nightowl View Post
    Either the Ford F150 or the Dodge 1500 (lots of them on sale with the hemi engine)
    1500.i drive a dakota now, always had dodge. beat the crap out of them. hardcore. always take a beating. the truck i have now. 97 dokata 3.9 225k, drove it for 2 weeks no oil. still no issues lol. but yea. huge fan of dodge.

dodge 1500. prices are very good due to them filing for BK.
    a.k.a. GSXR 750

cool, thx a bunch guys. i need to look around Consumer Reprts and maybe JD Powers. normally due to my younger years of being a Chevy fanboi, i would have started with something out of the GM family, but from what ive gathered so far in terms of opinions, it looks like Ford or Dodge.

when i narrow it down to two or three specific models ill hit yall up again.

much appreciated, yall!

- Leo Szilard

Let us know what you pick.

Thinking of trading in my '93 Pathfinder for a truck at some point soon.

I think you can pick up a 2000-2005 Silverado (stay away from 1999, and run from anything earlier) in that range that hasn't been abused. I've been in charge of maintenance of a couple of decent size fleets, and Chevy has proven to be slightly more reliable in the long haul than the Fords.

My suggestion is to stay away from Dodge. Engine, tranny and seat problems are the general rule with them. I'm sure some have had good luck, this has just been my experience.
    When they kick at your front door, how you gonna come? With your hands at your head, or the trigger of your gun?

Quote Originally Posted by WhoNut View Post
    I think you can pick up a 2000-2005 Silverado (stay away from 1999, and run from anything earlier) in that range that hasn't been abused. I've been in charge of maintenance of a couple of decent size fleets, and Chevy has proven to be slightly more reliable in the long haul than the Fords.

My suggestion is to stay away from Dodge. Engine, tranny and seat problems are the general rule with them. I'm sure some have had good luck, this has just been my experience.

golden advice there, friend! the one thing Dodge has going for it at the moment is the pricing. when on a tight budget, it can pull a lot of weight in the decision making process. fairly soon ill move on to the test drive portion. as fun as it sounds (and im sure all of yall can relate), buying a new car is unbelievably stressful and unpleasant unless money is no object (one day maybe, but not this day ).

- Leo Szilard

Toyota Tundra!

I would def stay away from Dodge. I worked there years ago and I just saw trucks with broken diffs/transmissions.

My~Rig
    |Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Toledo 2.0GHz @ 2.5Ghz||ASROCK 939Dual-SATA2||OCZ Platinum 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC3200|ZALMAN 120MM CNPS7700-CU|
    |ATI XT 1600 PRO|CSB SB0570 Audigy SE 7.1||WD SE16 SATA 320GB HD|Hitachi SATA 160GB HD|Thermaltake TR2 W0070 ATX 430W Power Supply |WIN 7 Ultimate| (College Budget)