Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do we work too much and play too little?

Work is part of life, the trick is you have to find something you absolutely love to do. When you have your five hours to yourself it wont seem like you are clinging onto them, dreading to go back to work..

Blog Entries
    “If you want creative workers, give them enough time to play.” John Cleese

Hell_Yes

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity - Seneca

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Consider yourself lucky if you have 5 hours a day to yourself. I work way too much and only have about 8 hours on Sat and all day Sunday to myself. Mon-Fri I have zero hours to myself.
    I work 88 hours a week every week. Been doing this for about 6 years now with about 5 more to go.
    Yes I love both of My jobs so I don't mind it. I never complain but sometimes My mind wonders and I wish I didn't work so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow View Post
    Consider yourself lucky if you have 5 hours a day to yourself. I work way too much and only have about 8 hours on Sat and all day Sunday to myself. Mon-Fri I have zero hours to myself.
    I work 88 hours a week every week. Been doing this for about 6 years now with about 5 more to go.
    Yes I love both of My jobs so I don't mind it. I never complain but sometimes My mind wonders and I wish I didn't work so much.
    "Consider yourself lucky"

I do consider myself lucky, in that respects. But I sacrifice wealth for that time, I could be working a 2nd job. But even so, if I am lucky with 5 hours, is that not a bit of a depressing thought?
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

no. no, No. NO, NO... NO! stevebakh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    What good is working hard when you can't enjoy the fruits of your labor and that's the family you support, the home and stuff you pay for.
    Yup... I think that's exactly what Jeremy is saying.

If you take a step back and analyze how your time is spent, it's bizarre. We only spend so much time working (usually making other people more wealthy), purely because we need to, because of the workings of society. I don't think there are many who would work the long hours they do, if they didn't need to, and that's the point.

Oh well, c'est la vie, as they say.

Jeremy, if you can get some pleasure and happiness from taking a course that doesn't financially benefit you, then go for it. Provided you won't land up homeless, do it. We all need to do something more than sleep, work, eat, piss and poo.

I'm fortunate enough to work for myself, so my time is mine to dole out as I see fit. But often, it feels like too much, but then a lull will come to give some relief. One thing I've noticed, with friends etc., is they spend so much of their time commuting. I can't understand the need to live an hour or more from your office, and be willing to waste 10+ hrs/wk driving. Doesn't make you any money while driving; wear & tear on your cars; expense; and a lot of time away from home. I see people around us living an hour away in some obscure rural town, where they can buy some grand estate to live in that they couldn't afford closer to their work. That seems like a twisted priority to me- the house becomes more important to you than your time, and time with your family. Just don't get that one.

And I'm not talking about some of the urban areas (LA; NYC; Boston) that are just ridiculously expensive- I mean in our area where a suburban home is affordable, although not as large as the palace you can afford is East Bumf**k. And then, drive your 4WD 12mpg P/U the 60 miles to work, and complain about the cost of gas!
    Observe everything...focus on nothing..

I've spent more than my fair share of time ruminating about work/jobs as a 'trapping' of society. After dozens of books about philosophy/theology in my quest to point myself in a direction to attain self actualization I haven't found an answer. The best you can do is go with the flow and use everything you have, G-d given or otherwise, to make the best of your situation.

It is an unfortunate reality that the systems of control will not change to make each of us happy. It's as though we all throw in our color (desires) and are left with a huge ****** brown mess. You just need to become aware of how things truly work, so you can avoid the trappings.

If you need some grounding, think of your situation relative to one of the millions of starving, depressed, war inundated, overworked, poor souls that are on the other end of this tango of equilibrium. This is a good starting point: http://www.amnesty.org/en/human-rights

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I've spent more than my fair share of time ruminating about work/jobs as a 'trapping' of society. After dozens of books about philosophy/theology in my quest to point myself in a direction to attain self actualization I haven't found an answer. The best you can do is go with the flow and use everything you have, G-d given or otherwise, to make the best of your situation.

It is an unfortunate reality that the systems of control will not change to make each of us happy. It's as though we all throw in our color (desires) and are left with a huge ****** brown mess. You just need to become aware of how things truly work, so you can avoid the trappings.

If you need some grounding, think of your situation relative to one of the millions of starving, depressed, war inundated, overworked, poor souls that are on the other end of this tango of equilibrium. This is a good starting point: http://www.amnesty.org/en/human-rights

What are you good at John/Jeremy?

...formerly the omnipotent UOD

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by twwabw View Post
    I'm fortunate enough to work for myself, so my time is mine to dole out as I see fit. But often, it feels like too much, but then a lull will come to give some relief. One thing I've noticed, with friends etc., is they spend so much of their time commuting. I can't understand the need to live an hour or more from your office, and be willing to waste 10+ hrs/wk driving. Doesn't make you any money while driving; wear & tear on your cars; expense; and a lot of time away from home. I see people around us living an hour away in some obscure rural town, where they can buy some grand estate to live in that they couldn't afford closer to their work. That seems like a twisted priority to me- the house becomes more important to you than your time, and time with your family. Just don't get that one.

And I'm not talking about some of the urban areas (LA; NYC; Boston) that are just ridiculously expensive- I mean in our area where a suburban home is affordable, although not as large as the palace you can afford is East Bumf**k. And then, drive your 4WD 12mpg P/U the 60 miles to work, and complain about the cost of gas!
    Amen. I could never get into the long commute. I mean yes you and I have the occasional longer trip to a clients or something..but that's not every day or every week or even every month. Most of my clients around within 30 minutes.

But a daily haul to the 9-5 cubicle governed by the timeclock...yuck!
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!