Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do we work too much and play too little?

Do we work too much and play too little?

I go to bed at 2 am, get up at 9 am and get home, from work, around 9:30 pm. That leaves around 5 & 1/2 hours of the day that are mine.

Why? So I can live in a cheap apartment, living from paycheck to paycheck. I devote the majority of my life to work but yet I make no progress. I almost just want to say screw it and go live out in the woods.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyboycool View Post
    I almost just want to say screw it and go live out in the woods.
    There is plenty of room for the both of us!
    People will forget what you said... and people will forget what you did... but people will never forget how you made them feel.

I go to bed at 2 am, get up at 9 am and get home, from work, around 9:30 pm. That leaves around 5 & 1/2 hours of the day that are mine.

Why? So I can live in a cheap apartment, living from paycheck to paycheck. I devote the majority of my life to work but yet I make no progress. I almost just want to say screw it and go live out in the woods.
    learn a trade, stop spending money on stupid shizit, save money, put it in a bank account, win.

i don't know what your means of income are, but i bet you can stop the loss of those funds by doing a budget and writing things down.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    learn a trade, stop spending money on stupid shizit, save money, put it in a bank account, win.

i don't know what your means of income are, but i bet you can stop the loss of those funds by doing a budget and writing things down.

Mark, I do understand these things. It just seems, to me, things are going up in price but my pay stays the same. This year, I am spending about 100$ more, per month, on cost of living and making a dollar less per hour. As far as a trade; I want to devote my life to my interests, not to making money.
    Last edited by jeremyboycool; 07-24-09 at 11:57 PM.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

The stupid thing is, I plan on taking classes but not for anything that will make me money.

Quote Originally Posted by MadDoctor View Post
    There is plenty of room for the both of us!
    Montana; If I ever really did, I would disappear into the wilderness of Montana. Probably die in the winter but then dead men don't have to work.

The stupid thing is, I plan on taking classes but not for anything that will make me money.
    then why take then ?

Mark, I do understand these things. It just seems, to me, things are going up in price but my pay stays the same. This year, I am spending about 100$ more, per month, on cost of living and making a dollar less per hour. As far as a trade; I want to devote my life to my interests, not to making money.
    okay then, get used to a life of poverty.

survey says yes
    a.k.a. GSXR 750

then why take then ?
    Because, I want to become better at it.

okay then, get used to a life of poverty.

I have no problem being poor. It's time I want not money. If I spend all my time making money then what is the point?

404 Sanity Not Found PsykoPenguin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    and unfortunately, time is money friend.
    "I'm like a lion on the prowl after prey"

I have no problem being poor. It's time I want not money. If I spend all my time making money then what is the point?
    great way to stretch on a thread without giving specifics, but if you only make a living wage, then how do you think you can expect to get more out of life, and don't say that Obama is gonna do it for ya LOL

great way to stretch on a thread without giving specifics, but if you only make a living wage, then how do you think you can expect to get more out of life, and don't say that Obama is gonna do it for ya LOL
    I am not giving you any specifics on my life, Mark. That is not something I am posting in a public forum.

"then how do you think you can expect to get more out of life"

I would say taking those classes is a good step. They may not get me money but they will give me more out of life.

I really was thinking in a broader sense, though, and only using myself as an example. Really, my life is not that uncommon; in terms of money and job. It seems like people work more then they live. Socrates said, “The unexamined life is not worth living.” Meaning that life should be worth the effort put into it. So how does the life of the modern man/woman measure up? Is it worth effort?

Quote Originally Posted by penguincomrade View Post
    and unfortunately, time is money friend.
    That is my point. The question is: are we getting a fair deal for our time?

That is my point. The question is: are we getting a fair deal for our time?
    well i guess you may never know, seeing as how you you don't care about money

well i guess you may never know, seeing as how you you don't care about money
    It's not that I don't care, I really don't have much of a choice but to care. But regardless, that does not mean I don't understand it or recognize its value.

I honestly think it should be some laws about required amount of work lower than what it is now which is 12hrs but even then I was known to work around 14.

I truly think it should be 9hours max that any employer can force you to work no matter what it is. What good is working hard when you can't enjoy the fruits of your labor and that's the family you support, the home and stuff you pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    What good is working hard when you can't enjoy the fruits of your labor and that's the family you support, the home and stuff you pay for.
    What he said
    People will forget what you said... and people will forget what you did... but people will never forget how you made them feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    I honestly think it should be some laws about required amount of work lower than what it is now which is 12hrs but even then I was known to work around 14.

I truly think it should be 9hours max that any employer can force you to work no matter what it is. What good is working hard when you can't enjoy the fruits of your labor and that's the family you support, the home and stuff you pay for.
    Less. I can't stand to work 8 hours anymore.