Thread: Remove the shell from PCIe power connector.

Remove the shell from PCIe power connector.

Any body know how to get the pins out of a PCIe power supply power connector. I have a VisionTek Radeon HD 2600 XT AGP video card that has a six pin power plug that is almost identical to a PCIe power plug. The pin out is the same as far as +12v and grounds go but they changed the shell on one pin so a PCIe plug will not fit on the card. You have to use the plug/adapter that comes with the card. One pin that should have a square shell around it is horseshoe shaped. Two of the corners are rounded off. I would like to swap the two shells around so I can use the PCIe power cord on my power supply. I just can't figure out how to remove the pins without damaging the plug.
    I don't know the same things you don't know.

not sure if im visualizing this correctly, but if the connector in question is on the PSU side of the connection, i would just clip the whole connector off at the wires (3" leaders on all wires), scavenge another connector from somewhere (also with wire leaders) and solder it on in the wiring order i am after. some of those connectors are machine press-fitted in a way that makes it impossible to try and remove contacts without destroying the whole connector. much easier to just cut and resolder.
    "Today is a black day in the history of mankind."

- Leo Szilard

Yes it is the shell on the power supply PCIe power cord I want to remove, and replace with the shell from the cable that came with the video card. I could cut and splice the two, thats not a problem for me. I'm just not fussy for doing that quite yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    i would just clip the whole connector off at the wires (3" leaders on all wires), scavenge another connector from somewhere (also with wire leaders) and solder it on in the wiring order i am after. some of those connectors are machine press-fitted in a way that makes it impossible to try and remove contacts without destroying the whole connector. much easier to just cut and resolder.

but some connectors have a small slit in them that the pn sticks into. just press it in and pull the wire and connector out. if not. cut, and solder/crimp

The ones with the slit in them, USB headers, power and reset switch etc, are easy to get apart. The molex power plugs are easy too once you know where the tabs that hold the pins in are. I've solved my problem, I made the power supply plug fit the card. I took and old jewelers screw driver and filed the tip so it was sharp. Then I carefully skimmed/cut the plastic on the shell around that one pin so it was horseshoe shaped and not square. It's a little bit of a tight fit but it went on.