Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do I want this Casio G Shock?

Why do I want this Casio G Shock?

I've had a few nice watches over the years to include Eco Drives, Swiss Army & a few others. Best maybe $250 or so, but they all kept great time and functioned well. One thing I've never had in 48 years is a digital watch. They never appealed to me as I guess I am just an analog guy. Now for some reason I find myself wanting a classic 80's style G Shock. This is the retro styling with the addition of modern solar power and atomic time keeping. I remember these things taking a slap shot on commercials and being no worse for the wear! There are so many to choose from but I want the cheesy classic. Am I nuts?

USMC RETIRED

Steve

Tacoma Guitar Forum

Blog Entries
    Yes

I guess I'm an analog guy when it comes to watches, I just wouldn't be caught wearing that thing ever since middle school.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    Yes

I guess I'm an analog guy when it comes to watches, I just wouldn't be caught wearing that thing ever since middle school.
    Yet look at your avatar!
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces people into thinking they can't lose. -Bill Gates

Blog Entries
    I did, that's why I specified "when it comes to watches"

I had a G-shock some years ago and one thing I can tell you is that they will take a beating. I was using my in the pool and out in a warehouse where it was getting banged up against everything and it just kept on running.

Yeah I know it reeks of 1983, but at my age, I could care less! They have some really nice "modern" looking versions, but in the end it's still a Casio so I am looking at basics.
    USMC RETIRED

Steve

Tacoma Guitar Forum

I have a couple nice watches,but I never wear them,I use my phone for time & calendar
    Last edited by Dan; 07-12-09 at 10:57 AM.

Great watch....I have one that is 18 years old.
    Nutty like squirrel terds!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Leatherneck View Post
    I could care less!
    Couldn't care less

When I have a digital watch I end up using the features like timer and stopwatch a lot and being glad I have them. When I don't have a watch or am wearing an analogue I don't miss the features. Eh.

Haven't worn it in a few months but I'm partial to my Casio Forester, has an analogue dial and small digital display. Like trini's mom, it goes both ways.
    Last edited by Humboldt; 07-12-09 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    Couldn't care less
    I guess if a lot of people outright made fun of it, I could care less.
    USMC RETIRED

Steve

Tacoma Guitar Forum

I was the same as Humboldt. I loved the alarm features, the countdown timers and things like that. I was using mine several years ago when I was swimming alot and it really came in handy.

no. no, No. NO, NO... NO! stevebakh's Avatar
    Personally, I prefer mechanical watches. Digital watches usually feel cheap and nasty and I don't really need atomic accuracy on a day-to-day basis. I suppose, more than anything, I just prefer the way mechanical watches look. I like looking at hands, rather than a digital display.

My previous watch was a cheap Kinetic mechanical one that constantly charged itself durnig my natural movement. I loved that thing, but I was bought a lovely wind-up watch, that self-winds too, using a similar technique to the kinetic watches. Recommended!

Quote Originally Posted by stevebakh View Post
    Personally, I prefer mechanical watches. Digital watches usually feel cheap and nasty and I don't really need atomic accuracy on a day-to-day basis. I suppose, more than anything, I just prefer the way mechanical watches look. I like looking at hands, rather than a digital display.

My previous watch was a cheap Kinetic mechanical one that constantly charged itself durnig my natural movement. I loved that thing, but I was bought a lovely wind-up watch, that self-winds too, using a similar technique to the kinetic watches. Recommended!
    I have always wore and preferred analog watches, but I think I'll try one of these for a while. I was reading some posts in a forum about some folks who can barely tell time with a digital watch! Doesn't seem possible, but they were saying that without the hands they can't visualize time at all - weird, but I can understand.
    USMC RETIRED

Steve

Tacoma Guitar Forum

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Haven't worn a watch since high school.
    Cell phone with me
    or in front of a computer
    or in the car (dashboard)
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

In a dry but moldy New Orleans, Louisiana
    This might be the appropriate thread to ask since there seems to be a few mechanical watch affectionatos (spelling?) here.

Im looking for a decent watch to wear when I go out. I dont wear a watch at other times. One without a normal face of sorts, Id like to see the gears spinning and the winding mechanism if possible. Anybody know of a brand or some examples I could ask Santa for?

Sliding down the banister of life ..........................

Quote Originally Posted by Leatherneck View Post
    ... They never appealed to me as I guess I am just an analog guy...

Its easier for old guys to tell time on, better get it before the Alzheimers kicks in the rest of the way.

(just playing around man, truth be told, youre probably in MUCH better shape then I am.)

Quote Originally Posted by RoundEye View Post
    This might be the appropriate thread to ask since there seems to be a few mechanical watch affectionatos (spelling?) here.

Im looking for a decent watch to wear when I go out. I dont wear a watch at other times. One without a normal face of sorts, Id like to see the gears spinning and the winding mechanism if possible. Anybody know of a brand or some examples I could ask Santa for?

If you don't want to spend an arm & a leg yet get decent quality, Fossil makes some classy watches.

USMC RETIRED

Steve

Tacoma Guitar Forum

Yeah, that top watch is along the lines of what Im looking for thanks.

.and not spending a fortune is one of the goals too

Looking for an old school digital?

Check out this retro styled Fossil.

id wear a G-Shock, no problem. i am with most of yall when it comes to an affinity to mechancial precision vs. pcb's.

if i were to invest in a watch or spend on a watch that only i would be able to appreciate until someone took a close look, it would be an Accutron. inferior to a quartz movement in terms of accuracy, but has a cool factor of its own.

cant remember the name, but there was a LED watch from the early '70's/late '60's i'd also wear for the same reason. i dont want to say it was the original digital watch, but it sure was iconic.

but back to my preference.... i am a practical guy. functionality goes a long way in my book. the newer watches with solar power and time server sync are the bees ankles. able to power themselves and be accurate theoretically forever. talk about something you can deploy and forget about, yet still be able to rely on the data its giving you.

if i won the lotto and had nothing better to do than spend $250k on a timepiece, it would be on an old elaborate Tiffany pocket watch. or one of those old super pocket watches in the $million range
    Last edited by Faust; 07-13-09 at 01:21 AM.
    "Today is a black day in the history of mankind."

- Leo Szilard