Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I believe you attract what you fear

I believe you attract what you fear

My boss is annoyed with me because I did not want to read this email she got from Washington regarding the swine flu. I am a firm believer if you believe you are going to get sick with it you will. I don't even believe in a "season" for a disease. I feel that is so dam ridiculous!!!!! If you believe it, you will become victim to it. Maybe I'm just being stubborn. I just cannot help the way I feel about this.

Fellow Americans,

This spring we were confronted with an outbreak of a troubling flu virus called 2009-H1N1. As the fall flu season approaches, it is critical that we reinvigorate our preparedness efforts across the country in order to mitigate the effects of this virus on our communities.

Today, we are holding an H1N1 Influenza Preparedness Summit in conjunction with the White House to discuss our Nation's preparedness. We are working together to monitor the spread of 2009-H1N1 and to prepare to initiate a voluntary fall vaccination program against the 2009-H1N1 flu virus, assuming we have a safe vaccine and do not see changes in the virus that would render the vaccine ineffective.

But the most critical steps to mitigating the effects of 2009-H1N1 won't take place in Washington — they will take place in your homes, schools and community businesses.

Taking precautions for this fall's flu season is a responsibility we all share. Visit Flu.gov to make sure you are ready and learn how you can help promote public awareness.

We are making every effort to have a safe and effective vaccine available for distribution as soon as possible, but our current estimate is that it won't be ready before mid-October. This makes individual prevention even more critical. Wash your hands regularly. Take the necessary precautions to stay healthy and if you do get sick, stay home from work or school.

We are doing everything possible to prepare for the fall flu season and encourage all Americans to do the same — this is a shared responsibility and now is the time to prepare. Please visit Flu.gov to learn what steps you can take to prepare and do your part to mitigate the effects of H1N1.
    This email came from John O. Brennan at the White House

Death is imminent

Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post
    Death is imminent

To disagree is an ability.
    However, always look and observe what's there prior to disagreeing.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

In a dry but moldy New Orleans, Louisiana
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie View Post
    ... I am a firm believer if you believe you are going to get sick with it you will...

So is the opposite true? If Iím a firm believer that I wonít catch it, will I stay healthy?
    Sliding down the banister of life ..........................

I think the seasons can make sense. If some diseases live/grow/move around better in certain conditions then it would fit that people get sick more during those times.

Debbie Debbie Debbie...damn

You were spelling it right for months, what happened?

A co-worker is currently in a coma with the virus. His workcenter has been put off limits.

...formerly the omnipotent UOD

Quote Originally Posted by JawZ View Post
    A co-worker is currently in a coma with the virus. His workcenter has been put off limits.

That sounds really rough. Any clue how he contracted it? Just randomly, another coworker went to Mexico, from an international fight? I’m curious if they have any clue how it was contacted in his case.

no. no, No. NO, NO... NO! stevebakh's Avatar
    Debbie, there's a good reason that there's reference made to a "season". I thought this was common knowledge. Guess not...

Please see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flu_season

Flu season is a regularly re-occurring time period characterized by the prevalence of outbreaks of influenza. The season occurs during the cold half of the year in each hemisphere. Influenza activity can sometimes be predicted and even tracked geographically. While the beginning of major flu activity in each season varies by location, in any specific location these minor epidemics usually take about 3 weeks to peak and another 3 weeks to significantly diminish. Individual cases of the flu however, usually only last a few days.
    Also note (on the same page): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flu_sea...e_of_influenza

It is ignorant and (as you rightly pointed out) stubborn to think that believing in a seasonal outbreak is likely to make you fall victim to it. Knowing the facts helps people to be better prepared, ensure there are anti-viral stocks for the population and generally, the knowledge alone is a good thing - why would you want to be willfully ignorant of the facts?

Anyway, in summary, it's not as ridiculous as you claim.

Quote Originally Posted by stevebakh View Post
    Debbie, there's a good reason that there's reference made to a "season". I thought this was common knowledge. Guess not...

Please see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flu_season

Also note (on the same page): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flu_sea...e_of_influenza

It is ignorant and (as you rightly pointed out) stubborn to think that believing in a seasonal outbreak is likely to make you fall victim to it. Knowing the facts helps people to be better prepared, ensure there are anti-viral stocks for the population and generally, the knowledge alone is a good thing - why would you want to be willfully ignorant of the facts?

Anyway, in summary, it's not as ridiculous as you claim.
    I understand what you posted Steve, but I hear people all the time talking about "flu season." As soon as somone gets the damn sniffles during that "season," right away they say "I might be getting the flu" and I find it so annoying. Those are the people who end up getting sick. When you mentally project an outcome, it WILL happen. That is what I am talking about.

I understand what you posted Steve, but I hear people all the time talking about "flu season." As soon as somone gets the damn sniffles during that "season," right away they say "I might be getting the flu" and I find it so annoying. Those are the people who end up getting sick. When you mentally project an outcome, it WILL happen. That is what I am talking about.
    Its winning lotto season, I can feel it!

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    Its winning lotto season, I can feel it!

That is what you said, Debbie.

"When you mentally project an outcome, it WILL happen. That is what I am talking about. " - Debbie

This is not true & we all know that. I agree that there may be some psychological factors, but the simple will of does not produce the actuality of.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

So when **** happens in your life, are you the type of person that looks to place blame outside of yourself instead of taking full responsibility for how you think and what you project?

We can go on an on with this subject. I am a firm believer that we are and experience what we project. The more focus on the negative, the more negative our experience will be.

So, you can disagree all you want. It is what it is.

The end.

So when **** happens in your life, are you the type of person that looks to place blame outside of yourself instead of taking full responsibility for how you think and what you project?

We can go on an on with this subject. I am a firm believer that we are and experience what we project. The more focus on the negative, the more negative our experience will be.

So, you can disagree all you want. It is what it is.

The end.
    You need to re-read my post, Debbie.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

It’s hard to argue a point with a woman who has her mind so firmly made up, but I’m curious about the answer to this.

In my opinion I’ve been a pretty open minded person and not one to worry much about what could happen, “if and when”. So how would one explain my contacting MS? I knew it was a nasty disease but never have given it a second thought.

On top of that (and I have written about this before) I've had some major trauma, I’ve had five major orthopedic surgeries, 18 pieces of surgical metal put into me and 10 taken out. Let’s not forget about the bone graft in my neck either.

So how does one explain all the negative things that have happened to me? I’m not that negative of a person. Sure lately I have been going through some emotional turmoil but I think that can be explained away because of the MS.

Please tell me, what I am doing wrong? I don’t think I’m near that negative of a person. I’m not criminal either, I haven’t murdered, mugged old ladies or molested young children. So what have I done to deserve all this negativity in my life? I don’t think about it happening to me, like I mentioned, I’m not a criminal either, so what happened?

All things considered, I think I’m a fairly positive person. There are many people who would be swinging by their necks if they had been through a fraction of what I have endured.

Last edited by RoundEye; 07-10-09 at 04:13 PM. Reason: …writing in Typonese not English

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyboycool View Post
    That is what you said, Debbie.

"When you mentally project an outcome, it WILL happen. That is what I am talking about. " - Debbie

This is not true & we all know that. I agree that there may be some psychological factors, but the simple will of does not produce the actuality of.

Jeremy, there is some merit to what she is postulating. How can you explain the placebo effect?

...formerly the omnipotent UOD

Quote Originally Posted by JawZ View Post
    Jeremy, there is some merit to what she is postulating. How can you explain the placebo effect?
    You also need to re-read my post.