Thread: Time Warner Cable - Wifi Router

Time Warner Cable - Wifi Router

Hello,

I recently upgraded my old 128 kb dsl from sbc yahoo to time warner cable (i had a bad experience with at&t u-verse services)

unfortunately, only at&t and time warner serve my area.

anyways, the technician came and installed the cable and everything to my desktop PC. however, i have two laptops at home and i am having quite the headache when trying to set up my wireless network.

(the sbc yahoo dsl worked fine with a few ip config tweaks provided by at&t customer service)

I have done everything from power flushes to resetting the router.

the brand of the router is: linksys cisco - Wireless-G Broadband Router // model: WRT54G2

what can i do to set up wifi in my house?

here is a image of my Ip config logs / network settings.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Your computer is obtaining a public IP address, so I'm guessing the IPCONFIG you posted...your computer is plugged in directly to the modem, and not your WRT54 router.

If you are plugged into the router...someone must have configured it to run as an access point..and not a router, so DHCP is disabled and it's passing on the 1 IP address that TW gives you...thus additional computers not being able to log in.

*Power off your cable modem....let it stay powered off for several minutes.
    *Give your wrt54 a hard factory reset...hold down that reset button for like 10 seconds while it's powered up..should see the lights flash in a pattern when it resets.
    *Power cycle router.
    *Uplink routers WAN/Internet port to your TW cable modems ethernet port
    *Power up cable modem...allow it a minute or so to synch up
    *Power cycle router..give it a minute to obtain a public IP on the WAN interface
    *With your PC plugged into one of the routers 4 LAN ports...reboot your computer so it gets all new IP information. Your computer should now pickup a 192.168.1.100 address...the default first one the Linksys should hand out. And your computer should be able to surf the internet. Run an IPCONFIG on your computer....if it's a 192.168.1.100 address....your router successfully reset. If your computer still has some 76.175.xxx.xxx address or something like that...the router didn't successfully reset. Post here if it's successful or not.

Unless you're using firewire for something like sharing your internet, you shouldn't need that bridge...can be removed and your can right click 'n disable the 1394 adapter.

Following your Linksys wrt54 manual...log into the Linksys web admin at 192.168.1.1 default user/pass is admin/admin (or <blank>/admin if you have an older version) go and change your SSID to something custom, go enable WPA or WPA2 security...create a passkey....save settings, go and change the routers default admin password...write that down.

Should be able to connect your other wireless gear using the new SSID and passkey you created.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    *With your PC plugged into one of the routers 4 LAN ports...reboot your computer so it gets all new IP information. Your computer should now pickup a 192.168.1.100 address...the default first one the Linksys should hand out. And your computer should be able to surf the internet. Run an IPCONFIG on your computer....if it's a 192.168.1.100 address....your router successfully reset. If your computer still has some 76.175.xxx.xxx address or something like that...the router didn't successfully reset. Post here if it's successful or not.
    Before i went to sleep last night, i did a power flush and left it that way (and a hard reset for good measure)

plugged in the cables and the IP came out how it was supposed to.
    however, I still could not surf nor go onto 192.168.1.1

im back plugged into my ethernet (desktop) and nothings plugged in the router. heres a image of after i went to my ethernet connection

also called Time warner, "tech support" said to call cisco... and make sure all the plugs are plugged in

Do you have the voice package with TW? IP telephone with them? What make/model modem?
    Guinness for Strength!!!

I just have cable TV and Internet

my phone service is AT&T
    (i still have u-verse till they switch back to a land line... which is today also)

Hmmm...
    What make/model cable modem?

2x more things to try. Run through the setup again as mentioned above....putting your router in between your modem and your computer.
    Now log

oh....wait....you posted that your IP address is
    192.168.100.10?

That's odd...your router is not fully "resetting". That's not defaults.

Try this....set your router back up between your modem and computer...pretty much just like those above steps. Run an IPCONFIG /ALL again....if your computer gets an IP of 192.168.100.10 again....log into 192.168.100.1
    which is the gateway, and the LAN IP of your router with that particular setup.

Odd...as by default Linksys routers are 192.168.1.xxx....not the 192.168.100.xxx which yours is showing.

See if you can log into the web admin now?
    Guinness for Strength!!!

this is actually for my parents home configuration and im caught in the midst of it.

i ended up calling time warner to have a "technician" come and install it for my parents.. but for the time being i'll try you're directions

i am just frustrated at the fact that a cable company is doing this which is causing me a big headache dealing with parents who are not knowledgeable about technology

cable modem is: U10C018

will report back after i run the config and the ip again.

it maybe cause the ip does indeed show 192.168.100.1 while i was tryign to log into 192.168.1.1

however, the strange part is... after i do a reset it will let me log in with admin / admin and i can fiddle with the settings but surfing on my desktop will die out after a few seconds

edit: i havent gone back to the router yet... but would i have to configure MAC settings or anything of that sort? (cloning wise)

i was on the linksys support site for cable set ups and they had a step where MAC settings for the pc were cloned and refreshed

btw, i do appreciate the responses... alot better than any so called "tech support" i've had :0
    Last edited by psmko; 06-19-09 at 03:37 PM.

If you can log into the web admin, try to find factory default settings..there's a button for that, and do so.

Maybe TWs modem is being slow to forget the MAC of your PC and learn the MAC of the router...so yeah you can try MAC cloning..enter the MAC address of your PCs NIC into the MAC spoofing part found in the web admin.
    Your MAC shows in the IPCONFIG screenie....
    02-11-11-01-8c-f8
    Guinness for Strength!!!