Thread: DirecTV and a phone line

Question DirecTV and a phone line

We have always kept our home line for DirecTV purposes only. We were told that it was necessary for pay per view reasons. We actually tested that theory this weekend and were able to order a PPV movie without having a phone line connected to our 3 DVR's. Is there any reason you guys can think of that a line would be necessary?

TIA

if its a single receiver you may not need it..but I know on mine since its a dual receiver it was required or a internet connection hooked to it (ethernet) in order for it to get its updates and tell a system that Dish has not to charge me a extra 5$/month when it see's two receivers vs 1.

I had Directv for a year with no phone line, 3 sat boxes and no issues. Order pay-per-view with your pc, if you like. There was a time (don't know if it's still the case) when the phone was used to upload ppv information to them for billing purposes.
    When they kick at your front door, how you gonna come? With your hands at your head, or the trigger of your gun?

Ok thanks for the info guys. DirecTV keeps pushing a phone line which frankly I do not understand.

I have mine hooked up via ethernet with no problems.
    Have your feelings been hurt by a random act of E-Thuggery? If so, call 1-800-Waaaaahmbulance, we're here 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, to take your call, you could be due a large monetary settlement, don't delay, call now.

"Please be careful prior to entering the world wide web, the internet is serious business"

I was told from the DirecTV installer that you need the phone line or an internet connection to order PPV from the remote.

Stupidity is also a gift of God, but one mustn't misuse it. - JP II

Weird that I could get Gran Torino through PPV without a connection of any kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post
    Weird that I could get Gran Torino through PPV without a connection of any kind.
    I was told that you needed the broadband connection kit to use the website to set your DVR but that is also not correct. The only difference that I saw was that the ondemand functions work.

Quote Originally Posted by tao_jones View Post
    I was told that you needed the broadband connection kit to use the website to set your DVR but that is also not correct. The only difference that I saw was that the ondemand functions work.
    Definitely odd because I didn't have a phone line or an ethernet connection plugged into the DVR we ordered and watched Gran Torino from.

I have all my DirecTivo's hacked (added to home network) so I don't need to have a phone line. I have never had an issue with ordering PPV. I use to order UFC's all the time from the DirecTv website without issue. You only need the phone line to trigger the updates that are pushed down from the Satellite. Although things could be different with the newer units and software updates. I have the 3 Hughes HDRV2 recievers locked at the 6.2A software level.

DIDS

Quote Originally Posted by DIDS View Post
    . You only need the phone line to trigger the updates that are pushed down from the Satellite. Although things could be different with the newer units and software updates.
    I think they can use the broadband or telephone lines now to update.

A+, Security+, Mobility+ Shinobi's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by roody View Post
    we have always kept our home line for directv purposes only. We were told that it was necessary for pay per view reasons. We actually tested that theory this weekend and were able to order a ppv movie without having a phone line connected to our 3 dvr's. Is there any reason you guys can think of that a line would be necessary?

Tia

adsl ?

Uninsured for your health
    its for billing purposes, you can order all you want without a honeline, but once it's connected and dials home...get ready for a HUGE bill
    Quote Originally Posted by Three Rivers Designs
    America! Love it or give it back!

Blog Entries
    Holy thread resurrection !

It is also required for updates, so if you decide to share additional receivers with friends and they're not hooked to the same phone line it can be tracked I suppose.

In a dry but moldy New Orleans, Louisiana
    Quote Originally Posted by albertwhite View Post
    I have also this direct tv and phone line.But some time it show some problem in getting started.So what is the solution of it?Does anybody know about this?
    1-800-531-5000

Call that number and see what they tell you.
    Sliding down the banister of life ..........................