Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 114

Thread: Free 1 Year Subscription to MS Technet!

  1. #81
    Ohh Hell yeah.. Sava700's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    24,052
    Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    And what did they send you?
    when I had a technet sub several years ago I got lots of invitations to meetings from MS and other junk.. of course it was you pay for the trip to it and pay us to come to it type stuff but yeah alot of junk mail. Even MSDN get junk mail.

  2. #82
    Second Most EVIL YARDofSTUF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    69,992
    Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    How do you know that giving away 30K didn't get them 50K from it in new sign ups?? You don't know..your only running off with speculation.
    $30,000+ from one person, the sign up is $350.

    For every person that took that much worth of keys, MS would need 86 people to sign up to squeeze out a little profit.

    The average person who got in on the promo probably grabbed 4 keys at least so then thats more than the sign up price as well putting them in the hole.

  3. #83
    Ohh Hell yeah.. Sava700's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    24,052
    Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    $30,000+ from one person, the sign up is $350.

    For every person that took that much worth of keys, MS would need 86 people to sign up to squeeze out a little profit.

    The average person who got in on the promo probably grabbed 4 keys at least so then thats more than the sign up price as well putting them in the hole.
    Then scale it down and black list those that took multiple keys then.. let those that didn't get greedy keep them. I didn't say be unrealistic here..I'm just saying damage control in some sort to keep good PR with those that didn't go ape and get way to many in order to sell them which is what most prob did.

  4. #84
    Second Most EVIL YARDofSTUF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    69,992
    Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    when I had a technet sub several years ago I got lots of invitations to meetings from MS and other junk.. of course it was you pay for the trip to it and pay us to come to it type stuff but yeah alot of junk mail. Even MSDN get junk mail.
    So you received mandatory mails, which you agreed to in signing up, and teh newsletters.

    Its not junk mail, and you can choose not to recieve MS newsletters or mail from MS partners.

  5. #85
    Ohh Hell yeah.. Sava700's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    24,052
    Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    So you received mandatory mails, which you agreed to in signing up, and teh newsletters.

    Its not junk mail, and you can choose not to recieve MS newsletters or mail from MS partners.
    you receive junk mail you really didn't want but sucked it up anyway and just added them to the recycled box.

  6. #86
    Moderator Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    30,761
    Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    ugg... where is Hell at or are you arging with the Devil about that too?
    Somewhere I recall you giving me grief about rolling my eyes at you. Nice consistency there Sava. I can't help the fact your argument has serious flaws.

    Also what you did is accuse me of poor business experience when your idea is beyond ridiculous for reasons YoS has already pointed out.

  7. #87
    Second Most EVIL YARDofSTUF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    69,992
    Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    Then scale it down and black list those that took multiple keys then.. let those that didn't get greedy keep them. I didn't say be unrealistic here..I'm just saying damage control in some sort to keep good PR with those that didn't go ape and get way to many in order to sell them which is what most prob did.
    That still leaves the issue of will all these people use the software for evaluation, or will they just use it as new perm software? And the answer is generally going to be the later, with breaks the technet EULA, so common sense says save some trouble and blacklist them all.

  8. #88
    Second Most EVIL YARDofSTUF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    69,992
    Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    you receive junk mail you really didn't want but sucked it up anyway and just added them to the recycled box.
    Me? I get no junk mail from MS, because MS does not send out junk mail, like, "get free viagra", or "buy this", "help my cousin into the country" crap.

    I get no MS newsletter because I chose not to receive it.

    I get no MS partners emails because I chose not to receive them.

    I do receive the Windows 7 letters from time to time as I did sign up for the beta.

  9. #89
    Ohh Hell yeah.. Sava700's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    24,052
    Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post
    Somewhere I recall you giving me grief about rolling my eyes at you. Nice consistency there Sava. I can't help the fact your argument has serious flaws.

    Also what you did is accuse me of poor business experience when your idea is beyond ridiculous for reasons YoS has already pointed out.
    no flaws in my argument... the idea may need to be altered in a way to ensure good PR and still give some that didn't get greedy a few valid keys which is not a flaw but simple holes that can be filled as the situation is allowed to grow.

    But ohh well whats done is done and us sitting here arguing over it won't change it. I'll keep my keys for now and see what happens in the coming days/weeks.

  10. #90
    Moderator YeOldeStonecat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Posts
    50,918
    Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    How do you know that giving away 30K didn't get them 50K from it in new sign ups?? You don't know..your only running off with speculation.
    I'd say 1 out of 100 people actually realized the value of the service...and signed up. 99% of the people just abused the heck out of the system to rob what they could for free.

    These deals circulate around registered partner and developer sites...(which is where the people who actually value it will sign up) I've never seen one leak out to the public like this did, hence my original statement a few pages back.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

  11. #91
    SCSI Dude Faust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Posts
    8,708
    meh. my outlook is this....

    businesses have one goal.... revenue. and, we will tend to agree that businesses will try and protect that any way they can, be it legal and/or moral, or (in some cases) illegal and/or immoral. MS is trying to protect itself and it's revenue potential.

    in the case of the RIAA/entertainment industry making a fuss about illegal music downloads equaling stolen (intellectual) property, they saw/see each d/l as a lost sale. MS is feeling the same way about large sums of licences being aquired by folks that would have had to pay them for the licences otherwise. i can understand MS's thought process. of course, this doesnt mean i have to like or agree with it.

    personally, there have been many times in my life where i entered into an agreement that, in the end, i kinda wish i hadn't. even in cases where there was a mistake made on my part that wound up in the deal working out in a way i didnt intend, i was still compelled (and sometimes coerced) into holding up my end. IMO the size of the transaction (money, services, sotware, emails, ads, etc) is irrelevant. a deal is a deal. if i were to breach an agreement or contract with Microsoft you can bet your ass they would release the hounds of hell on my ass with absolutely no regret or sympathy. why? beacuse as i mentioned, a deal is a deal, no matter how big or small.

    my feeling is they should man up and honor the agreements with the folks who took them up on their offer. however, my guess is that somewhere in the murky fine print beneath the fine print, MS left enough legal open ends in their favor that they are fully entitled to revoke any and all licences aquired in a way they didnt intend.
    "Today is a black day in the history of mankind."

    - Leo Szilard

  12. #92

  13. #93
    Ohh Hell yeah.. Sava700's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    24,052
    No real Official word from MS yet that I can see on any of their technet blog sites or anything. Someone from another site said they contacted technet's support and this was said:

    it was their fault and all keys would be honored as we were subscribers at the time the keys were given. Therefore it can not be considered stealing or pirating.
    Many others have stated they are still trying keys and activations are working just fine and updates even with Genuine Advantage isn't doing anything negative. Looks like MS is going to let you go with what every you got it would seem.

  14. #94
    Second Most EVIL YARDofSTUF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    69,992
    http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/0...t-subscription


    This says otherwise. Odds are they just haven't examined them all yet.


    But I guess I can hang on to my keys for a bit.

  15. #95
    Ohh Hell yeah.. Sava700's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    24,052
    Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/0...t-subscription


    This says otherwise. Odds are they just haven't examined them all yet.


    But I guess I can hang on to my keys for a bit.

    You have a member of a site getting that and another getting something else..but I've heard nobody having issues with key's they have used yet so that tells me a good chance of them staying usable so yes hold on to them a while.

  16. #96
    Second Most EVIL YARDofSTUF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    69,992
    Nighthawk on Neowin has been talking to MS though, Hes hoping to have more info later today or so.

  17. #97
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    578
    Ha Ha, I missed all these stampede. All I need was just the Vista with SP2 ISO from the Technet site directly.

  18. #98
    Ohh Hell yeah.. Sava700's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    24,052
    Quote Originally Posted by satyre View Post
    Ha Ha, I missed all these stampede. All I need was just the Vista with SP2 ISO from the Technet site directly.
    http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/0...e-bt-download/

    use that torrent...its the real deal same as from MS.

  19. #99
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    578
    I got it from that link when it came out few weeks ago. But still a psychological effect of Torrent download with skepticism, though I verified the Checksums.

  20. #100
    Second Most EVIL YARDofSTUF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    69,992
    It seems people that signed up in the UK get to keep their subscriptions due to how the UK laws are.

Similar Threads

  1. ESPN Insider??
    By Sava700 in forum General Discussion Board
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 07-24-07, 01:54 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •