Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 114

Thread: Free 1 Year Subscription to MS Technet!

  1. #61
    Second Most EVIL YARDofSTUF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    69,983
    Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post
    If one of your family members left your house unlocked and people walked in and took stuff then you caught them doing it would you tell them to go ahead and keep it?
    Oh come on, why go to such inaccurate extremes to try and show that MS is not in the wrong here?

  2. #62
    Moderator Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    30,761
    Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    Oh come on, why go to such inaccurate extremes to try and show that MS is not in the wrong here?
    It's called giving an example on a personal level.

  3. #63
    Second Most EVIL YARDofSTUF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    69,983
    Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post
    It's called giving an example on a personal level.
    Ya, and your example doesn't fit. No physical property was stolen.


    MS had a deal as part of a survey, due to their lax security the link got out and was usable by all, the rest is damage control.

  4. #64
    Moderator Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    30,761
    Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    Ya, and your example doesn't fit. No physical property was stolen.


    MS had a deal as part of a survey, due to their lax security the link got out and was usable by all, the rest is damage control.
    So because it's not physical property it's not just as valuable. I think you know that's a flawed theory on your part. The point is regardless of how you want to spin it it is in fact MS' property and since it was obtained against their wishes (lax security or not) they have every right to take back that property.

  5. #65
    Second Most EVIL YARDofSTUF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    69,983
    Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post
    So because it's not physical property it's not just as valuable. I think you know that's a flawed theory on your part.
    Its not about value, its not theft, I guess they can argue its piracy, but to all of us that signed up, it was just an article on a tech news web page with a free offer. So blame them for the piracy.

    But theft and piracy are not the same thing.

  6. #66
    Moderator Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    30,761
    Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    Its not about value, its not theft, I guess they can argue its piracy, but to all of us that signed up, it was just an article on a tech news web page with a free offer. So blame them for the piracy.

    But theft and piracy are not the same thing.
    I agree with you that it can't be labeled theft, but it's not unreasonable for MS to want back what is theirs. As for the blame in a hypothetical situation MS would argue that the release of what would essentially amount of thousands of dollars worth of information (Per person in some cases) for free is highly suspect.

    Now I will be the first to say like everyone else in here I figured it was some promotional deal. Yes it seemed odd to me, but I figured it was there and we were allowed to do it. That wasn't the point I was making though. I was merely saying it's reasonable for MS not to want to kill sale profits by allowing those numbers to remain in use.

  7. #67
    Ohh Hell yeah.. Sava700's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    24,052
    I would have never left a paper for the people to sign when they came into the house to take everything. In this case I signed a agreement with MS and was good to go with my side.. but you can bet they won't delete my contact information and I'll still get slammed with junk mail while at the same time they killed off anything I got such as the Keys.

    Nope.. MS is at fault here and should do a good PR move and let the keys be used.

  8. #68
    Moderator Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    30,761
    Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post

    Nope.. MS is at fault here and should do a good PR move and let the keys be used.
    Obviously that's a dream. Mistake or not no way would MS give up thousands of dollars that way.

  9. #69
    Ohh Hell yeah.. Sava700's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    24,052
    Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post
    Obviously that's a dream. Mistake or not no way would MS give up thousands of dollars that way.
    they are not giving up nothing that I can tell and this would be a good PR move to gain some future technet subs which in a way would gain more money than give up. I've already heard of a few people on other forums saying they went ahead and signed up and paid the fee cause of this "promo".

    I think its a win situation for MS if they not mess with the keys you already have..but I wouldn't give access to view them again, only if you were smart enough to copy and paste them somewhere or write them down.

  10. #70
    Moderator Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    30,761
    Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    they are not giving up nothing that I can tell
    Without those keys any software purchased is dead in the water Sava. How can you possibly think they aren't giving up something?

  11. #71
    Ohh Hell yeah.. Sava700's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    24,052
    Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post
    Without those keys any software purchased is dead in the water Sava. How can you possibly think they aren't giving up something?
    You give a little away to get customers.. fee samples/promo give away.. you obviously don't have any experience in business or you would have seen that a mile away.

    But again you sign a agreement and you can bet they didn't delete my personal info and they will slam my mailbox with junk mail which is normal for tech net subs anyway...but now those that signed it won't get what they were signing up for.

  12. #72
    Moderator Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    30,761
    Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    You give a little away to get customers.. fee samples/promo give away.. you obviously don't have any experience in business or you would have seen that a mile away.

    But again you sign a agreement and you can bet they didn't delete my personal info and they will slam my mailbox with junk mail which is normal for tech net subs anyway...but now those that signed it won't get what they were signing up for.
    lol not sure what business plan you are attempting to spin when a giveaway could lead to millions of dollars in lost revenue.

    Seriously, a business plan might be giving away one or two keys for a period of time. However, you are just one example of where dozens of keys were accessed. Now multiply that by what apparently was massive crowds of people accessing the site. Guess you could say I question your business sense Sava. Remind me not to turn over a business to you for fear your promos would cost me millions.

  13. #73
    Second Most EVIL YARDofSTUF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    69,983
    Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post
    I agree with you that it can't be labeled theft, but it's not unreasonable for MS to want back what is theirs.
    No its not unreasonable, my issue was that your "example on a personal level" was theft and this is not.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    In this case I signed a agreement with MS and was good to go with my side.. but you can bet they won't delete my contact information and I'll still get slammed with junk mail while at the same time they killed off anything I got such as the Keys.

    Nope.. MS is at fault here and should do a good PR move and let the keys be used.
    In the MS agreement it mentions that you need to be verified, and their legal fine print backs them up that what they did was an option available to them, that you agreed to.

    MS wont do a PR move, partly due to the people grabbing hundreds of keys IMO, and the fact that many many people would not use the technet software as evaluation only software, which is what technet is designed for.

  14. #74
    Moderator Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    30,761
    Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    No its not unreasonable, my issue was that your "example on a personal level" was theft and this is not.

    Fair enough. In hindsight I agree it wasn't a good analogy.

  15. #75
    Second Most EVIL YARDofSTUF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    69,983
    Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    But again you sign a agreement and you can bet they didn't delete my personal info and they will slam my mailbox with junk mail which is normal for tech net subs anyway...but now those that signed it won't get what they were signing up for.
    They don't send out junk mail. If you don't want their newsletter don't subscribe for it, and if you are subscribed, cancel it.

  16. #76
    Ohh Hell yeah.. Sava700's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    24,052
    Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post
    lol not sure what business plan you are attempting to spin when a giveaway could lead to millions of dollars in lost revenue.

    Seriously, a business plan might be giving away one or two keys for a period of time. However, you are just one example of where dozens of keys were accessed. Now multiply that by what apparently was massive crowds of people accessing the site. Guess you could say I question your business sense Sava. Remind me not to turn over a business to you for fear your promos would cost me millions.

    ugg... where is Hell at or are you arging with the Devil about that too?

  17. #77
    Ohh Hell yeah.. Sava700's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    24,052
    Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    They don't send out junk mail. If you don't want their newsletter don't subscribe for it, and if you are subscribed, cancel it.
    Yes, they do send out junk mail to subs....sad to say it was what it was but nothing a recycle box didn't take care of.

  18. #78
    Second Most EVIL YARDofSTUF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    69,983
    Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    Yes, they do send out junk mail to subs....sad to say it was what it was but nothing a recycle box didn't take care of.
    And what did they send you?

  19. #79
    Second Most EVIL YARDofSTUF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    69,983
    Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    ugg... where is Hell at or are you arging with the Devil about that too?
    Giving away $30,000+ in software to people isn't a good business model, but I guess you realized that and changed gears to tackle heaven and hell, a more winnable battle.

  20. #80
    Ohh Hell yeah.. Sava700's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    24,052
    Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    Giving away $30,000+ in software to people isn't a good business model, but I guess you realized that and changed gears to tackle heaven and hell, a more winnable battle.
    How do you know that giving away 30K didn't get them 50K from it in new sign ups?? You don't know..your only running off with speculation.

Similar Threads

  1. ESPN Insider??
    By Sava700 in forum General Discussion Board
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 07-24-07, 01:54 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •