Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you guys do to cut expenses?

What do you guys do to cut expenses?

Aside from brown bagging lunch, what do you guys do to cut your monthly expenses?

- So far, I brought my celly down from $99.99 a month to $39.99 a month.

- My landline is on vacation mode which changed it from $30.00 a month to $4.69 a month. I could still have my internet service.

- My DSL went from $21.99 a month to $14.99 a month.

I did the above today.

I have to cut as many corners as I can because I have to save for my son's wedding.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Groceries was a biggie for me....I was used to going to the market or butcher and picking up higher end steaks at least a couple of times a week. Getting a single steak that costed around 18-25 bucks per serving....

Going out to the sushi bar frequently...I'd easily blow around or over 100 bucks just myself in one sitting.

I'm haven't picked up a pair of Cole Haan shoes in 2 years...the ones I usually get are about 160 bucks/pair.

Lunch is a big one....that 7-10 bucks per lunch....5x days a week....versus brown baggin it or just getting a simple 3-4 dollar lunch somewhere adds up.

This past winter we tried keeping the heat down a bit, oil prices being as they were..that was adding up big time. Now to get Jake to stop taking 35 minute showers...that's probably 4-5 bucks per shower as far as oil consumption...adds up over the month.

You already did a big one...stopped smoking. At $6.something a pack...that adds up over the week.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Well, I only paid $1.50 to $2 a pack for cigarettes. I bought them from the res by the carton, but either way, I am glad I quit. It is 4 months this week.

Buying breakfast and lunch I have to cut out on a daily basis. It adds up. I may treat myself once a week.

I set up auto savings with ING and having $200 a paycheck put into a savings account. I get paid the 15th and 30th a month. I am hoping to increase it.

I even have my bills on auto pay so I am never late and will never have to incur any late charges.

Restaurants do add up, but it is nice once in a while.

Just got rid of Directv, and mounted an antenna on the roof.
    When they kick at your front door, how you gonna come? With your hands at your head, or the trigger of your gun?

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Now to get Jake to stop taking 35 minute showers...that's probably 4-5 bucks per shower as far as oil consumption...adds up over the month.
    Ha! You think Jake is bad, I'll give you Chris. I kid you not, he spends 3 hours in the bathroom. He is worse then any woman I've ever encountered. Even the girls that he goes out with can't get over how long he spends in there. For me, it's electrical expense of the well pump running and water heater. He has no conception of what things cost.

How much heating oil did you manage to burn off over winter?

Deb I've done everything I can short of cutting off the cable. There is no more trimming I can do and I'm still in trouble.

Top it off, Lyn got her hours cut to 32 a week, had to take over a $1 pay cut, so that puts us at $400 less a month, then she's getting laid off June 15th until after July 4th. I don't know what's keeping me from losing it.
    Last edited by blebs; 06-01-09 at 08:38 AM.
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces people into thinking they can't lose. -Bill Gates

Quote Originally Posted by WhoNut View Post
    Just got rid of Directv, and mounted an antenna on the roof.
    We are going to be digital by the end of this month. An antenna will not work for us.

I don't watch TV any way. I canceled my Cable over a year ago.

Damn Blebs. I hope everything reverses itself and all will work out for you guys.

We're about to install in-line water heaters where I live, and get rid of the hot water tank. The on-demand heat will cut electrical use drastically.

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie View Post

- My landline is on vacation mode which changed it from $30.00 a month to $4.69 a month. I could still have my internet service.

-

How does that work exactly? Reason I ask is we only have a landline for DirecTV purposes and I would love to cut that bill out.

Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post
    How does that work exactly? Reason I ask is we only have a landline for DirecTV purposes and I would love to cut that bill out.
    Generally, at least when I used it with Qwest, they allow you to keep the phone number assigned to your account but you have no services on it for incoming or outgoing calls except 911. It's basically turned into a 'phone number holding' service.

Quote Originally Posted by Paft View Post
    Generally, at least when I used it with Qwest, they allow you to keep the phone number assigned to your account but you have no services on it for incoming or outgoing calls except 911. It's basically turned into a 'phone number holding' service.
    ahhh okay. I might need to look into that actually. Thanks for the info.

It is a little over $4 a month for at least 6 months and then $6 fcc charge for the last 3 months. It expires March 1 2010. I recall the rep saying that I can renew it 30 days after the last expiration. She did not want me to cancel my landline. I basically explained my situation to her and she tried to find ways of cutting expenses. It will have a recording if people call that line. I only have it dedicated to my DSL. I have Verizon.

Quote Originally Posted by Paft View Post
    Yes, but I can still use my DSL on it.

It is a little over $4 a month for at least 6 months and then $6 fcc charge for the last 3 months. It expires March 1 2010. I recall the rep saying that I can renew it 30 days after the last expiration. She did not want me to cancel my landline. I basically explained my situation to her and she tried to find ways of cutting expenses. It will have a recording if people call that line. I only have it dedicated to my DSL. I have Verizon.
    Wonder if I could do the same thing, but have it work for DirecTV?

As for phone, I use 8x8 (Packet 8) and I was paying $15/month for 500 minutes. I got an email saying that plan was going away and 1 June I would be on the $25/month unlimited plan. I called them up and switched to the "fax plan" at $9.99/month which is 300 outgoing minutes and unlimited incoming.

Heh heh. It works.

As for other cost cutting things, just not going out and doing things that cost money is what I've done in the past. Instead of going to dinner and then see a movie, hit up RedBox for $1 or going to the library for a book and cook up something at home with some (inexpensive) wine.

Start logging every penny you spend into Quicken Online (FREE!) and you can see for yourself where you might be spending more money than you think.

Good luck.

Wonder if I could do the same thing, but have it work for DirecTV?
    I don't know. Call them and see what they say? Who is your provider?

Quote Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
    As for phone, I use 8x8 (Packet 8) and I was paying $15/month for 500 minutes. I got an email saying that plan was going away and 1 June I would be on the $25/month unlimited plan. I called them up and switched to the "fax plan" at $9.99/month which is 300 outgoing minutes and unlimited incoming.

Heh heh. It works.

As for other cost cutting things, just not going out and doing things that cost money is what I've done in the past. Instead of going to dinner and then see a movie, hit up RedBox for $1 or going to the library for a book and cook up something at home with some (inexpensive) wine.

Start logging every penny you spend into Quicken Online (FREE!) and you can see for yourself where you might be spending more money than you think.

Good luck.
    Thanks MM. I like the idea of posting every expense. Sometimes, when you get the visual on how much money you spend, it helps.

I turned my house phone off and I have Dish Network.. they said It has to be hooked up to a phone line I called BS on that and said it has a ethernet connection in the back of the receiver..guy said Ohh yeah you can use that if you want! So I ran a 50ft ethernet cable over to the receiver and hooked up a switch and then hooked up a cable to it and my Blue ray player for updates..works great and saved 35$/month.

Otherwise I keep the AC in the summer at 75/74 and the heat at 69/68 in the winter.

Go out to eat once a month or so for movie and stuff, Don't drive anywhere I don't need to go cause gas prices are too high.

I don't know. Call them and see what they say? Who is your provider?
    Embarq.

Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    I turned my house phone off and I have Dish Network.. they said It has to be hooked up to a phone line I called BS on that and said it has a ethernet connection in the back of the receiver..guy said Ohh yeah you can use that if you want! So I ran a 50ft ethernet cable over to the receiver and hooked up a switch and then hooked up a cable to it and my Blue ray player for updates..works great and saved 35$/month.

Otherwise I keep the AC in the summer at 75/74 and the heat at 69/68 in the winter.

Go out to eat once a month or so for movie and stuff, Don't drive anywhere I don't need to go cause gas prices are too high.
    hmmm I need to check the back of my dvr's and see if they have an ethernet connection or not. I can't recall.

Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post

I turned down the temp on my hot water tank and keep the temps at 70 in the winter and summer.

I don't know about down there, but up here the dish network sucked, especially every time it rained. I would never get it. I feel about that like you feel about facebook and myspace.

I rarely go out and I don't have a car so that saves a lot for me compared to the average person.