Thread: Slow file transfer over gigabit ethernet

Slow file transfer over gigabit ethernet

Hi!

I've always had this problem on my home network with low file transfer speeds. Transferring a file between two computers with gigabit ethernet cards through a gigabit ethernet router (D-Link DIR-655) takes about 20 minutes for a 4,5 gig file (or many smaller files equalling the same total size). This translates as far as I can calculate a 30 Mbit/sec (yes, Megabit, NOT MegaByte, which would be a lot more decent) transfer rate. I would think that a gigabit connection should be able to at least 10 or 15-double that speed.

If I disconnect the cable from one of the computers and uses its wireless N connection, the speed is about the same. It was also the same using my old 100 Mbit router and a different computer with a 100 Mbit NIC.

I've tried the usual registry tweaks I can find at sites like this one, disabling firewall and antivirus software, hooking up the pcs directly bypassing the router, everything! Also which HDD I copy the files to/from (internal SATA, ESATA, USB2) has no effect on the speed. Transferring a file between two USB2-connected drives is about 4 times faster. I use Windows Explorer to copy (drag & drop) the files.

I don't understand this at all. Surely, Windows XP Pro should be able to transfer a file faster than 30 Mbit/sec over ethernet!!! Please someone give me a clue what's wrong...

Regards,
    Audun

I haven't used gigabyte ethernet cards before but this sounds like the same problem I have with my crossover connection. Try disabling the wireless connection on the computers. The problem I've found was that Windows transfers files through the wireless connection by default.

Its the Explorer looks like. Get a FTP client and use pasv ( default usually ) . I'd say use FileZilla ( free ) . I had that issue once and was resolved using a 3rd party FTP client