Thread: Do you enjoy working with your hands?

In a dry but moldy New Orleans, Louisiana

Cool Do you enjoy working with your hands?

I know I do. I quit a good paying job, for a good company, to go back to wrenching on bikes. If there was any ability I had was the ability to fix anything that ran on gas or electricity. Except for recent illness, now my manual dexterity is shot.

It’s a great article and worth the time to read.

Rediscovering the Value and Deep Satisfaction of Highly Skilled Hands on Work
    Sliding down the banister of life ..........................

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    I do. I enjoy dorking around with my vehicle..changing my own oil. Used to do my own brakes, upgrade suspension, etc etc.

Enjoy tinkering around with the boat

Even though I'm into computers for a living, networks...my favorite part is building servers, putting them together, putting together server cabinets, arranging patch panels...kinda like a giant erector set, and it's put together with my own hands.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Thereís a lot to be said for a person that can work with their hands. Many people canít. Installing some old-construction boxes once for cat cable, a guy I worked with traced around the box and cut the hole. Too bad he cut the hole too damn big and the box fell into the wall.

He probably could quote every Microsoft article word for word, give him a drill and he turned into a retard. That hole was a royal pain in the ass to fix and then he tried to lay it on me because I said ďjust trace around it and cut it out with the jig-sawĒ

How was I to know a grown man had never used a jig-saw before? Donít worry, I revoked his man card.

Both of my Grandfathers gardened and I picked it up from them. Just not happy without some dirt under my fingernails. Wish the season in NY was longer, we have a frost warning for tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by OSULLY View Post
    ...we have a frost warning for tonight...
    What? Damn man, itís been in the 80ís during the day here for well over a month now.

Hereís a tip to help keep your hands clean for the grease monkeys out there, juice up your hands with some hand lotion a few minutes before you start the dirty work. Under your finger nails, knuckles, all over. It helps keep dry hands from sucking up the dirty oil. In the long run it helps keep your hands in decent shape too. My hands arenít near as bad as other mechanics my age. Makes your hands much easier to clean too.

Quote Originally Posted by RoundEye View Post
    Hereís a tip to help keep your hands clean for the grease monkeys out there, juice up your hands with some hand lotion a few minutes before you start the dirty work. Under your finger nails, knuckles, all over. It helps keep dry hands from sucking up the dirty oil. In the long run it helps keep your hands in decent shape too. My hands arenít near as bad as other mechanics my age. Makes your hands much easier to clean too.
    nice tip. i refuse any job that does not involve doing something. i have 2 hands on jobs right now that im loving. 1 building the pcb's and cases for ultra sonic test equip that we sell to university's and junk. The second is repairing the boards, moniters and cases of pinball and arcade games. i really like that one.

Quote Originally Posted by morbidpete View Post
    ...nice tip...
    I havenít worked on anything that had any dirty grease in a while but my hands arenít near as bad as other mechanics my age.

Quote Originally Posted by morbidpete View Post
    ...The second is repairing the boards, moniters and cases of pinball and arcade games....
    When I was a kid I used to admire the guy that came to the bowling ally and fixed all the machines. I thought that was the greatest job. When I got older and started repairing stereos and TVís I bet I applied at arcade company in the city. Even as I got older I still wanted to work on arcade machines.