Thread: What do you want to see happen?

What do you want to see happen?

There are a lot of threads here about things that are happening, and they do a really excellent job at pointing out all of the flaws in decisions that are being made currently. But an interesting point of note is that none of them seem to offer up any truly constructive criticism - everyone's willing to stand up and say, "This is wrong," but nobody's willing to follow through with, "...and this is what I want to change, and see happen." So I'm opening the question to everyone here - and the issues you tackle for change can be as small or as global as you like - I just want to see people take a minute to stop reacting to change and come up with some positive changes of their own. And all viewpoints are welcome! From extreme law to extreme chaos, from extreme good to extreme evil - I want to see your personal positive change ideas.

I'll start it off.

----- ----- ----- ----- -----

There are a lot of programs in place to help the needy, both from the public sector and the private sector. But these programs are often very narrowly defined, and quite often, people who are truly in need are turned away because they don't match a specific criteria in a long list of disqualifications, and they end up being seriously harmed because of being turned away. They can end up homeless, hungry, jobless, sick or dying, or just hurt with nowhere to turn except to begging on the streets for help, where more and more they are being ignored.

I want to see these programs come together and open up. A truly positive change would be for people to stop segregating their help for the needy into tidy little exclusonary categories, and instead for those same people to pool their resources together into one large organization of mercy that is inclusive - no matter what your need, however great or small, you can turn to this organization to find help and guidance to get you back on your feet with the help you need to succeed. You wouldn't have to jump through hoops and fight your way through rejection after rejection just to get a small handout of money and no guidance, instead you are welcomed at the first sign of need and you are taken in and given advice and mentoring, along with material help - new clothes, food, medicine. The organization would provide training and support for people who are too damaged or broken to help themselves, so that those people can at least get to a point where they are self sufficient and no longer are outcast - where they can, in some small way, provide for themselves and their family in a way beneficial to society - even if it's doing menial tasks like collecting garbage in city streets, or delivering newspapers and packages to rural areas.

People can't keep segregating out their assistance if they truly want to help. Need is extremely personal, and that's my goal for a truly positive change - to have the ability and drive from enough people that we can help everyone who is in need, without boundaries, without limits.

In a dry but moldy New Orleans, Louisiana
    There are plenty programs set up to help the needy. Iím guessing that with the potential for abuse some rules have to be set up to exclude people. It may seem like an ďelitistĒ attitude but some rules have to be set up because there really is some lazy people out there. They are just looking for a free handout from anywhere.

Just recently applying for Medicaid to help pay for my hospital stay and medications, which by the way my Rebif shots will cost me near $2800 a month for the rest of my life, it did trip me out the amount of questions they asked.

Help is out there but you need to know where to look. Iím still trying to get my bearings straight trying to find help and MS is not a common disease for the most part. Itís not an easy world to navigate but help is out there for those who really need help.

Iíd give up vital body organs to be able to walk normal and work again.
    Sliding down the banister of life ..........................

In past centuries, there was no real large problem of "the needy" like there is today. There were always criminals and always people who wanted "something for nothing in return." But the majority of the downtrodden were willing to work or exchange for what they were given. And for the most part, caring for the needy was done by churches. (a church here defined as the congregation and the parish itself).

Today we have a large amount of needy people. The majority are unwilling to exchange for what they get and expect the govt to take care of their needs. This is WRONG because there's no such thing as the govt taking care of people. The system equates to the govt programs using the tax dollars of those that work to provide for those that don't or won't work.

There really are a very small number of truly needy people. The ones who cannot work due to physical conditions they were born with or were sustained in other ways, such as accidents, injuries, etc.

However, the cause of the great number of needy people today stems almost entirely from the psycho-social programs generated via goofy mental health bills. Joe Shmo is labeled as having some bullshat disorder and as a result must be medicated at our expense and is now limited in what work he can perform. His life is regulated, not by himself but by social services.

Solution:

Get rid of these psyche programs, get rid of the mental health labeling, train the people and put them to work via govt workfare programs that repair roads, park maintenence, trash collections, anything so long as the person is exchanging work for the handouts he's receiving. Eventually, a person ends up back on his feet again and becomes a contributing member of society.

Second part of solution:
    Cater first and formost to the able. Make the able more able and soon enough we'll see production increases in all vectors, thus more jobs created, more training available, etc.

Hand in hand with any soultion implemented must be the cleaning house of unethical people in positions of management of social programs. This includes legislators and elected officials as well as everyone else.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

Facts... Our production efficiency keeps increasing, shifting the requirement to produce away from labor towards capital. Capital attracts capital, money/posession bears children if cared for properly. Even in the 1990's, had we applied the most efficient production processes globally, only one third of the labor used back then would have been necessary. Efficiency figures have improved since the 1990's.

Out of these facts, I project that in the future, capital and possession will accumulate more and more at less and less rich people. If you have money, you can produce. If you only have labor, you're more inefficient, you don't earn money, you won't produce, you don't earn... and so on.

So what we need is an idea of where we want to go as mankind. Do we want to ever increase production and consumption? Do we want to continue to build things which last a year or two - so the economy can keep going?

Alternatively, we could switch all our production to maximum efficiency - increasing our output to a level where we could easily supply the entire world population with basic and luxury goods, while hardly any labor is required. This would allow for a basic minimum of goods free for everyone - and those that work, earn money to buy more luxury goods.

In my opinion, such a society would be possible today - given that mankind would be actually willing to pull it through. But given the current mindsets in the different areas of the world, rather unlikely, admitted.

But imagine the creativity that would be possible if everyone were not bound to the shackles of labor - somewhere between 8 and 16 hours a day to make ends meet. With this creativity comes more innovation for even more efficient machines or new products - again, increasing the wellbeing of all - and granting more rights for luxury goods (money) to the innovator.

The single technical problem that prevents realization today is energy, or harnassing it properly. With fusion plants, this problem would be solved forever. IMO, fusion energy should be mankind's #1 priority, it would allow endless more or less free energy for every nation. And if you think about it, energy is the constraint for about everything. Given that you had endless amounts of energy, you could produce about endless amounts of anything. With our new emerging understanding of atoms and their parts, we may even realize the ancient dream of alchemy, converting atoms into others. Given the mass of the Earth and other objects in Earth's vincinity, with near endless energy we could build cities of gold, if we wished so.

Another thing that makes me wonder since years... if matter can be created from pure energy - and we can do that already - then there must also be a reverse process. In nature, there ALWAYS is a reverse function. For addition there is subtraction, for multiplication there is division, etc. So estimates are that it would take the energy stored in our sun to create the mass of a hamburger. What's the reverse? The energy stored in our sun in the mass of a hamburger? Converting matter to pure energy - energy beyond our wildest dreams. Anything is possible with that much energy.
    ex-WoW-addict

In a dry but moldy New Orleans, Louisiana
    Quote Originally Posted by SeedOfChaos View Post
    .... Do we want to ever increase production and consumption? Do we want to continue to build things which last a year or two - so the economy can keep going?...

Read about planned obsolesce some.

The alchemy bit seems like it would destabilize some economies. I realize it wasnít your point, but a lot of countries base their value on the gold standard. If we can produce gold itís value would drop drastically.

As far as the last part about energy, that seems like Einsteinís massĖenergy equivalence.
    Sliding down the banister of life ..........................

There's no need to reduce labor or reduce production in any way. The reason that should never occur is because "production (labor) is the basis of all morale". Well being does not increase as wealth or material possessions increase. Nor does well being increase as material costs are reduced.

Well being, health, morale, happiness, are all the result of having produced something. By production I mean a man's individual products that get produced. Every worker in the egg carton factory has a specific product. One man's product is "quantity of cardboard unloaded from trucks", another's is "cardboard sheets fed into the die-press". each worker has a product, and production alone is what gives a man his morale.

And when morale is high, one's health improves. It's a scientific fact that as morale reduces so does the efficiency and effectiveness of an immune system reduce, and vice versa.

Expansion across the boards is the way to go. There's no shortage of space to live on this planet. The majority of people live within 100 miles of coastlines and the interiors of countries and continents are wide open spaces. It would take a long long time until we begin to run out of space to expand.

I believe the solution to any energy problems will have to do with safely harnessing the hydrogen in water. There's no shortage of water on this planet either.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

Had a chat with one of new cooks tonight about swearing. I do not like it. It is harrasement in its own, way, shape, and, form. It really through him for a loop.

I started here, cause I was always against the ^%$#=a, @#$%=b, and, the *&#$=c.

So in answer to your querry.

Yes I am still against swearing on the internet to B cool, heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Haggis View Post
    Had a chat with one of new cooks tonight about swearing. I do not like it. It is harrasement in its own, way, shape, and, form. It really through him for a loop.

I started here, cause I was always against the ^%$#=a, @#$%=b, and, the *&#$=c.

So in answer to your querry.

Yes I am still against swearing on the internet to B cool, heard.
    Agreed. It's really unnecessary for an intelligent conversation. There is so many better ways for a person to express themselves.