Thread: local area connection error

SG Enthusiast

local area connection error

Guys, I have an older PC that I use as a test PC. The OS is XP. The problem I have with this PC is I constantly get local area connection error upon bootup. All my cables are connected securely. I have to shutdown/ startup this PC multiple times before I don't see the little network PC's with the local area connection error in my system tray. What the hell could be causing this as it is very aggravating to power up/down the PC b4 I can use it.

Ideas?

thx

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Do you get a red X? (usually meaning physical error)
    Do you get the yellow partial connection symbol? (usually meaning IP stack or DHCP issue)

I always enable the LAN status icon in the systray of all my managed PCs...so seeing the little LAN connection PCs in the systray is a good thing. What counts..is the status that it's in.

If you have a red X..there's a physical issue to deal with.
    If you have a yellow mark on it, what happens if you assign that PC a static IP address....good connectivity?
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 24giovanni View Post
    Guys, I have an older PC that I use as a test PC. The OS is XP. The problem I have with this PC is I constantly get local area connection error upon bootup. All my cables are connected securely. I have to shutdown/ startup this PC multiple times before I don't see the little network PC's with the local area connection error in my system tray. What the hell could be causing this as it is very aggravating to power up/down the PC b4 I can use it.

Ideas?

thx
    Have you tried updating the drivers? Onboard nic or PCI?

SG Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Do you get a red X? (usually meaning physical error)
    Do you get the yellow partial connection symbol? (usually meaning IP stack or DHCP issue)

I always enable the LAN status icon in the systray of all my managed PCs...so seeing the little LAN connection PCs in the systray is a good thing. What counts..is the status that it's in.

If you have a red X..there's a physical issue to deal with.
    If you have a yellow mark on it, what happens if you assign that PC a static IP address....good connectivity?
    Cat, There is neither a yellow mark or red x under computer mgmnt. It looks like it is suppose to look as far as I know. I usually always enable Lan status icon in system tray as well. One of the things my Prof told us to do. Any other ideas on the issue?

thx

SG Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by CableDude View Post
    Have you tried updating the drivers? Onboard nic or PCI?
    Cd, I just tried updating drivers through hardware update wizard. I have never done this before this way but I just did. It came back saying "the wizard has finished installing the software for DLINK DFE-530TX+ PCI FAST ETHERNET ADAPTER (REV f).". Does that mean it actually needed to be updated or would the wizard of came back saying drivers are up to date? Please let me know.

thx

OK so if you check that box to always show..it should always show if the Network Adapters are loading properly in Windows.

Next time it fails...quickly go right to Device Manager and make sure the network adapter shows up properly, under the correct section.

There are some rootkits out there lately which mess up your NIC drivers, and in Device Manager it'll show down in Unknown Hardware...but yet be properly named 'n stuff. Instead of under the correct green icon for Network Adapters. When that happens, you also dont' have the LAN status in systray, nor the LAN adapter in Network Adapters when you go to manage connections under Network Places.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Cd, I just tried updating drivers through hardware update wizard. I have never done this before this way but I just did. It came back saying "the wizard has finished installing the software for DLINK DFE-530TX+ PCI FAST ETHERNET ADAPTER (REV f).". Does that mean it actually needed to be updated or would the wizard of came back saying drivers are up to date? Please let me know.

thx
    Hard for me to tell without actually seeing it. I would have checked the driver dates under device manager (or mangler as YOSC refers to it) to see if they changed.

SG Enthusiast
    Hard for me to tell without actually seeing it. I would have checked the driver dates under device manager (or mangler as YOSC refers to it) to see if they changed.
    Quess I will find out tomorrow to see if it helps upon bootup. I shall check event viewer in the mean time.

thx

thx
    Commonly, if the drivers you are trying to install are older than what Windows already has, it will tell you. If they are equal version, Windows usually tells you that too. If they are newer, it will tell you it completed installing them.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

SG Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Commonly, if the drivers you are trying to install are older than what Windows already has, it will tell you. If they are equal version, Windows usually tells you that too. If they are newer, it will tell you it completed installing them.
    It did tell me it completed installing them. I assume they are new then. Hopefully that solved the problem. Thx Cat and CD.

Ok keep us posted.

I've seen malware/spyware cause this problem... remove the infections and it fixes the internet connection.

Do a YOSC special on it

The tools I use to clean infected PCs...
    CCleaner first
    MalwareBytes
    Spybot S&D
    SuperAntispyware
    AntiVir
    Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool

SG Enthusiast
    Guys, After updating drivers, I didn't reboot the PC. The drivers listed under properties drivers says 06/4/07 but the latest is 10/7/07 according to d-link's site. Is the reason the current one is not listed because I haven't rebooted yet? Or should it list the correct current driver date?

thx

SG Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    I've seen malware/spyware cause this problem... remove the infections and it fixes the internet connection.
    If driver update didn't solve probs. I will try this next.

thx

SG Enthusiast
    Ok keep us posted.
    Looks LIke you were spot on CD. Thank you very much. I appreciate yours and everyone elses help on the subject.

thx