Thread: HELP!!!!!!!!!........... please!!

']['huglife

Post HELP!!!!!!!!!........... please!!

the other day i installed pc accelerator 4000 and win boost 2k gold on my brotha's computer and after i set a few tweaks and enabled the rage 128 optimizing option the computer wouldn't load up properly anymore.
    since we're running a network at home when its time for the computer to load the start up log in screen it flashes black and restarts the system.
    I ran dr.watson built into win 98 and it said that the video card drivers weren't plug and play compatible wit win 95 (doesn't make sense to me)
    i've tried formatting the drive and reinstalling windows and its still the same
    when i go into safe mode i can't access the cdrom to re install the drivers from the ati cd

my bro's computer is
    AMD 350
    ATI expert 128 16mb
    32mb
    2.1gb hardrive

can some one please help me with this problem

thx

any suggestions would be well appreciated

Amro

try opening the system up and switching the rage card to a different pci slot..you'll need to reinstall the drivers. mm i know it seems like it's dumb and won't do anything but it helps me out a lot when i screw up things (believe me i do a lot)

Amro

------------------
    "If a man could have half his wishes, he would double his troubles."
    -Benjamin Franklin

SaraLeeCake

i hate these posts where people just put "HELP!!" in the subject why dont you briefly describe the problem

Originally posted by ']['huglife:
    the other day i installed pc accelerator 4000 and win boost 2k gold on my brotha's computer and after i set a few tweaks and enabled the rage 128 optimizing option the computer wouldn't load up properly anymore.
    since we're running a network at home when its time for the computer to load the start up log in screen it flashes black and restarts the system.
    I ran dr.watson built into win 98 and it said that the video card drivers weren't plug and play compatible wit win 95 (doesn't make sense to me)
    i've tried formatting the drive and reinstalling windows and its still the same
    when i go into safe mode i can't access the cdrom to re install the drivers from the ati cd

my bro's computer is
    AMD 350
    ATI expert 128 16mb
    32mb
    2.1gb hardrive

can some one please help me with this problem

thx

any suggestions would be well appreciated

You reformatted the drive and did a complete full install of W98? Windows should pick up the ATI card from its driver list. Then install the latest drivers from ATI. I believe that the CDROM is not available in safemode.

The latest ATI drivers for the Expert 128 can be found HERE

[This message has been edited by bug (edited 03-26-2000).]

Win98 doesn't have any default drivers for the Rage 128. It will install Generic VGA so you will be stuck in 640x480 with 16 colors. You have to download the latest Drivers from ATI and Install them.

I don't know what pc accelerator does, but with the Rage 128 there is an option in the drivers (but not listed in the options) that can disable or enable HMDL. In some systems enabling HMDL can cause great instability and give you a black screen as you said you got. In some systems having HMDL on gives a good speed increase.

Don't use that pc accelerator to tweak your video card. Go to www.rageunderground.com and download the Rage 128 Tweaker, it's the BEST tweaker you will find for Rage 128 based cards.

------------------
    a.k.a Borg Drone
    Owner/Webmaster
    Core Meltdown www.coremeltdown.com

Out the 100TX, through the linksys router/switch, down the cable modem, over the Tap, off the bridge, past the node, straight up the gateway, past the head end office....nothing but Net