Thread: Do hard drives need to be the same size for RAID 0?

Post Do hard drives need to be the same size for RAID 0?

Here is my situation. If both drives are 7200 RPB and ultra ATA can I use them in RAID 0 or do I need to partition them to be the same logical size?

Also what brand/model RAID 0 controller would you recommend?

well, as identical as you can make them would be good. ideally, the drives should be identical in every way (access time, physical speed, interface speed, etc,). though you can use dissimilar disks, you will rpobably be giving up some performance when doing so. would be worth a shot i suppose.

and as far as an IDE RAID adapter card, i would go with a Promise FastTrack100 RAID adapter (~$80 to $100).
    "I think this day will go down as a black day in the history of mankind"

-Leo Szilard - December 2, 1942, following the first successful nuclear fission test.

If the drives are different sizes (Gigs), you will only be able to get double the size of your smallest drive for the config.. Is that what your're asking? And yes, you can use different size drives and makes, but I wouldn't from a performance standpoing

Blog Entries

To be a little more concise....

Yes,

The smaller and slower HD will be the limiting factor. I would, as Easto suggested, go with similar drives.

Hell_Yes

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity - Seneca

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche

I got (2) Identical WD 40 gig ATA 100 hd's. How would I go about setting up them in raid If i got that Promise Card?

Jesse
    The user formally known as jesse23

you would enter the Promise card's BIOS and use that to set up the RAID array.

i would wait until after the controller/drives have been set up to partition and format them.

-Leo Szilard - December 2, 1942, following the first successful nuclear fission test.

oh, and David.....

what kind of sustained read speeds do you get with your setup? od you have the KT7A-RAID (Highpoint controller)? and what drives are you using?

right now i am just using the RAID controller in regular mode (a couple old Data/Backup drives) at the moment, but have my eyes on a couple of 20 or 30 giggers to take advantage of the controller's RAID option.