Thread: Need xp64 software firewall

Need xp64 software firewall

To the admin:

I know this message may not seem as polite as it could be, but no hostility is meant and I honestly believe that the people DO NEED to hear this, because frankly, people like me are sick and tired of asking something, only to have it never get answered and turn into someone's thread to boast about what they think everyone should do. So I humbly and respectfully request that you let this message through, as I do have a request in here.

So please don't take this message to be intended as rude, but I just wish to save us all a lot of time, because most people don't bother to read carefully, nor do most offer any actual help, but rather, just want to show how smart they think they are. I'm sorry, but that's the way it is in forums and I have been searching for two days for answers to my situation and literally 95% of the responses on various forums, were from people not caring what the person wanted, or just flat out being rude, or only trying to impress themselves.

So if you're not going to specifically answer their specific request, with what they requested, then why answer at all?

In other words, don't worry about how you think they should run their system. Why can't you just answer their question and be done with it? Or if you can't, then don't respond. What in folks makes them think this is their opportunity to start an argument over how I run my system?!

So anyway, please, please, please, read my request carefully and please help me with what I actually requested info on. That is all I'm asking and frankly, it is a shame when so much of this crap goes on, that people actually have to start a request like this!

And please allow me to say up front, what I am NOT looking for, to save us all a lot of time:

1) I cannot use Comodo. I know many will be offended and think that means that they should attack me, but I'm not able to use it, period! When I try to install it, it stops my startup entries from running and my computer stops responding properly. And whether the Comodo fans want to hear it or not, this does happen on a lot of systems and the various forums will bear that out. So I don't care how well it works for you. It does not work for me. And no, that doesn't mean that you should tell me it's all my fault and my system needs to be redone, just to please your favorite app. And yes, people have been saying that kind of garbage to folks!

I cannot use the built in Windows firewall. It does not handle individual apps going out, only coming in.

2) Please do not tell about how I don't need a software firewall and should just use my router. That will not solve my problem and you are not helping, when you're not answering my question and think you know better than I do what I need. I'm not asking you to configure my system. I'm asking you for a software firewall recommendation for my OS, that's all.

The fact is, that hardware routers are not good setups for blocking specific apps from calling out to the Internet, period, end of story and I will not argue about it. There are people who need this feature and you folks keep telling them to use a router, even after they tell you this and that's ridiculous!

3) I do not want a software firewall that is complicated to use and takes time to set up each app, blah, blah, blah.

4) Please do not tell me about how I wouldn't need it, if I had a properly maintained system for malware, etc.. That's, frankly, is a load of crap! My system is configured properly! But sometimes apps do phone home and it doesn't appear to be malware and so, no alarms are triggered by that type of utility.

5) I do not want to go through hours and hours of configuring my system the way someone else thinks makes it "airtight". You have yours the way you want it. Fine. I'm happy for you. But I don't care what you want. I am requesting what I want.

And so now, for what I DO WANT.

I would like please, some suggestions for the following simple features, that will work under XP64.

I am looking for a software firewall and I don't care about all of the high tech features. All I need it to do, is operate the way that ZoneAlarm and PCTools do while running in the system tray, when a program tries to access the web, or for an incoming request.

In other words, a little popup appears and asks me if I want to allow or block it and has a check box to "remember" my choice for that one app and it's that simple, over and done with, period and it never bothers me again for that particular app/util. And that's ALL I NEED!

I would also like it if it has the way cool little red & green bars for inbound and outbound traffic in the tray icon, so that I can see what's going on. I am currently using OutPost, but it does not and that is kind of annoying.

Again, please, this request is not about you strutting your stuff in front of everyone. This is about helping me with my specific request. So if you're not interested in responding to my specific request, then please don't respond at all. There's no need to, right?

But fortunately, I know that there are some good, kind people in here, eager to help and so, I hope it is those whom I make contact with.

As the title suggests and as I said, I need one that will work in XP64. ZoneAlarm won't, nor will PCTools.

And as I said, I am currently using OutPost, which is nice, but lacks the ease of use features for the things I use it for. I get no feedback from the tray icon showing communication and it isn't that great about how one handles the popups.

Now I know there's a lot of people out there who use the more complex functions of a firewall, but I don't. I ONLY want it to ask me about inbound/outbound traffic when a program tries to access my system from the web, or tries to call out to the web. There are a lot of games out there, that "dial home" after install, but that don't act like malware (bear in mind that even uninfected programs that you just bought will many times contact the company to verify you, without you even knowing it) and I wish to be able to block that instantly, as I don't like info about me being sent to people, as I'm sure none of us do.

So are there any suggestions, please? And thanks up front to those who sincerely wish to help me! I really mean that!!!

And again Admin, I'm sorry for the tone of this in some places. I really do not mean any disrespect, nor any offense. I'm just so tired of people doing what they want and then getting upset when the person who asked for help asks why everyone is ignoring his/her actual request and then those people actually having the nerve to get ticked off at the person, because they had the gall to actually ask for help with what they asked for help with! These people think everyone should wipe and redo their systems the way they want them and that of course, is only after they have to buy the hardware they tell them to! It is just ridiculous!

Anyway, have a nice day folks! Hahaha!

Dave

Good god, put the what you need part first next time, I almost didn't make it through the rant.

XP x64 is a bit tricky to find stuff for, neverreally got popular and it didnt have much time at the top as the latest OS.

Look N Stop says it supports XP x64, its not freeware, though it does have a trial period and Wilders Security forum seems to like it.

http://www.looknstop.com/En/index2.htm

I'm not sure if its as simple as you're looking for though.

A guide on setting up LnS:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=83498

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    Good god, put the what you need part first next time, I almost didn't make it through the rant.

XP x64 is a bit tricky to find stuff for, neverreally got popular and it didnt have much time at the top as the latest OS.

Look N Stop says it supports XP x64, its not freeware, though it does have a trial period and Wilders Security forum seems to like it.

http://www.looknstop.com/En/index2.htm

I'm not sure if its as simple as you're looking for though.

A guide on setting up LnS:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=83498
    Note: I didn't put what I wanted first, because then no one would read it (they'd stop right there) and then I'd end up right where I didn't want to be.

Gee thanks for the great suggestion with the software!

The one thing it didn't really show me though, that I also forgot to ask about and am hoping that you know if it does or not, is that I would like it to be able to quickly and simply (like ZA & PCT), set it up so that an app can access my LAN, without accessing the WAN and without getting into a complicated set of rules.

In other words, in those two programs, you just go to the adapter setup and it for example, PCT has one for your NIC and one for WAN and you just put "Trusted" for your NIC and "Internet": for your WAN. That way, apps can access your LAN, but they can be blocked from the Internet in the "Apps List" window.

Now the link you gave me did talk about downloading a file sharing set of rules and I am assuming that does the same thing??? If so, does it affect all apps and is like the "Trusted" setting in PCT for the LAN for all apps?

I know you may not know all of this, but I figured what could it hurt to ask?

Thanks again for being so helpful and making a real suggestion! I had honestly never heard of that firewall before and I have been searching.

I am currently using OutPost, as I said and I know it is a good firewall, but it lacks this ease. If only ZA, or PCT would make one that would work in XP64!

Thanks again!

Dave

Unfortunately I have never used the program.

The wilders forum link is also their official forum, it would probably be the best place to get any answers to your questions on LnS.

The wilders forum link is also their official forum, it would probably be the best place to get any answers to your questions on LnS.
    I just tried it and it won't work. It gives an error and after researching, it seems that this is a common error and isn't really fixable, except by wiping the system and making it the first network util installed. Sorry, not gonna do it!

Thanks anyway though. And I did run across something that seems very "PCTools like", but you have to buy it without trying it.

http://www.pcsecurityshield.com/PP/d...dFireWall.aspx

Screen shots are on the right side.

It looks really nice and easy to use to set up apps and it is a lifetime key, but still, you know how some companies can be about refunds, if you don't like the product. It's hard to believe these days, that there are companies like this who don't allow a trial version to be downloaded. Bummer.

The links and buttons on their web site seem only to work in IE though.

I am really looking for something that allows me to allow or block individual apps from WAN connections and which will also allow them to see my LAN.

You would think that this would be an easy product to find, even for 64 bit, but it seems that what I'm running across, deals with setting up "rules". Well, what if an app meets that "rule", but is still doing something you don't want it to be doing on the Internet and you can't see it?

OutPost is a good firewall, but it doesn't behave as they say it should, not allowing me to just "Allow All" for an app (it will ask about an app, even after I said to let it go through), which they say should be an option. And I miss the pretty graphical icon that tells me when there's traffic. After all, if I've got nothing going on on my computer and I see the graphs pegged in the system tray, that alerts me that there's something I might want to check out, no?

P.S.: Just to show you exactly what it is I'm trying to accomplish here, if you look at the following link and look at the picture in it, you'll see a lit of apps and how you can choose what to do with each individual app.

http://www.armor2net.com/products/pgfilter.htm

That is the type of "protection" that I'm looking for. But it doesn't say if it works with x64. I did write to them though. Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll actually answer me back.

Take care.