Thread: Mouse curser on my laptop keeps moving off the screen of its own accord ??

Mouse curser on my laptop keeps moving off the screen of its own accord ??

I have a DELL Inspiron 8200 laptop & whether I use the touch pad or a wireless mouse which is close to the receiver & has fresh batteries, without notice the cursor will drift off into the top right or bottom left corner & disappear from the screen. When I try & pull it back it comes into view, then judders & pulls itself back off the screen. Occasionally the mouse stays on the screen & works fine. I have explored the control panel & not seen any obvious settings to prevent this happening or to correct it.

Every so often it wizzes across the screen from one corner to another and u cant stop or click on it.

I have ensured that the mouse reciever is fully pushed home in the USB port & its light comes on.

Thanks

have you tried disabling the touchpad?

It sounds like you're using an external mouse.
    Also give your mouse a thorough cleaning. either take the ball out or blow out the optical sensor really good.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Is it an optical mouse? What surface are you using it on?
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BaLa View Post
    have you tried disabling the touchpad?

It sounds like you're using an external mouse.
    Also give your mouse a thorough cleaning. either take the ball out or blow out the optical sensor really good.

my intuition is thinking along the same lines. kinda sounds like you have 2 input devices and one (for whatever reason) is sending input while youre using the other, or spontaniously on its own.

disabling the one youre not using could remedy the odd behavior, if the cause is what we're thinking.
    "Today is a black day in the history of mankind."

- Leo Szilard

this is the touchpad doing it..its likely dirty or has gone bad. Replacing it is very cheap if you look online but to test just disable it and use a USB mouse to check. You should be able to disable it through the Quickset utility for that laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    this is the touchpad doing it..its likely dirty or has gone bad. Replacing it is very cheap if you look online but to test just disable it and use a USB mouse to check. You should be able to disable it through the Quickset utility for that laptop.
    That's what I was thinking too. My keyboard has a touchpad I use for mouseclicks sometimes, otherwise I use the optical mouse. If the touchpad is dirty or right after I clean it it acts all funky.